Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

Here something that Ive been working on. Pic heavy

Horse'n Around

Ive been working on my Mom and Dads grave. My Mom died of cancer in 1981 and Dad made her headstone . He was always great at doing stonework so she asked him to make hers. One of Moms best friends Ann who was also her nurse is an artist that paints porcelain. Ann asked if she could paint a porcelain plaque for the grave. Over the years the sun has really done a number on it,its fading and some of the lettering is almost gone. Ive been debating how to go about saving it in a way that would not detract from Dads stonework . I made a iron framework and attached a piece of smoked plexiglass that is hinged.The plexiglass will be easy to replace when the sun gets to it, and it protects the plaque from the sun. I also worked in way to mount the tile painting that my sister painted and left at the grave about 8 mos ago.When my Dad died I buried his ashes with Mom so now they are both together. One day Im going to have marker made for both of them with a beautiful B&W picture of them when they were in their 20's. Ill leave Moms as is and put the new one where Dads military marker is. I think they would love it. Anyway,heres some before and after pics. Please forgive the sideways pictures, I wasn't able to figure out how to rotate them properly

John

downsized_1227001241.jpg

downsized_1227001241a.jpg

downsized_1227001242.jpg

downsized_1227001240.jpg

downsized_1227001241b.jpg

Picture146.jpg

Picture143.jpg

Picture144.jpg

Picture147.jpg

Kelly

Nice job, I love the stone work, and the plaque.

Redbirdman

Please forgive the sideways pictures,

No prob, I just turned the computer sideways........I am guessing by the soil/sand and sun they are in Arizona earth...I guess it's a tough place to be for a Navy man, I never did find a navy port here. But it is a dignified resting ground for military personel. You did them well Trooper!

ED

Coadster32

Tastefully done. Very nice. :banghead:

Your a good son.

smoreau

very nice. any mother and father would be proud of you!

Horse'n Around

Thanks you for the kind comments, its been a labor of love to be sure. When Dad did the stonework for Mom it was a tribute from him to her, and now I got the chance to do this for both of them. Like I said, I was blessed with wonderful parents, I really was, any kid would have been lucky to have them for parents!

John