Sign in to follow this  
persof

Deer fence

persof

I have problems with ground hogs and deer. How high a fence to keep the deer out?

Thanks

Francis

GlenPettit

Ground Hogs: I wished I knew, they seem very very smart. They will sit and smile at me, but as soon as I start to raise the sights on a gun, they disappear immediately.

Deer: Here in mid-Michigan, they recommend a 7' fence. I have a 4' chain-link fence and then just a single wire at 5.5' and at 7' on taller posts, seems to work well, also put T&G 2x6 around the base with 2' green-coated chicken-wire tacked to the wood, to keep the rabbits out. Expensive, but the peace-of-mind keeping most the critters out is worth it. No solution to the raccoon problem, yet.

I use twirling mirrors for the birds (old CD disks on spinners, about 12 all over the garden), seems to work well (plus the plastic owl).

My garden is 70'x110' with berries, etc. Makes me very happy to eat well from it and share the harvest.

jtmoyer

Ground Hogs: I wished I knew, they seem very very smart. They will sit and smile at me, but as soon as I start to raise the sights on a gun, they disappear immediately.

c4 :hide:

take a fishing pole with a closed eye on the end of the line and tie the line so it makes a loop through the eye. place the loop around the ground hog hole and feed out some line to a nice comfy chair with some :thumbs: , the just wait till mr ground hod pops up and :ROTF::banghead: . i just don't think i would wind him in to far. might make a good stew to share with the harvest though. :hide:

6wheeler

In some states that would be considered a sport :banghead:. I wonder how much beer and chips it would take to catch him. HOG FISHIN tournaments, I can see it now :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Hog on! :banghead:

jtmoyer

when i was growing up in western kansas i all ways wanted to do that with the prairie dogs. they would get fairly tame from the trucks driving in the fields, you could shoot at them and they would be back up out of there hole in 2 min.

Shuboxlover

I would recommend at LEAST a .270.... maybe a 30.06 :banghead:

YUMMY

jtmoyer

ok, so back to the thread...

the guy at the apple orchard said they tie travel size soap around to keep the deer away. might work for the ground hogs.

Shuboxlover

the guy at the apple orchard said they tie travel size soap around to keep the deer away. might work for the ground hogs.

A buddy of mine did this too, he got on the internet and bought a whole case of hotel room size soap, I can't remember if it ended up working or not, I'll ask him tomorrow and let you know, but if that guy that owns an apple orchard says it works, then go for it, he would know better than anyone.

p.s. my buddy did this for the deer...

what about poison/traps for the ground hogs :banghead:

persof

Last year I trapped about 20 ground hogs in a little ove three weeks!!! What a pain getting rid of them. This reduced the local population substantially but soon new hogs moved in, so I made an electric fence .

Fence.jpg

Is seven foot my best bet for deer control?

Hawks sitting in my trees seem to keep the bunny devistators in check.

Thanks

Francis

puddlejumper

Just a hairbrained thought. Since they are a rodent you might try chucking some tomcat or other good rat poisin in their holes. It probably will work early season. but after spring greenup I think they will choose a dandelion over the bait. But it may work all season. If it works to well it may be better to trap them than put up with the odor. And besides whistle pig and new taters dont make for a bad meal.(Dont forget the biscuits)

MikesRJ

I would recommend at LEAST a .270.... maybe a 30.06 :thumbs:

YUMMY

Personally, I don't think you need to go that high. A well placed .243 would suffice for both. :banghead:

rob65

Have you tried Coyote urine for the ground hogs? You can buy it at the Agway.

privateer

We got a woodchuck problem around here too.

For the chucks, I made a 18 ince bend in some heavy duty chicken wire at the base of the garden area that lays on the ground. It is at a 90 degree angle from the fence and will get covered over by the grass. The chucks starts to dig at the base of the fence and hit the chicken wire and give up. Works great.

The hav-a-hart traps catch plenty of them and they go for one last swim in a garbage can full of water.

Good luck

WheelHorse_of_course

For more on the electric fence option see my post here:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...=21919&hl=fence

Smoke bombs from the farm store work well on the ground hogs, plus the electric fence will work well too.

Just be sure to bait the fence with aluminum foils and peanut butter both low and high so both the dear and the wood chucks check it out while it is working optimally.