Docwheelhorse

Wheel Horse 1054 with loader PICS

Docwheelhorse

Hello All--I went out and unloaded the 1054 and tucked it in a corner with a tarp until I can come up with a battle plan and a nice cozy place to tuck it to work on it. Here are the pics everyone has asked for.... She is beautiful and I can't wait to get her back in the fight!!! :banghead:

Tony

0117110939-1.jpg

0117110941.jpg

0117110942-1.jpg

0117111058.jpg

0117110940.jpg

0117111114-1.jpg

0117111056.jpg

• Like 4

Gene_S

Looks like a great project Doc and thanks for posting the pictures... :banghead:

I wish my loader on my 1054 set that far forward... <_<

sorekiwi

Very very nice Tony! :banghead:

fireman

Tony that looks great! Can't wait to see it when your finished :banghead:

Sparky

Hmmmm.....is this the first rear engine rider ever made with a loader :banghead: .

I saw this up and close guys and its a great restoration candidate. I cant wait for it to be finished so I can borrow it!

Mike..........

jdihc4x4

Great project!!!! Would love to have the loader!!!!

Cleaverkid

Nice looking tractor and attachment! That really looks like a great project just waiting! :banghead:

mattd860

Hello All--I went out and unloaded the 1054 and tucked it in a corner with a tarp until I can come up with a battle plan and a nice cozy place to tuck it to work on it. Here are the pics everyone has asked for.... She is beautiful and I can't wait to get her back in the fight!!! :thumbs:

Tony - does that trailer fold in half? I have the same exact trailer that my neighbor just gave me for free last week. It was sitting deep in the woods with a pile of cut and split wood on it and I asked him if I could pay him for it. His wife overheard me asking and loudly barged in telling me to please take it off her property asap. I guess he brought it home years ago and it just sat there and became an eye sore for the missus.

Even came with the seasoned wood for free :banghead:

I'm glad to see you hauling your wheel horse with it because I was a bit leery about putting my tractors on it but now I will feel more comfortable!

can whlvr

:banghead: cant wait to see the progress,the loader will be handy,maybe u could put a honda in it :thumbs:

rickv1957

Nice one Tony!! :banghead:

AMC RULES

WOW, what a find right there. :banghead: Nice to know they're still out there.

bitten

Tony

Look you dont even have the room for that and the rest of them, just tell me what time to be there and I will get them out of your way :banghead: looks like you have a nice one there.

the_nite_owl

Tony - does that trailer fold in half? I have the same exact trailer that my neighbor just gave me for free last week. It was sitting deep in the woods with a pile of cut and split wood on it and I asked him if I could pay him for it. His wife overheard me asking and loudly barged in telling me to please take it off her property asap. I guess he brought it home years ago and it just sat there and became an eye sore for the missus.

Even came with the seasoned wood for free :)

I'm glad to see you hauling your wheel horse with it because I was a bit leery about putting my tractors on it but now I will feel more comfortable!

That trailer appears to be the folding trailer Harbor Freight sells and has a capacity of 1,195 pounds.

I wanted one of those but I wanted the higher capacity of the next model up that handles 1,720 pounds.  The next model up does not come as a folding trailer though it is identical to the other one except for the stronger axel and the folding accessories.

I decided to modify my trailer to fold and improved on the design by making the arms to hold the roller wheels store horizontally underneath the trailer on spring loaded rotating locking arms.  I also made spring loaded handles on the sides that lock the two halves of the trailer together flat.  You pull the handle out and rotate it to unlock and when you fold the bottom half up the handle rotates and locks into the other half to keep it together.  The Harbor Freight version has the wheel frames permanently mounted on the outside edge of the trailer where they can get in the way and it uses bolts to lock the trailer halves flat on the frame so it takes tools to fold it up and they recommend bungee cords to keep it folded upright which can be dangerous.

It took me a while to come up with the design but it is easy to build.  The angle iron for the wheel arms was a mistake as it bends too easily so I used more angle iron later on and made it into square tube.

I also swapped out the original brake lights with submersible LED lights from Harbor Freight.  They require a lot less current than the original so I do not need an adaptor box in my car to drive the brake lights and signals on the trailer.

post-12697-0-69660300-1400591046_thumb.j

the_nite_owl

OK, back on subject...

Tony, I have the same model loader on my D-160 but it is missing the pieces that connect the hydraulic cylinder from the lift frame to the bucket to allow for tilting the bucket.  Right now the hydraulic cylinder attaches directly to the bucket from the lift frame and does not provide enough movement to properly tilt the bucket for dumping.  I suspect the hydraulic cylinder is not original as well as it is very short.

Any chance I can get you to take some close ups of the missing parts and give me some dimensions of them so that I can fabricate replacements?

Below is a picture of how my loader is setup on front at this time.

post-12697-0-96675700-1400591605_thumb.j

Brrly1

Hey Doc, any updates? Its been awhile, did you ever finish?

hcminis

Awesome find.  Would love to see more pics.  Especially how the pump and FEL is attached to the frame.

the_nite_owl

Doc, could you do me a huge favor and get me a few measurements from your loader so I can accurately fabricate my own?

In the jpeg attachment below I labeled the measurements I need.

A: Length of forward set of brackets.

B: Length of middle set of brackets

C: Total length of rear set of brackets and depth of middel set where they are welded together.

D: Length from bottom of forward set of brackets to the center of the pivot hole.

E: Length from back of middle bracket to front of rear bracket.

That should  be all I need to get mine working.

Thanks.

Trent

post-12697-0-17913900-1400681483.jpg

Docwheelhorse

Hi, I will get to it over the weekend and get the dimensions too you

Tony

P.S.---3 years and its still sitting in the same spot... never started the project (sigggghhhhhhh) its still a "dream" and hopefully sooner rather than later...

• Like 1

the_nite_owl

Thanks Doc.

I should not need pictures, just the basic measurements.

My estimate is that measurements A, B and C are all about 14"

Measurement D is about 6" and E is 5" - 6".

I got these numbers by looking at the size of the hydraulic cylinder and staring at a LOT of different photographs of these loaders and judging the scale from different angles.  I might do find making the parts by these measurements but when dealing with angles and hydraulics a small change can make a huge difference and I am not an engineer so...  Besides it would be best if this looked all factory by the time I was done.

I am almost done with the tractor.  I have some touch up work to do on the paint and I am going to re-paint the hood after smoothing it out with some bondo.  I did not get that detailed with the rest of the tractor but the hood stands out more than the rest and should be smooth.  All the rust pitting on it really shows with the shiny new paint.

I am also making my own adaptor to give the tractor foot pedal forward/reverse control since the only kit available does not cover my model.  It looks to be an easy conversion though and I will maintain hand control as well.

The original gas tank was long gone and an odd shaped plastic one was in it's place mounted to a wooden block so I decided to go with a 5 gallon aluminum tank that I think looks great on the tractor.  I considered painting it but it just looks so nice as it is.

Last night I completed a simple tray to put the three weight plates into and bolted it to the 3 point hitch.  The tractor would get stuck every time I took it into the yard with the weight of the loader on the front.  Now it does great.  Eventually I plan on building a box blade/scraper and the weight box will bolt onto that but I needed something to hold the weight right now.

post-12697-0-23600000-1400763387_thumb.j