Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Round hood project

Kelly

Engine is in, choke and throttle hooked up, new drive belt installed, I'm putting lights on it, but don't want to use a orig. set of lights, so I picked up a pair of 50w driving lights from Wally world, I don't think they look to bad, the light bar is orig. the HY pump on it is a old one just to see how things line up, Wiring will be next, it's getting close, shouldn't be long now, here it is outside while I sweep up.

100_3178.jpg

100_3179.jpg

100_3180.jpg

100_3181.jpg

VinsRJ

Dang its amazing how fast some of you guys move on these things.

Looks great! :banghead:

Kelly

Just remember it's not a restore, so the paint is just a quick job, prep work was very little, up close it does not look this good, but mechanically it is like new, I fixed or replaced all the mech. parts, some day it will get taken back apart and redone paint wise the right way, and some better sheet metal, the hood and toolbox and belt guard are kinda ruff, but for now they will be just fine.

Ken B

That is lookin real nice Kelly. There is something to be said for not putting to nice of a paint job on a tractor. You can use this tractor all you want with no worries of knickin the paint up.

Sparky

Lookin great Kelly! Your uncle woulda been proud of what you've done to his tractor.

Mike.........

smoreau

:banghead: wow that does look great. can't wait to see it. might be the first or second week end in feb. my van blew a head gasket yesterday and I should have it fixed by then, or new wheels. nice job Kelly :ROTF: :thumbs:

rwilson

Kelly that tractor is looking great. Keep up the good work!

can whlvr

wow,nice work,i agree that not all tractors need to be show condition,more horses can be saved that way,especially when they are mecanically fit and ready to go :banghead:

wh-jason

that tractor looks great. here is my 702, it took 2 tractors to make this one. the donor machine had that same hydraulic pump, i kick my self in the @$$ everyday for not taking it off before i junked the rest of it :banghead: ...but that was before i had room to store a bunch of parts. i fixed this one up for my daughter (shes 6 now) im not even allowed to drive it. :thumbs:

702.jpg

Gene_S

Lookin pretty good Kelly... :banghead: I like the light setup I bet they will be a little brighter the the originals...

just me

Looks awesome!

Kelly

Got some of the wiring done, I picked up a NOS hencol key switch,(it's aged but new) it's just a on/off switch, it's not the orig. two prong key but will be just fine.

100_3196.jpg

I built my own batt. cables, the red pos. ones I picked up at the junk yard last fall, we have a local shop that builds fire trucks and they throw lots of new stuff out, so I bring a lot home, the cables had one factory end, I had to add the other and the shrink tubing, the neg. cable I bought welding cable and added ends.

factory ends, adding shrink tubing.

100_3202.jpg

ends I added.

100_3201.jpg

welding cable, with end to be added.

100_3203.jpg

all done.

100_3204.jpg

all cables ready, and the wiring about done, I used crip on ends but pulled the blue plastic off, and used shrink tubing for a cleaner look, need to cut to fit and add the other ends.

100_3205.jpg

100_3206.jpg

just me

Kelly did you primer everything? And what did you use for paint? Looks so good

Kelly

I used NO primer on anything, just sanded and painted, I used Rust oleum Regal red, it's a bit dark to the orig. red, but I like it, like I said this was a mechanical restore not a cosmetic one

tgordonjr

looks great you could of fooled me with it just being a mechanical restoratioin it looks brand new, good job

Kelly

Well here it is all wired and running, well not running in the picture, but I took it for a spin down the road, I need to wire the lights, but other than that wiring is done, one more step to being completed, I also made the light switch mount bracket, and the new batt. tray holder, they are drying as I type.

100_3218.jpg

100_3219.jpg

can whlvr

nice,if thats only a mechanical id really like to see a proper restoration :banghead:

Kelly

The biggest difference to me is the paint and prep work, I didn't use very good sheet metal and it shows, looking at it up close, lots of pits, some dings and dents, the toolbox was very rusty, so was the hood, when I redo it someday those parts and a few others will get replaced, the paint is just rattle can and does not hold up well, gas eats it, chips and scratches very easy, and with it being winter VERY VERY slow to dry, even tho I can get it near 70 deg. in the shop I don't keep it there all the time, I can leave finger prints in just about every part on it, I work in a body shop I'm used to being able to handle parts with care in a matter of hours, and be pretty much fully dry the next day, so to me I'm calling it a 10 foot paint restore if you will.

I installed the HY-3 lift kit, all rebuilt, and new hoses, it is very fast and powerful, this is the first tractor I've owned that had a fully functional HY kit on it, I think it's kinda cool, I have a few more of them to install on more round hoods.

100_3226.jpg

With belt guard

100_3239.jpg

100_3229.jpg

Cody

Kelly the tractor looks great, was the hole there for the push button switch or did you drill it? I am restoring an 854 with the HY3 but the PO has it wired with a newer indak key switch and i would like to put it back to original. also should my 854 have a key switch or toggle switch for the on/off? I cant wait to see your tractor done it looks awesome, a real thing of beauty.

TT

The holes are already there on the 1963 hoodstands.

The 854 would have had the "heavy duty" three terminal ignition switch. Battery & starter cables were connected directly to the switch and no solenoid was used.

Cody

Thank you TT, I even happen to have a NOS three terminal switch on the shelf.

Kelly

Just make sure it's a Batt. ign. switch not a mag switch, here is a mag switch, you can see the ground tab on the back, but the switch looks just like this one.

100_3246.jpg

100_3247.jpg

Kelly

Well it's pretty much done, I ordered new tires 10.50 ags for the rear, and I had a new set of 4.00x 8 tri ribs, in the barn for a future project, and I guess this is it, I need to sand blast and paint the rims, I'm going to use epoxy primer and automotive enamel paint on them, that way I don't have to mess with them at a later date, but this will take a few weeks to get the blasting done and painted, I also need to install the seat cover, but I need a extra set of hands to get it tight.

But for now the lights are wired, switch mount finished, I used a new switch that is the same as a orig. ones, the 50w halogen lights are bright, I used a stock tail light.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, like I keep saying it was only a mechanical restore, and a quick paint job, it's far from pretty up close, but will be fine for a working tractor, that way when I scratch it, I won't cry as much, I think my Uncle would have been happy with how it turned out.

I have way more into this rebuild that I planned but doing a good job, takes money I guess, I'm just glad I have my own junk yard of tractors or it would have cost lots more.

Light switch and mount

100_3254.jpg

lights

100_3250.jpg

100_3251.jpg

done with hood waiting for new rubber

100_3258.jpg

100_3259.jpg

100_3260.jpg

100_3261.jpg

100_3262.jpg

Sparky