Sign in to follow this  
rustbucket

progress report and pictures so far.

rustbucket

so today while i was off slaveing for my boss at a job site my dad had the day off and tinkered on the good old GT-14. we where able to salvage a starter switch off the parts GT and my dad went to town rewireing most of the tractor with what wireing was already instaled. needles to say it cranks runs and the head lights and clutch all work as they should and my red neck ignition system was removed. see you all friday with my GT at the show

bowtieguy

Jason...I always look for your GT updates....I'm sure someone has told you by now not to mix tranny oils.....my GT-14 had never been changed and it still had the origional Type A fluid in it.....the oil was not dirty and did not smell burned so I just change the filter (also still original WH filter)....and topped it off with new Type A fluid.....just for your info, Type A is still available in Missouri.....MFA Oil still sells it as Type A anyway

MFA stands for Missouri Farmers Association and has been around for a long, long time serving the agri market in Missouri.....we still have alot of vehicles and stuff still running in Mo that originally called for Type A...guess that is why they still market that oil.....but it could be the same as Dextron III, who knows

Anyway, will look for your ole faded red GT...maybe I'll compare yours with a pic of mine....(the GT would not fit in a seat of a Boeing 747)....see ya at the show

rustbucket

well my dad plans to have at least some of her painted over to hide the um "body work" we did to the hood as of current. we used bondo to fix a bit of the hood and such but all in all she looks in good condition.

rustbucket

where to start. should i just list my haul from the show and let you all figure out whats doing what??

new voltage rectifier since old one shot

full hydro system cylinder control valve and hoses

70's model hood with all the rails and such needed to hook it all in

a D series steering wheel sized for the GT-14's steering colum.

proper air intake and so on along with a detailed parts breakdown and a few evil ideas

almost forgot those lovely recreation plastic dash panels that steve refracman has on sale there. and man did they fly off the table. good thing i got mine in the very early morning.

rustbucket

heres my haul from the show on friday i even managed to sneak the lot of it out past the red square tent without anyone seeing it and that was hard hehe.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1214065900.jpg

rustbucket

the new hood is now instaled with its rails as well we put on the new air cleaner assembly we bought and i already put the new voltage rectifier on at the show we just planing later when we tear it all down for frame up re build to burry it like steve and the others say to do. also mounted the hydro cylender with two clevis type pins for now since it will have to come back out for plumbing. used one of the longer hoses to seal the cylinder so no gunk gets into it or the hydro system.

rustbucket

i bought a new steering wheel to replace the ratty nasty one i had and it came with a center emblem that was faded and kinda not popping out colour wise si i took a little liberty and am repainting it in wheel horse colours and all to make it a much better center cap that will stand out next year at the show.

2008-06-22-73366.jpg

the cap as i have painted so far. and yes there is over paint that will be taken care of hehe.

rustbucket

the fully painted and varneshed emblem for the steering wheel. hope it looks alright to you all i dunt want to anget anyone with me painting it.

Attached Image

post-3-1214264107.jpg

Sparky

As long as you dont paint it green and yeller :whistle: its fine with us.

Mike............

rustbucket

i would never paint anything wheel horse the colour of something that runs from work.

Buzz

the fully painted and varneshed emblem for the steering wheel. hope it looks alright to you all i dunt want to anget anyone with me painting it.

Looks good Jason. Did you know the GT-14 is the featured tractor at next years show? Time for you to get busy. :whistle:

rustbucket

i was there friday i was the ugly duckling parked next to your sikle bar beauty remember. all on friday. hehe and trust me im already adding my parts and makeing her ready for the ball next year.

Buzz

I remember meeting you and your dad. I think he was a little surprised at how many different type of Wheel Horses were there. Keep us posted on your progress.

rustbucket

yeah he said he dosnt like the D series at all said they are too boxy for his tastes and said he might look for one of his own after playing with mine as much as he dose. so next year the big white van might be haulin a small trailer.

linen beige

i would never paint anything wheel horse the colour of something that runs from work.

I hate to admit it, but I have a D-160 that the prev. owner painted in JD green and yeller. I haven't taken the time to blast it and refinish. I did have it tarped in the back yard, but it's so ugly the tarp's split and it's bustin' out! I bet your dad would love it!

rustbucket

lol nah he dosnt have any fondness for the D series any others he would fall for but he said the D's just dont do it for him to boxy and blocky. his words not mine.

rustbucket

me on the other hand if you can post a pic of it ill think about it for next show if possable. always looking to add another red to my mix breed herd... hmmm 2 jacobsens of the 60's vintage and a GT-14 of 69 vintage need anuther horse to balance out the herd numbers.

WheelHorse_of_course

Rust

with regards to the breakerless ignition.

Have you modded it as recommended by Kohler. I think you add a resistor somewhere.

I have decided to leave mine alone, but since yours did blow the trigger module maybe you want to go that route.

If you needed the details on the mod let me know and I will look it up.

rustbucket

well we think the trigger was shot cause it sat in the elements un covered for 10 to 15 years with nuthing to keep it safe. we added a whole ignition and charging system minus the spark plug and wire and the coil other then that all new. new trigger new stators new voltage rectifier.

rustbucket

okay heres going to be a question might get me in trouble. dose anyone know of a good source for lower lift arms and the adjutable drop links so i can finish off my 3-point hitch seeing as how everywhere i looked and everyone i spoke to dosnt know where to find the GT's parts. and good source will do even if i need to mod the parts.

rustbucket

also should add a few pics of what i did the other day and see what you all think so far. this is not the steering wheel emblem againe so your all safe from that hehe.

2008-06-24-70669.jpg

hydro control vaulve for my 3-point lift.

refracman

Jason

Glad to have meet ya at the show. Have to say your well on your way to whippin the GT into shape!

As for the 3pt parts keep a eye on epay for the arms, the lift links are goin to be a little harder to find.

And I havent forgot to get them pics of the remote 3pt lift. just tryin to catch up with paperwork for work. should have them by fri for sure.

HorseFixer

As long as you dont paint it green and yeller :whistle: its fine with us.

Mike............

Ill second that Mr. Chairman!! :WRS:

Duke

rustbucket

062708_1925a.jpg

062708_1925b.jpg

its amazing to see what two little white paint pens cant do to remakes of the GT-14's dash pannel's. of course now they need to air dry for several days to achive proper cure on the paint before we UV spray screen them. the reason for two was not cause they cover so little we used two different tip sizes. fine tip for small stuff and wide tip for big stuff.

bowtieguy

Jason, good to meet ya just before I left the show sat.....wish I was closer and I would make you a good deal on my GT-14 with 3 pt lift....BUT I have seen GT's parted out on ebay, so keep your eyes open....have you tried Joes Outdoor?...I think he parted one out not long ago

Tell you dad he would look good on an ole WH round nose tractor...was good to meet him also....or should I say, "I'm glad you brought your dad to the show" lol

Will keep an eye out for ya and GT stuff :whistle: