Sign in to follow this  
rustbucket

progress report and pictures so far.

rustbucket

Put on the new seat i got from tractor supply as well repainted the engine tins after stripping them with aluminum oxide in a blast booth. also rehooked up the coil and everything else to where they belonged.

Attached Image

post-3-1210208086.jpg

rustbucket

anuther shot before seat added

Attached Image

post-3-1210208228.jpg

Brrly1

Jason Well all I can say is that it sure looks like you and the other newby (WH69GT-14) both have your work cut out for you. The best part about it is you are working with the best tractor that Wheel Horse built (which of course is my own opinion but entitled to it). It was the first Wheel Horse tractor I ever sat on and used as it was my dads and the best part is I now have the tractor. I have a friend who lives not far from me who also enjoys the GT's who could also help you out if there becomes any problems. I wish you and WH69GT-14 the best of luck

John

rustbucket

i think im in better ground then WH69GT-14 is my tractor is all there and complete its just a matter of removeing the rust and repainting and rewireing it now then tinkering on the deck. i have the full hydro rear as well as everything else only broken/missing things i have is a busted steerign wheel and the deck lift lever is busted off below the control panel. the 14 HP kohler runs strong and the hydro rear operates flawlessly.. not bad for a tractor that sat in the elements with no cover except a trash bag over the engine for 4 years.

rustbucket

update on the GT-14 i got a new hydro filter for the side of the transaxle and was wondering what brand and type of ATF im supposed to use since the manual only says ATF fluid. any GT guru please let me know.

TT

update on the GT-14 i got a new hydro filter for the side of the transaxle and was wondering what brand and type of ATF im supposed to use since the manual only says ATF fluid. any GT guru please let me know.

They originally used "Type A" ATF, but it is almost impossible to locate. The modern substitute is Dexron III. Buy at least 7 quarts - it doesn't hold quite that much, but at least you'll have a little extra for later.

rustbucket

thank's TT i went nuts in the auto parts store the other day and drove every last kid working there nuts asking about type A. they where all well there's type F. i said no i need type A or something like it. but i gave up when i got the blank stare of zoning out.

linen beige

They originally used "Type A" ATF, but it is almost impossible to locate. The modern substitute is Dexron III.

My lubrication recomendation chart says in bold type USE DEXRON II. It is the only bold type on the page. But you probably will not find DEXRON II ( I'm told it was discontinued more than 2 years ago, but I bought a quart at O'Reilly's about 6 months ago,), and DEXRON III has replaced it. Last week I found a whole case of DEXRON II that I bought back in '92 and forgot about!

glenn27

Correct-o-mundo on the "A" type Dexron. If memory serves me correctly-when I was a teen working @ the Esso station (shows how long ago that was) :D

The "A" was for Chrsler and GM products, and Fords called for "F' type...

Seems like more/more of these GT-14's are showing up. The wireing on mine was so butchered--with most of the sheet metal off--I just rewired mine completely w/ color-correct wires--had to replace the ign. switch, and ammeter, but now it'll be right--just got to get back to that project! :whistle::WRS:

Keep us informed...

rustbucket

dunt worry ill keep ya all up to date. I am haveing to wire in a none WH ignition switch to mine cause i just dunt have the 50 bucks or was it 60 that toro wanted for a correct one so im useing an MTD switch. also sunk several hundred into the stator and trigger moduel when i first got it so we could even get her to where she is today.

rustbucket

just got the control lever to raise and lower the deck from Steve and will possably be installing it with all the remaining bits and parts i have on hand currently onto the GT-14 this weekend. I get to go mow one of my bosses houses tomarow with my jacobson woot. front yard is a swamp cause of rain fall so our commercial mowers cant go threw it but good old ag dualies can hehehe.

rustbucket

drained the oil and tranny today on the GT for the first time ever since aquiering her earlier this year. all i can say is the engine oil was the colour of coffee with too much milk or cream added but there are no leaks anywhere in the engine. we put in thick nice new military surplus 30 weight oil. we also put new dextron 3 in the trans after changeing the filter and everything else. i noticed that the rear hitch um well it hits and rubs on the drain plug for the trans so i took it off for now till i can get a new plug as well as my 3-point hitch. i got to run out one of these weekends and grab that parts tractor so i can pull that all off and send the rest on to 69GT-14

rustbucket

i hope to show up this year for the show and possably bring along my rusty old GT-14 to the show. please dont bash me for its looks im a bit slower in my restoration work then some ive seen. i still need parts and bits here and there but everything works lovely includeing the electric clutch wich i tested today and it engaged without any glitches.

Buzz

please dont bash me for its looks

I hope you can bring it Jason, and don't worry about anyone bashing it's looks. this will be my 7th show and I have never heard any one putting down a Wheel Horse because it was rusty or painted with spray cans. Almost everyone there is glad to see someone that thinks enough of their 'Horse to to bring it..... We're not car show people where because I spent $15,000 on my paint job and you only spent $10,000, your's is a piece of junk :whistle: ...........

rustbucket

thanks buzz. what day is the parade? friday or saturday and at what time? i may drag the GT out if i can hit the parade or i may just bring it to put around on hehe

Buzz

The parade is around 1:00 on friday but the most fun is "cruise night" after the membership meeting and ice cream social Friday night :whistle:

CHARGER9AUTO

The parade is around 1:00 on friday but the most fun is "cruise night" after the membership meeting and ice cream social Friday night :WRS:

:whistle: We all scream for Ice Cream at the show. Ben

rustbucket

i just realized the GT-14 wont fit inside the back of my ford E-250 van >.< well looks like ill be on the look out for a trailer for behind the van. is it safe to bring a non horse tractor if its of sufficient old age or only horses?

TT

is it safe to bring a non horse tractor if its of sufficient old age or only horses?

Pond, Wheel Horse, or Toro/Wheel Horse tractors and equipment only, Jason.

Everything else has to stay in the parking lot.

Will the GT-14 fit without the deck? :whistle:

rustbucket

wasnt thinking of bringing it with deck it sits to high to fit threw the back doors i think but will do meassurements tomarrow to double check and make sure if it will or wont. ah well looks like the jacobson gets to sit at home and be lonely. hehe

rustbucket

update on GT-14 as you all know from other posts elsewhere i got my parts tractor and am tinkering with it a bit and then the rest of it goes on to the other GT guy in my area up in new york. we have sanded and bondo'd the hood of the GT and are doing small metal work here and there as well as swapping bits and peices that where a hair better then we had also looking for the lower arms and any other little bit to finish our 3-point hitch system. we have the axle frame for it as well as the top rocker arm but no conecting links from the rocker to where ever it goes under the tractor to work lift wise as well we are missing the lower lift arms and the links for them from the top rocker arm. would also be sweet to find the hydro lift for it or a way to rig something up in the optional hydro lifts mount spot. maybe a linear actuator.

HorseFixer

wasnt thinking of bringing it with deck it sits to high to fit threw the back doors i think but will do meassurements tomarrow to double check and make sure if it will or wont. ah well looks like the jacobson gets to sit at home and be lonely. hehe

Jason how about taking the wheels off :whistle: I brought a 400 Suburban home from North Carolina to Michigan In my Jeep Grand Cherokee. A couple months later ran into a snag when picking up a RJ-57 had to take the rear wheels off to get it in thru the rear door. :WRS: That might save you some cash waggin a trailer to the show. Just a thought. :D By the way nice tractor!! I have its cusins a 953 and 1054 I like those cast iron fron ends! :D

Duke

rustbucket

we found out by hauling the GT-14 parts tractor i got home in the van that they do fit even with the high back seats on em so its all green light for no trailour fun to the show next weekend.

Teddy da Bear

The "A" was for Chysler and GM products, and Fords called for "F' type...

Do mean to tell me that the Gt-14 could be "Mopar" powered??? :WRS: :whistle:

rustbucket

>.>

<.<

um well there has been tinkering under the hood but thats as far as ill say lol.......J/K all we did was ustick a stuck exhasut valve and redid the "breakerless"ignition. no idea if the chargeing system works cause ignition switch not wired and um well havent had time to put in a new one what with all the running to grab other tractors and hot sweaty landscaper work.