Sign in to follow this  
jlangdon

Tiller Help

jlangdon

Hello fellas, I brought this problem of mine up back in June and am just now armed with pictures of my fathers tiller. My issue is that I have mated up a much older tiller model to my dads 516H tractor. I functions just fine, but my dad can't quite lift the tiller out of the ground with the lifting lever alone. I fabricated and mounted a secondary lifting arm that comes up under the operators right arm and latter added an extension that allows him to push on the lever with his right foot as well. He can get the job done now, but still isn't the ease of operation I am looking for, for him. I have noticed during my searches for a remedy that there should be a helper spring connected from the tiller to the tractor that will assist in lifting. My hold up is that I have no clue what model of tiller we have and don't come across a manual online that looks like this tiller. If you all could help me identify this tiller or the size specs of this spring and where it mounts on the tiller and the tractor, my dad and I would really appreciate it greatly. Just trying to help my non mechanical father out.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge sharing!

OK, I am having no luck getting my pictures on this post, can someone tell me how it is done. It tells me that I can't use this type of file on my post. My pictures are in JPEG format if that helps with the diagnosis. :banghead:

can whlvr

if nobody else comes up with the needed info today,i will maesure and take a pic of the spring from my tiller,mine is a 1978,i dont think the spring would change much over the years,the same spring works on snowblowers as well the part # for a 1980 tiller is4629,its about 25 bucks at parts tree,that is if your tiller is around that era

Shuboxlover

OK, I am having no luck getting my pictures on this post, can someone tell me how it is done. It tells me that I can't use this type of file on my post. My pictures are in JPEG format if that helps with the diagnosis. :thumbs:

Get a photobucket account (free)

upload the photo's you want to post

once they uploaded, scroll over the image and LEFT click on the bottom "img code"

come back to your thread and right click in the message box and paste that link....

it's that easy.

good luck :banghead:

jlangdon

Thank you both very much for responding, I will get signed up with photobucket tonight after the daughter is in bed and get my pictures posted.

:banghead:

can whlvr

here is a pic of my tiller,i worked a long day today but tomorow i will look uy the model number,the spring hooks to that eye hook just behind the left tire in the pic,the eye loop is on the front frame of tiller,the spring hooks to the axle on mine,i hook it to a bolt that is part of the plow and tiller attachamatic,if u dont want to buy a toro spring i still can post a pic and measurement of this spring if u have another source for the spring,tomorow ill have a little time,the spring is worth the money,it helps alot 082-1.jpg

jlangdon

Here are the photos I have of the tiller and tractor, hopefully you guys can help me identify the model. If you can give me the specs. on that spring I'm sure I can find one somewhere. My brother-in-law works for Grainger if nothing else.

I didn't realize how dirty the girl was until I saw her on the computer. She is a working horse.

Thanks again fellas, you are a wealth of :thumbs: knowledge!

PicturesJan2011097.jpg

PicturesJan2011084.jpgPicturesJan2011086.jpgPicturesJan2011087.jpgPicturesJan2011098.jpgPicturesJan2011082.jpg

gwest_ca

You can download an operator manual for the 1996-2001 model 79370 from

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Use 6912345 for a serial number.

There is a picture of the spring hooked up on page 10.

Garry

jlangdon

OK, I know where the spring hooks up now. Does anyone have the dimensions for the assist spring. Overall length, spring outside diameter, and wire diameter?

Thank you for directing me to the assembly view, that will be very helpful!

gwest_ca

This was posted somewhere in the past

Spring # 90106 replaced by # 4629

The 4629 spring is 7-1/2" between the hooks.

The coil is 1-1/2" in diameter x 5-1/2" long.

There are 24-1/2 coils and the wire is .220" diameter.

Hope it is correct.

Garry

jlangdon

Awsome! Thank you. Everything sounds good except the .220 wire diameter, but it may be. If it is, gosh damn!

can whlvr
IMG_0470.jpgIMG_0473.jpg here are 2 pics if this helps

can whlvr

what is the black metal thing in the pic,i see the spot on the tiller is for a cement block but whats the long metal bracket that looks to go under the tractor?

jlangdon

The entire black structure is my version of a secondary lifting arm. The long black C-channel coming from the top of the tiller goes up under the operators right elbow w/ a hand grip at the end. Then another piece of C-channel shoots down to the operators right foot (not under the tractor) with a foot peg on the end. So The operator pulls back on the factory lifting lever and pushes forward at the same time with my lever with the right hand and right foot. It made lifting the tiller 50% easier, but not the finished product I am looking for. Thank you for the picture of the spring. A little fuzzy, but looks like .220".