Sign in to follow this  
P3x

WH Pricing/Value Information

P3x

Looking to buy a WH tractor to use as in everyday property maintenance and have a 520H, 416-8, and 315-8 on the short list. All have fairly low hours 200-800, look clean, with various implements Deck, Plow, Blower, Tiller, Weights, Chains, Cart. From talking with the individual sellers all seem to be in nice shape.

After spending a bit of time researching this site, FleaBay, and others to get a handle on pricing/values of these tractors I find they're all over the place. With location being a/the major factor to determine value (I'm in New England).

Is there a reputable source available online where you can get pricing data and get an idea of what is considered a fair price to pay? All info appreciated. Thanks.

stevasaurus

:hide: I do not think there is a reputable source. :ROTF: I would watch Craig's List and Ebay, plus read the threads here that talk about "what is this tractor worth" You will find sellers that think they are sitting on a gold mine, sellers that really know the worth of what they have, and sellers that have no clue what they have. The latter are getting harder to find. :hide: Never hurts to ask here and post a picture, you will get honest answers. In the end, it comes down to how bad you want it and what you will give for it. :banghead:

Red Square classifieds may be that reputable source, now that the seller has to post what he/she wants and where they are from. :thumbs:

can whlvr

:thumbs: well if yuor like most of the people here,just buy all 3,and all the attachments u can and u will have a good start,and u can leave attachments on each one and not have to change :banghead:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

When I'm trying to gauge the price on something I use www.searchtempest.com/ or a similar tool to search the state and/or country for the item since valuations tend to vary.

P3x

Well, I think I've narrowed it to a 520H. Spent literally hours reading 520H related posts hoping to filter out pricing info. This site has been a great help (I'm amazed at the number of WHs folks have!) but being new to WH tractors, still not confident the tractor I'm interested in purchasing is a fair price so I'm looking for some guidance from the experts.

The tractor is a 520H is a '93 600 Hrs and appears to be in good shape. No rust anywhere, paint looks good with just some surface scratches here and there from use.

Started it cold (25F) and fired up pretty quick with the choke applied. Engine spewed a little Black smoke upon start which I figure is normal while choked. Engine seemed to run smooth with no strange knocks/noises and responded to throttle movements well. Drove it (flat surface only) and plowed a bit with it and all seemed to function well. The only issues noted: Plow (38/42"?) is not for a 520H and doesn't have the frame kit so cannot angle to one side, one headlight and tail light are inop, Tach's inop and noticed an instrument light socket a little scorched. The Brake seemed to work but had no cushion and the travel went to the floor board.

Comes with the Plow as stated, 48" Side Discharge or Rear Discharge deck (my choice) both seem to be in good shape, and a tiller which looks to be fairly recent and not used much as the paint is in excellent condition with the paint on the tines missing only from the tips. The owner has several horses in his stable and knowledgeable on them and is a nice guy to boot. It's priced at 2k. So now THE question... From my description does 2k sound like a fair price in today's market? I know it's difficult to gauge WO pictures, but I promise to post some if/when it arrives in my stable! Also would like other's opinions on Side vs. Rear Discharge decks. Appreciate any and all advice.

AMC RULES

:banghead: Sounds a bit steep to me? Sounds like a pretty average condition tractor, and the hours are on the low side but based on the included attachments, 12-1,500 seems more appropriate for this pkg.

Ken B

If the machine is very clean then the guy is in the ball park. The tiller is a pricey attachment and if its hardly used it will no doubt add to the value. If you don't need the tiller I'm sure someone else would be interested in it. If you can get it cheaper that is always a plus. Imagine what this package cost new. :banghead:

jtmoyer

deck $150- $200 range

tiller $200-$300 range

plow $100 - $200

tractor $500 - $1000

these are average prices you cam always find people asking more and can find some asking less.

most packages will sell for less then if all separated out.

these are not the prices that members here want to pay because we all have a tractor of 2 :banghead:

KB9LOR

I think 2k is too high, I could have bought a 520hc a couple years ago with front and reat weights, mower deck, super clean w/500ish hours for 1200.00, I mean that is here in Indiana.

flyovrcntry

There is no real way to set a value on these tractors.You cant judge from sales on ebay ,simply because the market is different for identical tractors at different times and locations.You also have the variable of how many people in that area want that tractor and how much each person thinks its worth. How many times have you looked at cl or ebay and think,man I wish I had seen that sooner I would have paid x dollars for that.

dgjks6

Don't forget the $100 you are going to have to spend to get the extension for the snow plow so it works correctly

6wheeler

I too think that is a little high. Here in Mn.(plug your ears Randy) there is one with 700 hrs with a broom, plow, and 48" deck for $1495.00. I've seen it and its very nice. And I think thats a little high cuz I don't need a broom. Randy(operator) should chime here, he loves those 520's.

Forest Road

Do you intend to run a 60" mower? That's really the ONLY reason I'd by an Onan. They're problematic to say the least. The single one lung Kohlers are bomb proof and extremely low maintenance. I hear good things about the Kohler twins too. The Kohler parts are also a fraction the price of Onan.

Check out these threads:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24785

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24802

This guy did an incredible resto on his 520 and then the motor gave him headaches. I had a 520 and traded it for a 314H. The 520 looks real mean w/ the swept axle and fat a** rear end. And I love the gear reduction steering. But in my opinion you can keep the Onan.

And $2000 to me is a dream price for any seller.

Just my two sense. Best of luck.

Jim_M

Make sure the idler pulley set up for the tiller is included, it ill be worthless without it.

And it might sound stupid but make sure the tractor has all of the lift components for a tiller installed on it. Guys buy tillers all the time not knowing what it takes to make it functional, then they have a tiller they can't use.

I have a NOS completing kit for a 520-H dozer blade I might part with if you buy the tractor, but I'll warn you , it won't be cheap. I've been saving it just in case I ever decide to put a blade on a 520-H.

It's hard to say what the package is worth, but 2k sounds high.

rickv1957

I would say that would be a decent buy,try an offer of a bit less.

Shuboxlover

That's more than I would/have paid..... :banghead:

You could always sell some of the attachments you don't want/need to help offset the price.

Ken B

What are the prices of the other tractors you are interested in?

It seems to me that no matter what the model tractor or how nice it is no one wants to lay out more than a grand around here. Lets assume all three tractors are in the same condition, is a 520-H not worth more than a 315-8 or a 416-8? I'm in the New England area myself and I follow C/L, Bargain News and of course Ebay closely and I don't see nice 520's in this area going for a grand. If there were, I'd have one by now.

Another thing to consider is that if you are buying a machine from the original owner is that he knows what he laid out for it when it was new. If he laid out over 6 grand for it when it was new you may have a tough time convincing him it is now only worth 1000 bucks, especially if he took care of it. I'm not saying you won't get lucky though.

Depending on what kind of work you will be doing the 520 may be over kill. The 315-8 will be the easiest to maintain out of the bunch and it may be all the tractor you will ever need. As they say, pics are worth 1000 words.

Shuboxlover

Ken make some GREAT points.....

I have a 16HP single Kohler, a 16 HP twin Briggs, and a 16hp twin Onan D-160...

BUT I LOVE MY 520!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't get me wrong, I REALLY like my other tractors too, they all have their place, but them 520's are NICE!!!!! :banghead:

AMC RULES

You guy are starting to make me nervous about the 520 I aquired this past fall. I thought these were supposed to be bada$$ 2K hour engines? :banghead:

Jim_M

If you take care of an Onan it will last as long as anything else. Keep it clean, don't overheat it, and let it idle a minute before you shut it off so it can cool down.

The P220 is a powerhouse, even though it's rated at 20 hp, I'll guarantee you a well tuned stock P220 will put out more than 20 hp on engine dyno.

They are a little thirsty though.

VinsRJ

What are the prices of the other tractors you are interested in?

It seems to me that no matter what the model tractor or how nice it is no one wants to lay out more than a grand around here. Lets assume all three tractors are in the same condition, is a 520-H not worth more than a 315-8 or a 416-8? I'm in the New England area myself and I follow C/L, Bargain News and of course Ebay closely and I don't see nice 520's in this area going for a grand. If there were, I'd have one by now.

Another thing to consider is that if you are buying a machine from the original owner is that he knows what he laid out for it when it was new. If he laid out over 6 grand for it when it was new you may have a tough time convincing him it is now only worth 1000 bucks, especially if he took care of it. I'm not saying you won't get lucky though.

Depending on what kind of work you will be doing the 520 may be over kill. The 315-8 will be the easiest to maintain out of the bunch and it may be all the tractor you will ever need. As they say, pics are worth 1000 words.

Amen :banghead:

Shuboxlover

You guy are starting to make me nervous about the 520 I aquired this past fall. I thought these were supposed to be bada$$ 2K hour engines? :banghead:

I wouldn't be worried......like everyone else said, keep em clean and maintained and you're good to go.

I don't think mine is that thirsty, I can mow my 3.5 acres in well under a tank of gas, that's better than my 16HP twin briggs :thumbs:

They are a BAD MOTHER!!!!!!!!!

Operator

My turn? I would say it is a bit steep, but don't we all start high? Makes the buyer feel good when they talk you down. :banghead: I would say what is wrong with tractor is all minor stuff. Good hours on it, but like previously said check to make sure all is there for the rear lift - swing arm under seat, cable to midlift, axle hitch. The RD decks are nice if you want to go in either direction, they are 42". I'd go with the 48" and start at $1600.

Randy

If your happy with your finale price, that is all that maters.

Hi Pat :thumbs:

P3x

Wow - ask and you shall recieve! I've learned more about pricing in the short time it took me to read through the replies than hours/days spent scouring the web.

Intersting threads on installing Honda Engines in the 520 - I've always been a fan of Honda/Toyotas, but still a fan of American iron and have a Corvette 3/4 complete taking up the majority of garage space. I appreciate the input; now comes the hard part to make a decision... Whichever way I go, I'll let you know and post mass quantities of pictures!

Thank you all.

Shuboxlover

I'll let you know and post mass quantities of pictures!

:banghead::hide::ROTF::thumbs:

can't wait :hide: