Anglo Traction

74 C-120/Raider update

bowtiebutler956

Looks like your making steady progress Richard. :woohoo: The hood looks great! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Anglo Traction

Yo Matt, Thanks, I reckon the Hood should be ok (for a heavily Tarted Up worker).

Nothing Novel to report progress-wise and I know you all like pics, so I've included a few just to 'Bulk' this Post out a bit.

I have had a struggle with the Belt Guard and Footrests, as previously mentioned, but pleased to say that part is now consigned to it's history and they're finished, fitted and I did drill the extra holes for Footrest fixing :hide: , but they sure are rigid now.

Also made up Plates for the Footrests using the same Blistered Ali as on my Raider12. Used the existing Holes.

I shall make up some 'Super Grippy' ones for the Muddy Cold Season now I have the Templates, then just swap 'em over when necessary.

post-3520-0-20530400-1338583221_thumb.jp

I've bolted down the Cylinder Head after I did a 'Drip Down' test... :huhs: you may ask?. I get a good idea of how well the fit of the Piston and Ring gap spacings are (all min spec anyway) by putting 30cc of Oil in the Bore and see how long it takes to seep down past the Rings.....25 hours....that'll do me.

post-3520-0-91052900-1338583147_thumb.jp

Have done all the Brake 'n' Clutch Linkage. I had to make a new Brake Latch Spring as one end of the original had rotted away. I found the perfect replacement on an old Anglepoise Lamp, the Spring just needed shortening and the end bent. (if anybody needs one, I can make another 3).

I ended up drilling an extra hole in the Stiffening Web on the Tranny for the Clutch Spring. The Spring just clears the Brake Rod now, but I may still put an extension (stand off) Bracket on later.

post-3520-0-58993800-1338583252_thumb.jp

Had a delay sorting the Hood Blasting/Powercoat, the Firm I use are having new Gear installed and he's busy, so it will be a week or so. No big deal really, as I'm going to visit an RS Cyber Buddy who is going to do some welding work on the Rear Fender for me, so maybe I'll get both Panels done at the same time.

Still got lots to do and purchase before it can move under it's own power (with me on it of course). Will try and get some Lathe Time in and take a few pics of it for those of you who also like that sort of thing.

Bye for now.

• Like 1

Martin

yes, yes, more pics to drool over, bring them on richard.

as always really nice attention to detail. you should be very happy how its turning out...... :thumbs:

i see you went with head studs, are the nylocks there for something else to mount?

oh, and i like the alum. treads......

massey

Outstanding! This is the first time I ventured into the European section and I find this post. As has been said before, your attention to detail and workmanship is outstanding. I look forward to seeing more of this incredible work.

Anglo Traction

as always really nice attention to detail. you should be very happy how its turning out...... :thumbs:

i see you went with head studs, are the nylocks there for something else to mount?

oh, and i like the alum. treads......

Hi Martin, Yes , I'm pretty happy with the way it is going. There are always bits I'm not happy with, but I've drawn a line as to what I think is necessary. I've not attempted to blend out some of the pitting in the out of the way places, but settled for corrosion protection for now.

Yes, went for Studs in those 3 positions, they were from the Cool side of the Engine when it had a Fuel Tank bolted on top.

I'm planning to use them for a Muffler Stack Support Bracket at a later stage (dare I say the Muffler may be chrome).

I'd Ieft the Coppered Manifold (Header) Locknuts there for now (they're unused from an early 90s Ford). I need to be sure I can support the weight of the Muffler before I go public on the set up.....may call for some Victorian Engineering principles !.

The Tread Plate is great material, got it from a local friend and have enough left to maybe line the underseat Tool Box area.

Hi Massey, Thanks and for looking in on Euro Section, we try to do justice to these Tractors like you Guys. Got to keep these Horses Wheeling and shiney

Regards

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Wow! :scared-eek: You really do fantastic work, and I love the foot treads. Did you say she may get a chrome exhaust? :woohoo: That would be something you don't see every day, and would really be the Icing On The Cake on one of the most beautiful :wh:'s I've ever seen! :thumbs:

neil

looking good Richard , are you going to be ready for the Ardingly Show ?

Stigian

Wow!! Your doing a stunning job there Richard, as ever your attention to detail is amazing :thumbs:

Oh, I've been called many things in my time, Cyber buddy is a first :D

Anglo Traction

Did you say she may get a chrome exhaust? Matt :flags-texas:

Thanks Matt , I sure did . I have it already, but need to be sure I can mount it securely and that it is in proportion for the Tractor.

I have to say I can't wait to rig it up and hear what it sounds like, as it is tuned like a Motorcycle Megaphone.

looking good Richard , are you going to be ready for the Ardingly Show ?

Hi Neil Thanks. well sorry to say it won't be ready for Ardingly. Just not been able to to put the time in and I won't rush it. Maybe you can stop by on the way there?.

Oh, I've been called many things in my time, Cyber buddy is a first

Well Mate I won't be able to call you that after Thursday, as I would have met you in person....Lookin forward to it !.

P.S. Sorry about the quality of the last lot of Pics, they got 'Dumbed Down' somehow. I usually keep them at about 750kb. I'll shove them up to my Photobucket Acc, as I see some had been download Copied already

wheeledhorseman

Great work as always Richard, a true perfectionist!

Tell me, if the 'drip down test' had taken say just a couple of hours, would you really have taken the piston out again to see if you hadn't lined up the rings correctly? Pointless question really, I'm guessing you would.

Andy

Anglo Traction

Yep! you guessed right Andy and I'd be worried. I try to get the Oil control Ring Gap near the Inlet Valve position. This puts the 1st and 2nd Ring gaps 120deg apart and well away from the Exhaust Valve side of the Cylinder. It also gives the parts a good final Oil wash to carry away remaining contaminants (if any).

bowtiebutler956

I'm still waiting very impatiently to see some chrome Richard! :ychain:

behunted

i've got to say,

a great job done already, it's beautiful

but is this the original engine? because mine is a model M12S spec 471512... it looks a bit different

Tom

Martin

i've got to say,

a great job done already, it's beautiful

but is this the original engine? because mine is a model M12S spec 471512... it looks a bit different

Tom

tom, if you google that spec number, your engine was originally on a cub cadet 1211. and its a magnum whereas richards's is a k series.....

i think i remember richard saying early on that this engine was off something else. the flywheel shroud is a give away as well.....

312Hydro

Wow! That's a super clean chassis on your Horse! I knew the paint was nice when I saw the reflection of the foot treads in the sides! Beautiful work,It looks really clean. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Anglo Traction

I'm still waiting very impatiently to see some chrome Richard!. Matt :flags-texas:

Aw Shucks ! Matt. Ok , but I reserve the right to change my mind if it doesn't work out. Can you wait until I at least get the Hood back from Blast and Powdercoaters?. I took it in today. I'll try and do a 'Mock up' for you when I get it back.

i've got to say, a great job done already, it's beautiful but is this the original engine? because mine is a model M12S spec 471512... it looks a bit different. Tom

tom, if you google that spec number, your engine was originally on a cub cadet 1211. and its a magnum whereas richards's is a k series.....

i think i remember richard saying early on that this engine was off something else. the flywheel shroud is a give away as well.....

Thankyou Martin for the response on my behalf...... Tom. Yes . Martin is correct. my Engine is from a 1981 Triple Gang Mower. I had to rebuild and adapt it. So it is not original.

Wow! That's a super clean chassis on your Horse! I knew the paint was nice when I saw the reflection of the foot treads in the sides! Beautiful work,It looks really clean.

Thankyou Rich. It's pretty reasonable considering. It should pass as a 3 Footer before it gets dirty.

Had to Backtrack on a little job that had to be re-done. Back near the start of this Thread/project, I mentioned the Steering issue with the Lower Rod and Quadrant being welded out of line and the need for WH to fit Adjustable Steering Rods. I look's like this-

post-3520-0-74087000-1339627883_thumb.jp

Well, I eventually paid a visit to see Ian (Stig) and amongst other 'Thingy Bits' , he furnished me with a replacement Lower Rod...... A big :text-thankyouyellow: Ian !.

48hours later, the part had been cleaned, stripped, primed, painted and fitted. It's in there somewhere-

post-3520-0-29714800-1339627835_thumb.jp

It's now snug fitting with zero play and I can now line up the Steering wheel Spokes with the Wheels straight.

Another job I wanted to sort for a while was to 'Turn Up' new Bronze Bushes for the Rear Fender (I used Gunmetal)

Did these on the Baby Lathe. I also Beefed them Up in proportion. Here is the First one just 'Parted off' from the Stock Rod, along with the remains of what came off the Tractor(on the Bolt) and a worn example for comparison-

post-3520-0-18665500-1339627293_thumb.jp

Next, I'll have to make and Harden new Steel Spacer Bushes, and a fair bit of work to do on the Fender when I get it back. Mainly the front Support and Seat Latch area (I'm putting a second beefier Latch on).

Still looking at new Seats, May go for a Charcoal coloured High Back Toro Seat, or another Kab P2 (same as Euro original).

That all for now, next one should have more content.

Regards.

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Nice work as always Richard.

Back near the start of this Thread/project, I mentioned the Steering issue with the Lower Rod and Quadrant being welded out of line and the need for WH to fit Adjustable Steering Rods.

I must have missed that somewhere along the line - I remember you spotting way back that my C-120 has the adjustable rods but at that time the reason wasn't clear. I'll have to have a look at the lower rod sometime to see if it has a similarly offset quadrant.

Andy

Stigian

"48hours later, the part had been cleaned, stripped, primed, painted and fitted. It's in there somewhere"!!!

You don't hang about do you Richard! :D

It was a pleasure to meet the "master of perfection" the other Thursday.. Sorry I should of warned you about the strange "time flying by in the blink of an eye" paradox thingy that happens in the Shack :D

As ever outstanding work and attention to detail, a level I could never achieve :notworthy:

Anglo Traction

As ever outstanding work and attention to detail, a level I could never achieve :notworthy:

Great to meet you too Ian. As for quality of work, ingenuity, detail etc, You've already achieved it !, you just haven't put a coat of paint over it yet!.

Take advantage of the 'Time Warp' in the Shack and get 'er moving/steering. There are a few Hundred people on here itching for the day and the StigVid.

Picking up the Hood and Rear Fender tomorrow from the Blasters, he's double Powder Coated them for me as a payback for a favour I did for for him.....they should be pretty rustproof now and have a good base for Paint Topside (staying Satin Black underneath).

See you at Ardingly. I'll bring the Billet of Ali for you.

Regards

bowtiebutler956

Well, I suppose you being the owner of the :wh: , means you could reserve the right not to use the chrome if you don't like it, but I will be looking forward to seeing a pic of it at least on a trial fit basis. :ychain: Your work is some of the best I've ever seen, and that is going to be one very special :wh: ! :bow-blue:

Anglo Traction

Hi Folks, Have now collected the Hood and Rear Fender....... Yes!, the C-120 is a temporary 'Black Hood' . I'm pleased with the condition as I was expecting it to be much worse-

DSC00779.JPG.d44a35a2ca9e5f149547fb7b194a44aa.JPG

The Hood top has the traditional 'Anger' scar, pitting and several undulations which should not require too much gentle pressing and leveling.

And just for Matt, I've propped up the Muffler in the rough position . The 'Canister' section is 3.1/2" dia and 11" high. Still not sure of the proportions, but will check it again when the Paintwork is finished.

As the Dash Housing and Upper Shaft are Spares with some wear, I'm mounting a Flange Bearing to the Dash Housing which is a good fit on the shaft and will eliminate any slop or play, easy to pack with grease, re-adjust and a Rubber Gaiter will be fitted between it and the Steering Wheel to keep the water and dust out-

DSC00780.JPG.b83315b4e3df100e8eb57e21fde73d5c.JPG

The Fender had a little 'Stig Weld' surgery on the Pivot Bracket and radial cracks when I paid a visit to him the other week. Thanks Mate !.

As you can see it's heavily pitted, even after 2 good coats of Powder. So Martin !. I am in awe of your skills and achievement of the Powder finish on your latest project :bow-blue: -

DSC00777.JPG.a270664ff93c5a4ed6baf14bf5c6196c.JPG

At least there are no perforations and I now have a good rustproofed base to work on. .

The front support bracket shown is weak with rust and the square holes molested, so it will be scrapped and another made up when I source the materials and an Arc Welder.

.....Just need some decent weather now.....so this may take a while.

Regards

Edited by Anglo Traction
Image replacement/de-Link from Host site

wheeledhorseman

Coming on there Richard - makes me think of the nursery rhyme - 'Ride a black horse to Banbury Cross'.

I take it the visit to Ian has inspired you to get a welder.

Like the stack - take it that it's nicely polished stainless. Good to see some 'bling'.

Andy

Stigian

Take advantage of the 'Time Warp' in the Shack and get 'er moving/steering. There are a few Hundred people on here itching for the day and the StigVid.

The trouble with the "time warp" effect is time fly's by before I've had a chance to do anything!

Hmm. I quite like the red and black look..

I take it the visit to Ian has inspired you to get a welder.

Andy

Don't know what you mean :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle: :D

Anglo Traction

I take it the visit to Ian has inspired you to get a welder. Like the stack - take it that it's nicely polished stainless. Good to see some 'bling'.Andy

Well Andy, not quite inspired, more like finally falling off 'The Fence' and making the decision. Ian did convince me though!.

The Stack is Chrome Steel, but would've prefered Stainless.

The trouble with the "time warp" effect is time fly's by before I've had a chance to do anything! Hmm. I quite like the red and black look..

Yep!, agreed. Time (and this C*@ p weather) is also my enemy.

Now you come to mention it, the colour combi on these early 70's style WHs does have a strange appeal. Maybe have a play around with MS Paint and see how it would look on your Beast?.,,,,,,,,,,,, Maybe Frame, Trannysss n Engine in Red and the Panels Satin Black. :eusa-think: Dunno about Red Hood Decals on it though.

Regards

bowtiebutler956

Hi Folks, Have now collected the Hood and Rear Fender....... Yes!, the C-120 is a temporary 'Black Hood' . I'm pleased with the condition as I was expecting it to be much worse.

DSC00779.jpg

The Hood top has the traditional 'Anger' scar, pitting and several undulations which should not require too much gentle pressing and leveling.

And just for Matt, I've propped up the Muffler in the rough position . The 'Canister' section is 3.1/2" dia and 11" high. Still not sure of the proportions, but will check it again when the Paintwork is finished.

As the Dash Housing and Upper Shaft are Spares with some wear, I'm mounting a Flange Bearing to the Dash Housing which is a good fit on the shaft and will eliminate any slop or play, easy to pack with grease, re-adjust and a Rubber Gaiter will be fitted between it and the Steering Wheel to keep the water and dust out.

DSC00780.jpg

The Fender had a little 'Stig Weld' surgery on the Pivot Bracket and radial cracks when I paid a visit to him the other week. Thanks Mate !.

As you can see it's heavily pitted, even after 2 good coats of Powder. So Martin !. I am in awe of your skills and achievement of the Powder finish on your latest project :bow-blue: .

DSC00777.jpg

At least there are no perforations and I now have a good rustproofed base to work on. .

The front support bracket shown is weak with rust and the square holes molested, so it will be scrapped and another made up when I source the materials and an Arc Welder.

.....Just need some decent weather now.....so this may take a while.

Regards

Love the stack Richard!! :scared-eek: It looks fantastic, although I think the section of pipe under the muffler may need a little trimming. :text-datsphatyo::thumbs: