Anglo Traction

74 C-120/Raider update

Anglo Traction

I want you to sell your house, move to the US :auto-camptrailer: and buy a house next door to me. That way I can use your lathe and we can work on tractors all day :orcs-cheers: Bring a woman with you because I don't go that way :royalty-queen: .

Zeek Ole Buddy! Thanks for one heck of an invite and real glad you mentioned the last bit!. I'm now suffering with Aching Ribs from :laughing-rolling: .

I'd love to head West, but wouldn't make it past 'Lands End' in a Car and Trailer!.

Being a fully qualified amateur in back yard mechanicing, self taught from books and practice, I could play around on the Lathe all day

(yep!, I'm a Sad Ole Git).

Bye the way, I almost forgot ...... I've decided to leave the Grass Screen Bright Laquered Steel for now. It cleaned up well and I can always paint it later-

post-3520-0-34060400-1333681998.jpg

Gotta be careful not to overdo the Bright Shiney bits.

• Like 1

neil

Im feeling a road trip coming on ....... Richard , i just gotta come and see your tractors in the flesh, i mean steel , . like Martin said, you set the standards here on redsquare

and it is an joy to see your work .

By the way , My offer still stands if you fancy a few days away yourself in Sunny Somerset. We could even pop over to annoy Rex in the next county

Anglo Traction

Im feeling a road trip coming on ....... Richard , i just gotta come and see your tractors in the flesh, i mean steel , . like Martin said, you set the standards here on redsquare

and it is an joy to see your work .

By the way , My offer still stands if you fancy a few days away yourself in Sunny Somerset. We could even pop over to annoy Rex in the next county

Hi Neil, Thanks Mate !. Just at the point where I need an excuse and opportunity to get away for a while. Love to see your Stock.

Well if I. can get my finger out and have the Tractors ready and available for Ardingly, you'll be able to 'Kill 2 birds with one stone'. Assuming I have a way to Transport them there :handgestures-fingerscrossed: . Either way, look forward to meeting up again and have a few Beers and Laughs.

Regards

meadowfield

Richard,

looking forward to seeing it in the flesh !

might have to drop in to see you before Ardingley - don't think I can wait ! :)

Stigian

Great work as always Richard and good to have you back..

P.S. I hope the aliens were kind to you for those 2 months! :D

Zeek

Keep up the great work, love your pictures!!

WH Raider10

Looks great Richard! Just amazing! Do you paint with a spray gun or rattle cans?

P-J

Anglo Traction

Hi P-J, I use Spray Cans (outside) . Preping the Foot Rests and Belt Cover at the moment ready for paint.............. Glad to see you may visit Ardingly. Will be good to meet you..

bowtiebutler956

Very nice work! :thumbs: I have got to get a lathe. That just looks like to much fun. :woohoo::text-coolphotos:

Matt :flags-texas:

WH Raider10

Hey Richard,

I use spray cans too but it will never look as good as yours! The best restoration I've seen so far! Amazing.............. :bow-blue::)

And yes I'll probably come over to the Ardingly show, I look forward to it allready to meet you all.

P-J

Anglo Traction

Still prepping the Footrests and Belt Guard at the moment, lots of pitting to lose. So in between Flatting them off , I wanted to get the Brake and Drive Clutch linkage set up.

I'm searching for a decent Clutch Spring as the old one has suffered from 'Owners Past', I was not happy with the way the Brake Rod pulls the Brake Band out of line and hits the Tranny Bearing Boss every time the pedal is depressed .

So I came up with a simple solution which is a straight 'Bolt On' and have no idea if it has already been done-

post-3520-0-36371400-1334433338.jpg

another shot with Flash

post-3520-0-91637800-1334434459.jpg

It's just a piece of brass sheet cut to shape, and bent to fit with a Thickening Pad soft soldered to it and secured with one of the existing Band Retaining Bolts and rests against the Tranny ( I used a Button Head Bolt for Rod clearance). It is thick enough to keep the Band in line with the Drum and being Brass, it wears before the steel Band Bracket that rubs against it.

Just thought I'd share this with you, as there is nothing worse than an unevenly worn Brake Band Lining and catching on that Tranny Boss.

Regards.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

That's a very nice fix! Beautiful. :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

I have got to get a lathe. That just looks like to much fun. Matt

HI Matt, If you get one , you'll wonder why you didn't long ago , great piece of Man Gadget Gear !. Thanks for looking in.

Token effort on progress I'm afraid, and because several posts have been eaten, I've put a few pics back in this post just to give an idea of what I started with. Pics are sympathetic to the condition.

post-3520-0-22107300-1336576021_thumb.jp

That Seat had completely rotted away at the back, and yes, that PTO Clevis is a piece of bent Ali in the pic below!.

post-3520-0-55240000-1336576112_thumb.jp

Nearly finished the Stirups and Belt Cover, lots of prep and staightening as the P.O. had hacked them about because they were fitted incorrectly . I fitted them up to check alignment was still ok before they come off for 'Flatting Off' (Wet) and a final coat.

Putting aside the fact that my Camera can't seem to reproduce the Correct Red Hue, I'm happy that the paint colour is pretty close compared with the original found under the old Hood Decal

post-3520-0-85487400-1336576784_thumb.jp

I'm also tempted to drill out the outer holes in the Footrests-Fender Support Beam for extra support with 3 bolts each side!. I don't like drilling extra holes usually. Ignore the temporary fat nylon washers.

I've decided to make a new Rear Hitch Pin to the WH spec with S/S Snap Ring retainers. I have a piece of old 3/4" Silver Steel that is a much closer fit than those (metric) Lynch Pins.

post-3520-0-04343400-1336578370_thumb.jp

I've still got some tweaking of the Hood to do before I'm happy for it to go for Blasting and Powder, mainly the front Grille panels. I started with a 'Multi Dent' front end. I had already tapped out a few when I took this pic

post-3520-0-60850600-1336577733_thumb.jp

Nearly finished this job. I shall throw some white paint over this area to see the defects clearly , then apply the Hammers and homemade Dollies. Have to bush the worn pivot brackets and remove a bit of a twist from the Hood top. Front Hitch bits also done.

post-3520-0-95422000-1336577940_thumb.jp

PTO Clevis is going to be machined from solid H.G Steel and beefier at the Pin bores, so the Pins wear out first (easier to replace).

I've actually found S/S UNC Flanged & Coach Bolts (grade 5) available in small quantities, not cheap though. these are for the Visible areas like Belt Guard, Rear Fender and Gear Selector Plate.

post-3520-0-17598900-1336578680_thumb.jp

Despite this not being a Resto, more of a Refresh, I claim that no Metric Threads have been used, molested or mistreated in the building of this

Wheel Horse. .......Totally Unified !.

That's all for now. And Hey !!........Lets be Careful out there !.

• Like 1

Lars

looks very nice...

Hey Richard i think il send my raider 10 to u for an uppgrade :) looks very nice...

wheeledhorseman

I claim that no Metric Threads have been used, molested or mistreated in the building of this

I suppose that would make '74 C-120/Raider update' a 'unified thread' then Richard! :laughing-rofl:

Seriously though, my dedication ends with what has to be (i.e captive nuts) and what needs to be (visible panel fastenings and the like) so all credit to you for avoiding metric entirely. I'll have to beware of 'rivet counters' brandishing thread guages when I bring mine to Ardingly though.

Nice job on the dents, I've got a couple of hoods for you to further develop your skills on that you could 'borrow' for training purposes.

BTW what are those outer holes in the upport bracket intended for?

Anyway, nice work setting the standard as always. :bow-blue:

Andy

meadowfield

great posts as always Richard, shame the pictures don't show just how lovingly (meticulously) you have cleaned, straightened, keyed, primed, painted, sanded back, painted and polished!!!!!

:bow-blue:

Martin

richard, once again im enjoying seeing your progress. as always very nice work. :notworthy::thumbs:

didnt realize that unc hardware wasnt very common there. back home its about half and half, whereas here in the us, unc and unf is everywhere, ( although nobody here really refers to fasteners that way)......and metric is the ugly stepchild......

i remember many years ago (back in aus. as well) dealing with whitworth (bsw) quite a lot, im sure you are familiar with that.........

bowtiebutler956

I really Love your attention to detail Richard! You are a Picasso in the world of :wh: restorations! :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

Hey Richard i think il send my raider 10 to u for an uppgrade :) looks very nice...

Thanks Lars, Reckon you may have to send your Raider (not that it needs an upgrade, looks good) , your project list is looking pretty long this Summer ! :handgestures-thumbup:

I suppose that would make '74 C-120/Raider update' a 'unified thread' then Richard! :laughing-rofl:

I'll have to beware of 'rivet counters' brandishing thread guages when I bring mine to Ardingly though.

I've got a couple of hoods for you to further develop your skills on that you could 'borrow' for training purposes.

BTW what are those outer holes in the upport bracket intended for?

Unified Thread !....... :text-lol: . Yes, 'The Rivet Counters' or Slipper wearing Armchair seated Restorers. Bless 'em !. Don't let the fear of them get you down.

I still got some wall space to hang some Hoods on for when I have a gap in the schedules.

I can only assume the outer holes in the Footrest Bracket are unused (on early 70's models). as you know , that bracket is inverted on Auto models and I can't find any Model that uses them :confusion-shrug:. The footrests themselves only have the 2 inner holes each side to secure them. I think a 3rd outer fixing Bolt will stiffen it up more.

great posts as always Richard, shame the pictures don't show just how lovingly (meticulously) you have cleaned, straightened, keyed, primed, painted, sanded back, painted and polished!!!!!

Hi Mark, Thanks. It was good to meet up with you again the other week. Yes , pictures, they can say a thousand words and still Lie !..Never sure myself whether I overdo things or not, but I'm pleased with how it's slowly coming back to a tidy useable machine.

richard, once again im enjoying seeing your progress. as always very nice work.

didnt realize that unc hardware wasnt very common there. back home its about half and half, whereas here in the us, unc and unf is everywhere, ( although nobody here really refers to fasteners that way)......and metric is the ugly stepchild......

i remember many years ago (back in aus. as well) dealing with whitworth (bsw) quite a lot, im sure you are familiar with that.........

Hey Martin, Thanks. Likewise with the Post reading of yours....UNC is reasonably available here, but only generic head patterns and nearly all Machine screw threads, not proper part thread shouldered lengths. I struck lucky with these and are good quality with very little Galling.

Imperial sizes and measures are firmly embedded in my Brain (due to my age), but have no problem converting mathmatically. I have many types of Taps/Dies, many old ones (back to WW11) inherited and still in perfect condition. I have Special ones for Model Engineering and an HSS BA set, smallest is 16BA.

I plan to do a WH in miniature project, when I finish this Tractor, but will have to run it alongside finishing the long overdue Traction Engine .

May run a thread on it in the Non Tractor Forum

Thanks again All. Back soon

chesbaycruiser

Despite this not being a Resto, more of a Refresh, ....

:omg::jaw::omg::jaw::omg::jaw::omg::jaw:

Dear God, I can't wait to see you do a full Resto!!!!

fordsonmajortom

The outer holes in the footrest brackets are used when you fit a tiller/rotavator on the back . The footrest is moved out to give clearance for the drive belt and another belt cover is fitted, at least thats what happens on my charger 12.

Michael

wheeledhorseman

I knew there had to be an answer - just didn't know what it was, so thanks for that Michael.

Is the footrest moved out on the other side to match then as the additional hole exists on each side?

Andy

Anglo Traction

Yeah, Thanks Michael. Needless to say Andy and I are sailing through life 'Tiller-less' and we would never have Known :bow-blue:

AMC RULES

I don't go that way :royalty-queen: .

:ROTF:

Anglo Traction

Decided The Hood Grille has reached the limit of my attention. Having thrown some white paint over it, I think it is straight enough and look's like it will only need a couple of localised shots of Hi- build Primer to lose the remaining dent evidence. Bit of a spooky looking pic really, but using white does the trick.

post-3520-0-79690600-1336956149_thumb.jp

It's off for Blasting etc this week. Should finish and fit the Guard and Footrests also.