Sign in to follow this  
willy victor

Engine replacement

willy victor

I have a 83 WH GT1142. What's a good replacement engine to use?

Willy Victor

nylyon

Is that a vertical or horizontal shaft engine? And welcome!

T-Mo

I can't really tell you what would be a good replacement, but the original engine was a 11 hp Briggs, horizontal shaft, model no. 252417-0259-01. You can try here:

Small Engine Warehouse - GT1142 Engine Repower

It has one listed-not sure if that is a short block or entire engine-for $450. Good luck.

T-Mo

Oh, btw, Willy, welcome to the site. I hope you hang out here more often and enjoy the site.

Rollerman

Willy I would recomend any Kohler 10HP & up....K series or Magnum.

The K series can be found pretty reasonable & last forever with a little care.

Your Briggs crank is probably 1" where most Kohlers are 1 & 1/8" & the wireing will also be differant.

It should be a pretty easy swap though & any questions can be answered here.

Stephen in northern IN....needing a Kohler big block gear start myself.

kpinnc

Your choice really depends on how authentic you want the repower to be. The 1142 was a WORK horse BY Wheel horse, and came with a Briggs. That particular model designated an 11 HP tractor, with a 42 inch mower in a package deal.

Kohler definately makes a more reliable, longer lasting engine with the K series, or the Magnums, but the engines and the paint color were all that really made the difference between the Wheel Horse (of similar models, like most of the 300 series) and Work Horse.

My Kohlers, I would have to say, are FAR superior engines to any Briggs that I've ever owned. I've got a couple Briggs, and I like them OK, but I'd place money on my Kohlers to last 5 times as long.

My two cents...

JosephC

I have a 1982 Workhorse 1142GT. My tractor runs good,but when the old Briggs says it's last. Iam going to either put a Honda or a Kohlar Magnum of at least 12 to 14 hp. I have a line on another Workhorse with a 16hp Briggs twin in it.I have other Wheelhorses also a,1972 Raider 8 and a 416H.