Sign in to follow this  

STARTER KOHLER K 181

hi, i need a little help with a starter. commando 800 reunbroken procedure is, or was was going well. engine ran 15 or 20 mins. on 3rd start, i heard a click in the solenoid. thought it was a connection or ground with complete dissasembly and repaint. it worked before. supplied alternate ground to block. no results. grounds are good. found .02 voltage drop between b+ cable at starter and starter terminal when in start position. 12.49v at solenoid energizer terminal with start position activated.

i may be wrong, but i think its in the starter. well, im pretty sure its in the starter. a hot battery with jumper cables directly to starter pos and ground. no operation... any input is appreciated, but i would like to to know from you how to go into a starter.i know i can take it apart. what should i look for? are there parts for them? or should i take one off of another engine? jimmy

JimD

Bfore you get too far into this, check and see if the starter gear is stuck in the flywheel. This happened to me once and it was fine when I got it unrestuck and tightened the bolts back up. Just a thought. :ychain:

rmaynard

When you place the 12+ directly to the starter terminal, do you get a good spark? If so, than I concur with Jim's theory. But if there is no spark, I would suggest adding the additional ground directly to the body of the starter. That will eliminate any possibility of a poor starter ground.

Bob

D-160 tractor

Try lightly rapping on starter as you try starting. Could be dead spot in armature??

Steve

thanks for the replies. i dont know why, but its something in the starter. starter is internally open. tryed jarring it. spun the armature. unbolted it and suppled voltage a good clean ground an a clean starter terminal. measures open with dvm. guess it didnt like the new paint. any one recommend attemting to repair it, or just replace it?

jimmy

dclarke

can you take it apart and post some pics? might just be a brush stuck or the brushes are wore out.

stevasaurus

Check out this thread...pictures. It may not be the same starter, but they are pretty much the same inside.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24429

I would tear it apart before I bought a new or rebuilt one. :banghead: Take pictures.