Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

'64 Tecumseh H60 questions

hoppy

I can not find the specific manual for the specific model # of the engine. are all H60's the same so to speak? what i really need to know is what wires should go where from the coil, points, etc? anyone help me with this? the bottom connection on the points has nothing......well it did just a white wire that went to nothing with the last two inches of it chewed to strands..........is this a ground connection?

also........if the governor was not being used and i had the motor apart would it be a good idea to remove the gear, bracket, etc?

any help would be greatly appreciated. i have almost all the parts repainted , new gasket set, new carb, air cleaner, etc. im ready to get her buttoned up but need to figure out the wiring and make sure my points are clean and put it back together.

thanks guys!

TT

Here's the current manual: LINK

Does this help?:

teccoil003.jpg

One coil wire is grounded @ the armature and the other goes to the insulated stud - along with the condenser lead. If you need a remote kill switch, a third wire would connect to the same location. The third wire would get grounded (normally through a switch or the throttle control linkage) when you want the engine to stop.

What are you doing with the governor????? :ychain:

hoppy

The engine is in a '1964 fox trac "snow machine",,,,,the tecumseh h60 is original. The machine was super rough but has been a labor of love for me lately. The H60 is the original motor that the prevous owner said was seized.....wrong recoil was all jammed up. motor actually looks clean inside, cylinder and piston look good.

the sheet metal was shot but i got all that replaced. carb was locked solid and had to be replaced. probably should have bought a clone but hey i wanted to try and keep this machine as original as i could.

as for the governor.........it wasnt hooked up when i got the machine. although all the gears are there. i did however score the brackets and stuff to hook it back up.

there is no reference material available on these machines and very few even really still exsist. this one should have gone to junk yard.......i couldnt let it see that faite. im certain this engine will run.

thanks for the pictures.....where would that white wire go to? the machine used a hood mounted push button kill switch. single wire i believe. that would go to the bottom or top connection on the points?

TT

There should only be one connection on the points - which is the insulated stud where the three wires connect on the one in my picture.

The white wire on mine went to a switched ground - a.k.a. - "kill switch".

hoppy

interesting.....mine has a upper and lower connection at the points. i will take a picture of it as it sits in the motor in the morning. thanks for the help but i will need more. :ychain:

hoppy

alright im back with some pictures. i have the short wire off the coil grounded to that screw by the condenser. the other wire from the coil going to the points.

wire from condenser to the points. spark plug wire from coil to plug. :ychain:

notice the other connection on the bottom of the points? well that is where the white wire was coming off. in actuallity its a black wire that got painted white.

im assuming that is going to be for my pushbutton kill switch. correct?

003-3.jpg

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

TT

notice the other connection on the bottom of the points? well that is where the white wire was coming off. in actuallity its a black wire that got painted white.

im assuming that is going to be for my pushbutton kill switch. correct?

That's what threw me.... it's just pointing the opposite direction and not really on the "bottom".

Yes - that is where the kill wire attaches - regardless of what kind of switch is used.

hoppy

great. thanks alot for your help!

now.......the governor. what are your thoughts for removing a governor?

this is an old snow machine. honestly its more of a cnoversation piece then it ever will be a work machine/runner. sure ill take it out here and there when snow permits but....not something that is going to get hammered on. i dont hammer on anything i own really. that being said.....what woulkd the harm be of removing it completely? possably over reving the engine to the point of blow up? being the rider id know if i was over working that engine i would think. thoughts?

wheelhorse656

DO NOT TAKE OFF THE GOVENER GEAR AND BRAKET INSIDE THE MOTOR. other wise when you go to start it up the first time you will end up like this :ychain: and this :D and possibly like this :D just remove the bracket that connects it to the throttle.

TT

What pieces do you need to make the governor functional?

I really think it should be on there. Not only does a working governor prevent overspeeding, but it also maintains rpm (or at least tries to) when the engine is placed under load.

hoppy

i bought a bag full of brackets and such that should work to get it back to normal.

this machine was a basket case when i got her..............................nothing was hooked up anymore. slowly piece by piece she is coming back to life.

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

i will ceratinly need some help getting the linkag back to the way it should be. also need to figure out the throttle to use as the machine came with a twist throttle setup.

KC9KAS

That is quite a treasure you have!

Good luck with it!

hoppy

Thank you. im into vintage sleds so picking this one up was exciting to me. my wife asked what the hell i was thinking. Beauty in the eye of the beholder right! its basically just a piece of metal. any part of it can be rebuilt and or replaced. gear and chain driven. pretty simple machine. Fox trac corp. did not lkast very long. believe mid 60's to early 70's. this is is '64 and really the beginning of the "boom" for manufatcurers. going to be a fun project. but not and easy one. she needs alot of metal work. rust really did a number on this baby.