Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Rear Hitch Weight

boovuc

Guys/Gals/Undecided, :D

I just mounted (4) 10 pound iron free-weights on my rear hitch using the tried and true Horse-shoe stake system. Basically used a seven inch long 1/2 inch diameter threaded bolt up though the hitch-hole then mounted a 5/8 inch schedule 80 PVC pipe over top of it. Then I stacked 4 iron free-weights from Wal-Mart and used a washer and nut to keep them from bouncing. I have 40 lbs on the hitch and I have 60 lb wheel weights on each rear rim. (This is to help off-set my snow blower with ags on the C-175).

As most of you know the hitch rests with pressure from the hitch bar on the bottom of the transmission case. (Mine is an 8 speed).

I just wonder if anyone has any thoughts on what is too much weight on that hitch?

Has anyone seen an damage from mounting weights on the hitch bar?

:ychain:

Thanks,

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

can whlvr

i wouldnt think that 40 pounds would hurt anything,as long as they cant move up and down,then the weights become heavier on the down stroke

RyanC

I'm trying to picture exactly what you're describing. Could you post a few pics of it when you get a chance? :ychain:

64s

I stand on mine while my daughter gives me a ride. I don't feel uncomfortable at all bouncing on top of it. :ychain: P.S. I'm topping 200 lbs

dgoyette

I have 90# on mine and feel very comfortable with it.

photo%202.jpg

I did cut out a piece of plywood for it to sit on. I also lightly wedged a piece of wood about 4"x4" under the hitch bar that extends under the transmission case. I did this to distribute the weight and to stop any potential up and down movement of the weight. The wood is not ideal but it works.

boovuc

Thanks for your posts, Guys.

Ryan: If you look at Darren's rig on his picture, you'll see what I did. I just have smaller weights on it.

Darren: That is a good idea. I think I'll "pinch" a piece of plywood under the case as you did to prevent any motion on that hitch arm.

Thanks Again,

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

jhunsch

:D

Enjoy the Pictures

http://s839.photobucket.com/albums/zz315/j...dy%20to%20Pull/

http://s839.photobucket.com/albums/zz315/j...orse%20a%20B60/

Here's a few photos of what I did for my B60, Its just a fun little puller.

I let kids use it to pull and get gain interest in tractors and the pulls.

I have stood on top of the weight you see, and I an 240lbs.

Hey don't for get to Check out WWW.farmshow.com and order a free copy of the paper.

Jeff

:ychain:

WHC-125

I had a Raider 12 with the factory hitch setup on it and I used the tractor just for pulling. It pulled close to 3000 lbs (stone boat) with no problem at all. I would expect it to hold up to even more weight, as why I am not concerned using the stock hitch for those uses. The tractor at the time also had 75lbs on each wheel, mower deck on it, weights on the front and floor boards, just to give you an idea. Hope that helps :ychain: