Sign in to follow this  
dcrage

Now I know -- Unhook the battery ground terminal

dcrage

So what I know about electrical is not much, as seen by how I caused the problem with my tractor yesterday -- I had the dash board off my 310-8 to move the lift lanyard to the 'correct' position for using my snow blade -- (That was going to be a first for me in 19 years of owning this tractor) -- I did NOT take the ground wire off the battery -- Putting the dash back on I touched a termianl on the ignition to the frame causing a noticible short -- That's when I got around to diconnecting the ground terminal on the battery -- After supper I came back to the tractor, got everything back on (I am pretty sure all of the disconnected wires were put back to the correct terminals on the back of the dash, I actually took notes and I didn't take any wires off of the ignition, I unscrewed the holddown nut and removed the whole ignition assemble from the dash) -- Tried to start the tractor and nothing is happening -- Starter does not engage, lights won't turn on, oil test light doesn't work, timer doesn't come on when the key is turned to the on position -- So from my layman's prespective I have no electrical power to the dash board

I got out my copy of the 310-8 "Dymistification Guide" I see a fuse in the line coming from the battery to the dash (I pulled it, looks good, cleaned it and the terminal)

So what did I burn up when I shorted that terminal on the back of the ignition -- Where do I start looking to get electrical power back to the dash

One other thing -- Everything was working correctly prior to my stupid short circuiting that ignition switch

Thanks for any and all help I get here

WH nut

Check the fuses just right of the battery. You probaly popped one

WheelHorse_of_course

The most likely cause is that you literally burned away a piece of copper on the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the battery.

Take a test light and connect one end to ground and trace one section at a time from the battery to wherever that wire connects to the ignition switch. If you have a real test probe you can even test that wire in the middle by poking through the insulation.

Odds are good you will find your problem at one end or the other of that wire - you should be able to spot it if you look closely - the copper would be burned away and just the plastic insulation holding the connector to the wire.

best of luck.

WheelHorse_of_course

Check the fuses just right of the battery. You probaly popped one

Oh yes, check both ends of the fuse(s) with the test light. It may look OK but actually be bad)

WH nut

What did you figure out? :ychain:

dcrage

Looks like you guys were right on -- I thought the fuse was good, BUT had my son-in-law look at it last night and he immediately says "burnt fuse" (I guess I can blame on my "old" eyes) -- Going to buy a fuse today (all I had were 'minis' around the house) -- So again thanks for your input -- And hopefully I got off with a real cheap lesson and now know to take that damn ground wire off the battery

WH nut

Good to hear :ychain:

porkchop

I have never done anything like that.. :ychain::D :D

d180man

I have never done anything like that.. :hide::DB)

Hi me too! :D:D good luck on it ! i did some thing like that one night on my old chevy snow truck i was working on the carb gas line i pulled it over to put a filter in and hit the + on the back of the alternator :ychain: and killed it !! so it is best to unhook the battery post ! :D :D

rickv1957

Been there and done that!!!