Sign in to follow this  
mark89

no spark no snow thrower fun

mark89

i have a c120 auto it normaly started well but the problum started when i powerwashed the thing it stoped getting power to the coil so i put a hot to it off the batt an it ran fine. An now that were in the middlle of a huge snow in cream ridge nj here i went to go start it an no spark or spark at the points any help would be good thanks

WH nut

Make sure you do have 12 volts to the +side of the coil, if thats good check your points to mkae sure they didnt rust up, iced up or are still wet. That shpuld get you goping for now. Since you lost 12v after power washing, id look at the safety swiches to make sure you didnt blow a wire off, or more than likely have water in them. Check the pto switch first and work it from there

theoldwizard1

... but the problum started when i powerwashed the thing it stoped getting power to the coil so i put a hot to it off the batt an it ran fine.

Your power washing either broke the key switch or the wire (or fuse ?) coming from the key to the hot side of the coil.

An now that were in the middlle of a huge snow in cream ridge nj here i went to go start it an no spark or spark at the points any help would be good thanks

If you are getting no spark even when you hot wire it now, you either burned up the points or the coil. One or both will have to be replaced. Shot it the dark. File the points. (Everybody has a points file in their tool box right ? :ychain: )

mark89

ya the key switch must be bad or the wire an it fired when i put it wway in the fall with a hot to the coil an the points are good now when i checked when i put a hot to the postive side the negative sides hot to so the coil must be shot also i do have a points file lol

thanks for the help

rmaynard

When you got it to start by hooking the 12+ directly to the coil, did you remember to remove it afterward? If not, you may have burned up the coil from having it hot without running.

Bob

mark89

i did remove it but a few min after shuting it down

WH nut

ya the key switch must be bad or the wire an it fired when i put it wway in the fall with a hot to the coil an the points are good now when i checked when i put a hot to the postive side the negative sides hot to so the coil must be shot also i do have a points file lol

thanks for the help

As long as the points are open then neg side of the coil will show voltage, but will not when they are closed

mark89

ya the coil stays hot all the time on both sides

WH nut

Then the points arent closing

WH nut

If the tractor is not in a heated shop after washing. I bet the push rod for the points is frozen keeping the point sopen

mark89

ya i gess that could be the case cas i only started it an ran it to the shed where its kept an never startedit since

WH nut

Did you get it goiong? :ychain:

mark89

no had to shovel most of the day lol :ychain: but i messed with it abit. i put a new coil on it the points pin was not frose moved in out no problum an the voltage stayed on both side when points were open or closed I dont know what wrong i am gonna have to let the snow melt to bring it from the tractor shed to the garage i apreasheate all the help i have gotten sofar thanks

Save Old Iron

Then the points arent closing

or the points may not be grounded properly / engine lost ground connection back to the battery ground.

this would cause both sides of the points to be 12 volts when measured thru a voltmeter.

Always go back to what worked. Reconnect the hot wire from the battery to the coil +. If the engine runs, the points are good and you have a wiring / switch issue.

There is somewhat of a contradiction here. If the engine runs hot wired from the battery

but if you remove the hot wire - then coil stays hot on both sides - that can't be. The negative side of the coil must be dragged to ground by the points closing when the tractor runs. Removing the hot wire from that + side of the coil will not change anything with the points operation.

Go back to hot wired + side of the coil and see if it starts running immediately.

matt middleton

Change you ignition switch.! you got water in it. check for my topic in electrical problems! lol

Operator

Change you ignition switch.! you got water in it. check for my topic in electrical problems! lol

Yup! Got water inside and froze up, try hair dryer then WD-40 it.

Randy

mark89

ok i am gonna try that tomarow we got alot of rain last nite an today melted alot of the snow so i will drag my dead horse lol from the shed to the shop an check that first an see what happens it makes cents that is whats wrong an thank u guys for helping me out somutch

WH nut

Well? :banghead:

mark89

well found that it was the simplest problum of all :banghead: it was a safty switch from the seat that the wire loop some one put on it came out an i dident see it cas it was tucked an in the dark of the shed once i got it in the shop it was easey to see put tha loop in an got spark we got 7inches of snow gonna blowsnow in about a half hr now i got to find bearings for my blower I dont know were to get them thanks to everyone for your help i feel like a dumb ass for not seeing it