Sign in to follow this  
CasualObserver

Other brands weird attachments

CasualObserver

So I also have a few other brands in my stable (as do most of you I'm sure) and I was talking with the gents over on the IH board... there really has been some weird, cool, useful things produced to be used with garden tractors. I was shocked by this brochure page today, and felt it needed to be shared. We're all familiar with the common attachments such as mower decks, blades, plows, carts, sprayers and such... but what are some of the more unique ones you've seen? Dale, you've got that brush cutter... Few of us have seen the Unicorn Log Splitter perhaps...

how about a table saw,

tablesaw.jpg

or chain saw?

chainsaw.jpg

How many people do you were victims of CO poisoning with that tablesaw running in a closed shop or garage? :rolleyes:

T-Mo

Cool. In relation to safety issues, I guess we have gotten smarter in some ways and in other ways, we went overboard (Reverse Switch to mow in reverse).

I know over on wfm there are variety of attachments made that are sort of rare. Log-splitters, generators, ptos to drive conveyor belts, gard-n-carts, etc. I know I don't know all that were made as you just pointed out two that's new to me. Interesting topic, indeed.

CasualObserver

Hey Terry... you're a Deere man as well... these are a few of my favorite Deere oddballs...

The air compressor

comp1.jpg20compressor.jpg

and the Sweepster Transporter with that Brinly Gard-N-Cart you mentioned...

ronssweepster.jpg

These images came from High Ridge Tractor Parts if you've never been there... check it out. Mark's got a very wide range of a collection... and a neat guy to talk to.

T-Mo

Nice link - I never saw that one before. Just as there were a lot of oddball and unfamiliar tractor brands, so are there a few oddball attachments from various manufacturers.

Curmudgeon

The fence row mower, pictured below, is an aftermarket attachment by Bechtold. They made stand alone mowers and I'm sure attachments for other brands as well.

Unitonly.jpg

scanfromassembly.jpg

scanboy.jpg

Wheel Horse also sold many seldom heard of attachments, both made by themselves as well as Allied Attachments. I'm sure you've all heard of the 540 RPM farm pto attachment. It's commonly pictured running things like elevators.

I could probably dig up pictures from brochures of others, though my scans seldom look good. As evidenced by the above pictures. Course, those were from coarse paper with coarse images to start with.

If I can find the time, and ambition, to dig through the brochures, as well scan, resize, yadda, yadda, yadda, I'll post more later. But don't hold your breath! LOL

Dale

T-Mo

Dale,

That's an interesting looking mower. Nice.

nylyon

That front mounted mower thing, I think that someonw was selling these NEW earlier in the year. I was too late to get one, but they look like they can do some severe damage!!!

Curmudgeon

Uh, yeah, someone was selling two new ones of those late last year. Never been used, take both or neither. I took both, traded one for other stuff...........

Same guy or not, can't tell you that. But, the one I have, while the paint has suffered from 30 years of being stuffed here and there, she's MINT!

Dale

nylyon

That's it, he had 2 of em. Was a nice guy, eventhough he sold them already (to you I guess) he sent me the pictures he had.

Curmudgeon

Did one look like this?

P1010025ss.jpg

heh heh heh

This one now resides with me, the other is in North Dakota..........

Dale

Curmudgeon

Just another picture.

I have the guard on the wrong side, but this it mounted on my 855.

Check out how FAR the blade extends beyond the housing in front! Take your foot off at the ankle in no time, with very little effort. Since people are basically dumb, a lot of people did, and that's the reason for the demise of these mowers.

Dale

DSCF1448s.jpg

kpinnc

I like that!

Now if there was a way to swing it out further to the side....

Like the V8 emblem too, Thirdroc.

Curmudgeon

Ah, that V-8 emblem. It came on the tractor. Not quite sure of it's purpose, raise questions I guess. Some Wheel Horses had a "V" in their name, such as the Commando V7 and V8s. The V stood for vertical, the number represented the horsepower. But don't confuse those with the Commando 800, a horizontal engined tractor.

The 855 is also a HORIZONTAL engined tractor, but 8 horsepower...

When I restore the tractor, the emblem will go.

The decorations that show up on these old girls after 40 years, I tell ya... Like no one has looked at the hood ornament on Tall Girl. :(:P:D:(

Dale

Sparky

My neighbor Tony (docwheelhorse on the yahoo site) has a 603 with an SS emblem up front on the grill. I think it looks cool.

Mike......with plain tractors...

kpinnc

I dunno thirdroc, you add a hood scoop and....

I have a 701 that the previous owner drilled holes in the front of the hood. It was the only part of that tractor I didn't originally like, well, aside from it having no engine! :D

But in all honesty, it's kinda grown on me. He did do a good job, and it was a very NEAT patten he put in it. Come resto time, I just might leave them there!

Curmudgeon

I have a couple of project tractors forming in the back of my mind. Ever since a hood scoop was mentioned for the C-520, I've KNOWN I'm going to have a Horse with hood scoop!!!!

I'm just not sure which tractor it will be though. Maybe one with a really large engine, or maybe the articulated, or maybe something else entirely............

All I can say for sure is, don't hold your breath, some of my projects can take 5 years to form in my mind, and 5 more to complete. :D

Dale