Sign in to follow this  
j.d.kerstetter

520 HC vs. 520 H

j.d.kerstetter

Would somebody please enlighten me on the differences between the 520 HC and the 520 H. I am familiar with the 520 H but not he HC. I saw an add for a used 1991 HC and according to the WH mode/year listing the 520 H was made that year but no HC's. :whistle:

Thanks in advance.

J.D.K

Sparky

I believe that the "C" stands for Commercial. It was a tractor designed more for the contractor/landscaper who didnt want chrome stuff and fancy idiot lights. It might have the heavier front spindles as well.

Its still a Wheel Horse and just as rugged as a 520-H.

Mike..............

j.d.kerstetter

Thanks Mike. I have the list that was posted here at one time that listed each WH model year and the models produced and assume that it is accurate. I have called about this tractor for 2 days and gotten no answer at the number in the add <_< . Wish me luck. J.D.

Nick

If it is a 1991 its a 520-H and should have a swept forward axle and reduction steering. The older HC tractors had the swept axles but not the reduction steering.

520HC

The HC was only made in 1989.

DMESS

Two years: :whistle:

C1-20OE01 = 1988

C1-20OE02 = 1989

The HC commercial duty model subsituted the H's spiffy chrome and full array of warning lights for several upgrades in the durability department. The biggest item was the heavy duty forward swept axle with the reinforced spindles. This model also featured a high capacity air cleaner, 400 CCA battery and oversized 4 ply rubber. 7.50's in the front, 10.50's in the rear. The HC also came standard with folding arm rests and "commercial" non skid footmats.

This would have been the first tractor since the 1984 C-195 to handle a 60" deck.

The unique HC features found there way onto the 1990 and later 520-H and you got the chrome to boot!

Complements of the "Maroon Stripe Man"

• Like 1

j.d.kerstetter

Well, thanks guys for the replies....but alas I have called the number in the local listing several times and left messages and have had not gotten a call back :whistle: Sold? Wrong number in add? Guess I will never know. I will just have to keep looking.

J.D.K.

Rideawaysenior

I was talking with a WH mechanic this week and he also advised that the engine was built a bit different. The pistons and rods were designed a bit differently compared to the 20hp Onan used on the 520. It sounded a bit off to me but I've never taken one of these engines apart yet so being this guy has I took his word at it. He works at a Master Wheel Horse Dealer in Amherst, MA. He also advised that the steering is the quick steer which is a bit different then the standard versions used. The trans is the same as the others but equipped with a bigger rear wheel size. The ground speed is also 7mph. The front end has the HD front axles wheel bearings for longer life. All and all there is quite a bit of difference minus a few of the bells and whistles that the 520 H usually has.

Jack

Partsman Mark

The 520HC were made for 2 years, 1988 and 1989. In 1990 There was only the 520H which incorporated the swept front axle. The 520HC has a faster forward and backward speed that the 520HC.

truckin88

The eaton 1100 on the hc also allowed faster ground speed than the 1100 on the 520h of the same year.