Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Penetrating oil

Bill

This years "Best Of Farm Show 2011" magazine had a article about whats the best penetrating oil. It says that the "Machinist's Workshop Magazine recently tested penetrating oil for break-out torque on rusted nuts". It goes on to say that they "Scientifically rusted" a bunch of nuts, then treated them with various oils and measured the torque to remove them. I doesn't say how long they let the oil sit before removing them. Here are the results:

Nothing- 516 pounds

WD-40 - 238 pounds

PB Blaster- 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench- 127 pounds

Kano Kroil 106 pounds

ATF And Acetone in a 50/50 mix- 53 pounds

I though it was a good article.Funny it seems for once the cheapest of them all has tested out to be the best :ychain:

zieg72

Thanks for sharing, cool I got access to a spray can filling machine, I will have to whip me up a batch and try it out....

Sparky

Are these all available in a spray can? Never heard of the Kroil one, wheres it available?

Mike.......

puddlejumper

I buy kroil oil at a local parts store. It is VERY expensive but I happen to agree with the test results and say you get what you pay for. It makes you put it where you want it and not just soak down everything though. Never tried ATF and acetone though I will give it a whirl though.

c81horse

Ive worked in a transmission shop most of my life and ive always used Kano kroil or PB blaster I love Kano Or at home when i work on tractors i use Breack Free The miltary gun oil in my squirt can All work great i think Used mobil one oil in squirt can too

dgoyette

Liquid Wrench gets my vote. Has the best performance to price ratio. kano is 4-5 times the price and not that much better.

dgoyette

On the ATF / acetone mix wouldn't you have to be careful on painted areas??

c81horse

i dont know about liquid wrench Kano ive seen work miracles Trick is to use alot of it and let it sit and do its job PB blaster is Magnectic it work very well too

c81horse

Breack free CLP ( Cleaner Lubrcant Perstive ) Seems to work wonders its a very thin oil that is mainly used on miltary rifles but ive seen it work wonders as well and its fairly cheap

DMK855

I would have to say that the Kano Kroil is the best stuff I have ever used!! Also use PB Blaster!!!

porkchop

I have used the aero kroil for years at my old job and still use it in my shop. It,s worth the money. :ychain:

rickv1957

I have used the aero kroil for years at my old job and still use it in my shop. It,s worth the money. :ychain:

Good stuff!!!

c81horse

You have to admit its hard to pick a favorite

Coadster32

I have used the aero kroil

Me too. Seems to work well, but stinky indeed. :ychain: