Sign in to follow this  
RyanC

Snow Plow Transformation! This is an Experiment.

RyanC

Hello Everybody! I'm doing a little experiment here with the snow plow. I've been toying with this idea for about two weeks now. The goal is to change the plow from a rear mount to a front frame mount.

I really want to be able to load this WH tractor with snow plow mounted onto my trailer easily. I usually plow my in-laws drive just after I'm done with ours and it's about 15 minutes away so I have to load the unit each time onto a trailer.

Hopefully putting this plow on the front of the tractor will give the tractor some more ground clearance and allow the blade to be raised higher for quicker loading and un-loading.

I'm planning to fabricate a strong front "bumper" that is bolted or welded to the frame and then the plow will be able to be mounted to it when needed.

I started tonight at 10:30 pm after the boy was in bed and came in thinking it was about midnight. Oops it's 2:00 am. Better stop for tonight :ychain:

Tonight I was able to cut the blade frame, weld the pivot mount on the cut blade, and remove the mounts from the rear axle. I'm planning to add another bit of bracing to the plow and then build a bumper of some sort on the front of the tractor to mount it to.

I'm trying to use as much of the old plow as possible to create the new version.

I'll post more pics as it progresses! Let me know your thoughts. I'm sure somebody here has probably done this before and I know you'll have some good ideas.

leftsidebefore.gif

oldblademounted.gif

cutblade.gif

newblade3.gif

newblade1.gif

newblade2.gif

neil

Sounds like a good idea but how will you raise and lower plow once you have attatched to tractor, also could you tell me what that sprocket does on the trans axle (im curious )

thanx

Neil from UK

massey

This is looking like a neat project. Ditto on that sprocket.

Operator

First question - Ya what is that sprocket for? :ychain:

Now - If you would have the mid or front attach-a-matic you could hitch into that.

As far as lifting- look at how the snowblowers lift, by pushing on the lower part of blower, even the D-blower has arms that come down then push.

You could weld tabs on the lower part of your new upright hitch on plow. Make sense?

You have a good idea and start.

Randy

RyanC

Well, the sprocket was part of a 4-wheel drive system that the previous owner had fabricated. The front axle that used to be on the tractor was very worn and had some broken parts so I just chose to do away with the whole system. The only part remaining on the tractor is that sprocket on the rear axle that ultimately drove the front wheels.

Randy, thanks for the good lift ideas. I've been searching around trying to figure out exactly how this lift system for the blower actually works. If you know of any pics or videos of it let me know. I'm pretty new to WH implements so I have a lot to learn about how they operate.

I had been thinking about welding a bar that would stick straight up from the hinged area of the plow that could be attached the the hand lift back near the steering wheel via chain or small rod.

I would be very interested in seeing a pic of the front or mid attach-a-matic if anybody has one. I'll look around here on the forum I'm sure there is one. I'm hoping to fabricate something similar.

I knew you guys would have some good ideas :ychain:

jtmoyer

are you interest in getting rid of the rest of the pow frame? you are only about 40 min from me.

catman81056

I fabbed up a lift system using the mid atach-matic as a pivit point for my snow blower. Pretty simple and very effective. I'll take a few pics and post them .

btrrg1969

The clearance is an issue , I have a trailer 4X8 from TSC (low to the ground) with a tailgate and I still have to use ramps in conjunction with the gate to load it .

Operator

4X4? interesting! What you need on tractor is the mid and front hitchs.

Trading material? Plow frame cut off sction?

There is lots of pictures on here, got to just hunt in the attachment section of "pictures".

Catman is good, he'll come up with something too.

Randy

catman81056

This is the system I used on both my plow and snow blower. It's made using 1/4"X 1" flat bar. The bushing is 3/4" ID and the cross bar is 3/4" round. You might have to play with the length and spacing of the mid-attach bars, but thats what tack welds are for :ychain:

DSCF0820.jpg

DSCF0821.jpg

DSCF0822.jpg

DSCF0823.jpg

Experiment to end up with the height of lift you want. From seeing what you've done so far, I'd say you have the ability to make it work.

Post pics :D

catman81056

If your trailer had a tilt bed that would be nice. If not, make the attachment simple enough that you could take the plow off and put it back on with little trouble. The system I made will probably drag while loading as it sticks down a bit.

Your mention of using a bar sticking up has promise, the thing to consider is the weight you would have to lift. The lever system really cuts down on "felt" weight. If you can come up with a mid attach bracket for a pivot and come out the side of the frame with the pivot rod, attach your second lever to the end of the rod and then go to your bar. Jeez, I wish I could some how draw this. If you can see in your mind some of what I'm trying to explain here I know you can figure it out.

Experiment and post pics.

One way or another we'll help get you going.

RyanC

Tim, thanks so much for the pics. This gives me some really good ideas. It's nice to see that someone has done this before. I really like how you made the 3/4 hinge. I might just try that.

Here's the progress I've made today so far. Hoping to get back out there tonight :ychain:

I basically made a miniature bumper for the front mount. I will then bolt my rear "quick attach mounts" to this bumper and that will hinge the plow. This will all be bolted on so that I can change it later if needed.

I'd rather weld everything but I'm trying to think ahead for future uses (difficult for me). Ok here's some pics of todays work. The bumper is welded up but just needs to be drilled for the bolts. I now have it all marked and just went to Menards for the bolts.

I'm really enjoying this project. Just had an idea that I might use the new bumper for a winch mount.

I'm planning to take Randy and Tim's idea for lifting the plow from the bottom. That's the plan for now anyway!

Keep the good ideas coming. You all are a huge help! Hope the pics aren't too big and take too long to load.

40.png

32.png

33.png

34.png

35.png

36.png

37.png

38.png

39.png

catman81056

:ychain: Thats using the ol noggen!!

I drew up a really crappy pic of what I was talking about, you might be able to incorperarte some of it in your lift system. Now I'm talking crappy drawing here, 1st or 2nd grade level, please don't laugh :D

frontplowliftsystem.jpg

Operator

You did good so far! Kept plow a-frame level with ground.

Please don't weld to frame of tractor. You may want to change something later.

Now from the back of the drop down part of plow frame you could run a tube up to your rock shaft up under tractor. To see if you can lift it :ychain:

Or you may get your winch now and mount on top of that plate and be like an ATV

with a plow. That won't be real fast but will work.

Randy

jusjeepn

PM sent!

RyanC

Thanks Tim for the drawing! I like how you use the bell crank and kept the clearance high from ground to frame. Looks like a very smooth operation! I still haven't decided exactly what to do yet. So many great ideas...

Oh boy, Randy you're tempting me to run out and get a winch. I'm trying not to do it. Been wanting one for awhile now! I wonder if it would be worth it to have the electric lift???

To those who are interested in the rest of the frame, it's really not in that good of shape anyway. I had cut and modded it in the past and it probably wouldn't be much use to you other than scrap metal. However, if it was decent I would be up for trading. I'm a trader who's always looking for something new :ychain:

catman81056

Good idea Randy. :ychain: You can catch those Harbor Freight 2500 lb winch's on sale for $50.00. That would be worth it. I have a cheepy fron Rural King and it's a pretty good winch. Might save alot of aggravation.

massey

Looking good so far. It's great to see all these ideas you guys have.

ps. I have c clamps that look like that.

RyanC

WOW!!! I am super happy with how this project is developing. I had no idea that it would turn out with a maximum lift of 16 inches (cutting edge to the ground). This thing is going to walk up on my trailer with no problem now.

I bolted the bumper bracket together tonight and then mounted up the plow as you

dgoyette

Wow that is some lift height. Did you say the lift is even easier than before?

You should be proud of this project, it turned out great. Have you worked out the blade angling system yet?

bitten

Man you will be able to push up 10' piles of snow with that thing, turned out nice. :ychain:

jtmoyer

pm sent

squonk

I'm not poo-pooing a neat project but my idea would have been using the fact that you have to trailer the tractor to your in-laws you'd have a good excuse to get another Tractor :hide::D The wife couldn't say anything about that!! :ychain::D I'm surprised no one else thought of that. :D

AMC RULES

Day-um! You sure met the objective, huh? That is some crazy lift height you got there buddy. You done good. :ychain:

MikesRJ

Outstanding results. Bravo! :D :ychain: