Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknownCat

Safari 399 (Wheel Horse Snowmobile)

TheUnknownCat

I have no idea how this wound up in the middle of Oklahoma, but the craigslist ad said that it was complete, and unmolested, and had been sitting in his yard for 16 years, and that for twenty bucks I could drag it off, so naturally -I did.

Having never lived in snowmobile country, I don't know anything about them, never had the opportunity to tear into one. Twenty bucks seems like cheap tuition, so I'm in. I'm an old hand with two stroke dirt bikes, and this isn't much of a stretch from there, now that I've poked around. Looks like the K399 Kohler wants to run, and the rest of this beast looks like it's game for a go or two, if we ever get enough snow. I intend to just give it a going-over and hide it somewhere until we get that snow, and then be king of the beer runs for a day or two.

Info on these is pretty rare, so I'm taking the opportunity to post the pics for the next knucklehead that wants to know. Let me know if you have any questions.

Snowmobile.jpg

Snowmobilegrill.jpg

SnowmobileEngine2.jpg

SnowmobileEngine1.jpg

rickv1957

Nice find there!!! :ychain: Rick

racinfool40

Sweet find I've heard of them but thats the 1st one I've ever seen!!!!Thanks for Sharing the pics!!!!! :ychain:

stevasaurus

Looks to be in very good shape. First one I have seen. A snowmobile for $20.00...great find. :D I think there was a Wheel Horse snowmobile trailer for sale on here a few weeks ago. :ychain:

TheUnknownCat

Can I get it for twenty bucks too?

This thing aint going far, just behind the barn. I'm pretty sure that the C160 will be happy to help me drag it.

CasualObserver

Unknown Cat.... Nice find down there in OK. Have you looked at my website?

wave_n_point.gif

http://www.vintagewheelhorses.com/snowmobiles

Any questions.... drop me a line.

TheUnknownCat

Oh yeah I did! You've got just about the only info on these things on the web, thank you very much. I'll post better pics after I get it cleaned up, and would be glad to send you some to add to your collection.

TheUnknownCat

Since I have your attention -some of your links don't work. Some of them take you back to the main page instead of enlarging the pic?

Kelly

I take it you don't get much snow around you? you must live in the southern end? that sled looks like it faired good for setting all that time.

Duff

Head-on photo of that rig reminds me of a Ford Falcon! :D

Duff :ychain:

6wheeler

That is neat. Of course, if you don't get any snow. You could probably put a 48" deck on it :ychain: . A friend of mine has one that looks just like yours, in about the same shape as well. I have been trying to get him to join us, as his stable would probably rival Ricks. He has worked for Toro for ever and has designed many of the parts and tractors many of us have. He is very ill now and this is not a priority for him. But, I will keep trying. Jason, Where did you find that semi picture. That is a Diamond Reo. Cabovers by that company are rare to say the least. I would love to have one :D . If you don't get enough snow, do what we do. Trailer it here to Mn. I'll go ridin with ya. Pat

CasualObserver

Since I have your attention -some of your links don't work. Some of them take you back to the main page instead of enlarging the pic?

Yeah, sorry about that... I set that up originally as a free geocities webpage. When Yahoo dropped the geocities sites, I transferred over to my own domain, and still haven't gotten the pictures re-linked.

Jason, Where did you find that semi picture. That is a Diamond Reo. Cabovers by that company are rare to say the least. I would love to have one :ychain:

Pat, I found that picture online... and contacted the owner of the website who got me in contact with the actual photographer, and he gave me permission to use it. He also sent me two more he found. They're all in the gallery too. http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4498