Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

GT-14 ignition switch wiring question

JUSS10

well sort of. the wiring on my GT-14 was less than wonderful and i thought it went out on me so i decided to re wire the whole thing. well putting things back together i was looking at how to wire the ignition switch and according to the wiring schematic there is a wire from the voltage regulator to the ignition switch to a pole labeled "R". well looking at my switch there isn't an "R" but rather a "G" that is visibly connected to the body of the switch so i assume this is a ground connection. so that said, can i just connect the orange wire coming from the voltage regular to a hot wire that ends up going to the pos end of the battery? any help here would be great. thanks

scan0001.jpg

Save Old Iron

Justin,

you need a different ignition switch - part # 8362 - for the breaker-less ignition systems of that era (1970ish)

The "G" terminal will work for grounding the magneto based ignition.

The lack of an "R" terminal, although not a show stopper, will force you to wire the regulator output directly into the 12 volt circuit in the tractor. This is not the best practice since it will not disconnect the output of the regulator from the tractor electrical system when you shut off the ignition key.

pfrederi

I believe you could wire the regulator wire to the A Accessory (Lights) terminal. On the Magneto switch I tested (5terminal) there is continuity between the A terminal and the Battery terminal only with the key in the run position. It is disconnected in OFF and Start.

JUSS10

i think that might have been how it was wired before, connected to the light circuit. thanks for the input.

Save Old Iron

Good one Paul,

I learned something today and I thank you.

I just wonder if the "A" contact inside the ignition switch has the same heft as the "R" terminal which was designed to take a full 15 amps plus from the the regulator.

I have seen some ignition switches plated with silver or tungsten on the B and R terminals and just copper on the A terminals.

Interesting. :ychain: :D