Sign in to follow this  
dwayneGT

GT 1142 charging question

dwayneGT

What should the voltage read on the battery with the eng. running? :ychain:

Sparky

Mid 13's to low 14's on a voltage meter.

Mike.........

dwayneGT

That's what I thought. 12.5 v just didn't seem right. Time to find another chewed wire. stinking mice!!

Sparky

Mice suck pal. I've been killing at least 2 a week in my tractor shed for months. Seems like theres no end to em :ychain: .

Mike.......

TT

Actually - on this particular model/engine - battery voltage while running won't be a whole lot more than it was before the engine was started. (not counting the "drain" imposed by the starter motor)

The 3A diode-rectified DC alternator is only intended to recharge the battery after the engine is started. The ignition is "self-powered" (magneto) and the headlights are powered by a separate section of the stator, so there's no need for a high amp charging system.

Normal output with a fully-charged battery is around 2 amps @ 3600 rpm if you wish to check the system with a meter. The procedure can be found in most B&S engine manuals.

That being said...... as long as the tractor will start and the battery stays above 12-ish volts, the charging system is working. :ychain:

dwayneGT

Thanks Terry! I got the tractor ( 4' snowblade,wheel weights, deck & trac vac) for nothing in need of some TLC. I had to do some re-wiring, replace the magn, and rebuild the carb. I just got it running yesterday and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything in the wiring.

Shuboxlover

Thanks Terry! I got the tractor ( 4' snowblade,wheel weights, deck & trac vac) for nothing in need of some TLC. I had to do some re-wiring, replace the magn, and rebuild the carb. I just got it running yesterday and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything in the wiring.

WOW!!!!

Nice find :ychain: