Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

k181 rebuild

dgjks6

I got the cover on and the points on and gapped perfectly.

Now for the head bolt question.

The head has 7 bolts. 6 are 1 1/2inch 5/16-18. I got these brand new in a Grade 8.

The seventh head bolt is 1 3/4. None of the stores have one. Can I use a 1 1/2?

Oh - and where does the longer bolt go? It does not have a washer but an "L" shaped thing under it.

Duff

Greg, the "L-shaped" part is a lift point for taking the engine out with a hoist. I could tell you where it goes on an M-series but I'm not sure on your motor - sorry!

Duff :thumbs:

jcb857

Is the L shape piece for supporting the starter :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

The Long bolt with the 'L' shaped plate goes in the Hole between the Exhaust Valve and the Cylinder bore. should be position Number 1 on the Head bolt tightening plan in the Manual. This is the nearest 'Point of Balance' for lifting the Engine out, the most metal and the need for a longer bolt.

dgjks6

Can I just use seven 1 1/2 inch bolts and leave it off?

Anglo Traction

Can I just use seven 1 1/2 inch bolts and leave it off?

I suppose it's your call really, but as the 1 3/4" is there for the 'Lifting Eye' plate, replacing it with 1 1/2" bolt and washer should not create any adverse affect.

tunahead72

I'm thinking about tearing into one of my K241's this winter (haven't decided yet, just thinking), and I ran across this thread, and read pretty much every word. I found it very informative and entertaining, especially at 2:45 in the morning. :banghead:

I know an engine rebuild for many of you is a day job, but here at casa de Kovacevich I hope to have it done by early spring.

This statement sums up where I'm at skill-wise on these things, so if I decide to pull mine apart, I fully expect to take at least as much time as you did. :thumbs2:

I just wanted to thank you and everybody who contributed to this project, I know I'll be back later to take another read, maybe when I'm more awake.

But I have to ask, is it done yet? Does it run? :banghead:

dgjks6

Yep its done. Runs like a champ, but keeps running for a while when I turnthe key off. Going to recheck the timing.

I restored the tractor to run the snowblower this winter, so its been siiting all summer waiting for action.

tunahead72

:banghead:

Except for the run-on, that is. <_<

Maybe a stray piece of carbon or something in the combustion chamber? :banghead:

Let us know how it turns out after you adjust the timing. :thumbs2: