Sign in to follow this  
Dual Wheels

Drive on a Charger V8

Dual Wheels

Is there any way to disengage the drive on a 1970 Charger V8 to make it easier to push? It has an Eaton model 6 tranny. The lever has a tow position but does nothing much. Even with the drive belt off it's verry hard to push. Just picked it up yesterday and haven't worked on one before. :whistle:

nylyon

Don't know anything of that hydro, but my hydro's are hard to push I think that is the nature of the beast.

combatmp29r

Norm,

The tow position just releases the belt tension, and the brake tension. It should be as easy to push as a standard in neutral with the belt off. Spray some PB blaster under the drive pulley, and make sure the controls are pushed either all the way forward to roll it in reverse, or all the way to reverse to roll it forward. If the controls are in neutral the passage ways aren't open to let the fluid flow around when you push it.

So this is vert #2 isn't it? Pics would be great, and if you need parts let me know. I have 2 of the 70 charger V8s, and 3 of the 69 charger V8s. Most parts cross from year to year, but not all. I can send you copies of the owners and parts manuals if you need them.