Sign in to follow this  
grnlark

Is one more collectible than the other?

grnlark

I really like the oddity of the 953's and 1054's but know little to nothing about them. Is one more collectible than the other or are they about the same as far as rarity? I know one has the 9hp and the other has the 10 hp but were there any other major differences? If both were parked in front of you and you had to chose one, which would it be and why?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Kelly

I'm no expert on them but they are basicly the same, they made them 3 years 953, 1054 and 1054A the 9hp engine had the gov. bumped up a bit to become a 10hp, I know the front wheels changed, lights in the front are bit different, you don't see a ton of them around my area but they are out there.

Oh ya the 953 had a Ross steering gear box, the 1054's had fan gears like most horses

CTPATRIOT

Interesting about the steering.I think they're both cool looking rigs.

pond195520032003

Kelly beat me to it about the steering :ychain: :D

Kelly

I think I remember they marked some of the tractors this body as Workhorse but I can't find the post that covered that.

that would be a rare one.

HorseFixer

I have had both, and presently have the 953 without the seat shown. But have the seat now. It has the Ross Steering Box :ychain: Which is by far not the best setup as they stripped out. Wheel Horse made a kit to replace these as Kelly stated with the more desirable Fan Gear setup. at the end of 1963 the dealers were changing these out and many were sold with this modification done already. The 953 had a Kohler 9.6hp engine. :D what I like about these tractors and correct me if I am wrong...... This was the first tractor that the The HY-3 Hydraulics kit came standard on these models. :D

Kelly

It was the only line of WH's that were stick shift that had hyd. lift as standard equipment

HorseFixer

It was the only line of WH's that were stick shift that had hyd. lift as standard equipment

Correct, The first auto was in 1965 875 :ychain:

Kelly

and the 1075

Indy w h

Duke the 953's had the HY-2's with a shorter cannister on them. They had the double hooby-Dooby spring ( as Stevasaurus would put it ) it wasn't until the 1054's came out that Hein-Warner re-designed the spool valve and the pump casing to allow for the new spring to be used. Thus they called the HY-3 pump. As for the 1054a's built in 1965 was the last year for the Hein-Warner pump to be used on a Wheel-Horse.

Indy