Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

New TV's ??

mowerman1193

Last night our TV quit working. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later. Sure would have been nice if it could have waited until spring but these things never time them when you actually have some money, :thumbs:

Ok so my question is.... What are some things to look for with all these new TV's that you actually get a remote thing with and so on. What is a better one to buy that would be cheap to run. They have all these fancy LCD, LED, HDTV etc etc. Looking for something about the size of 27" - 32" But really anything is going to be better than this hand me down 13" black & white TV that we have in the living room now, :wh::)

I have to be honest...I don't watch TV so I could care less but boy the wife and kids was ready to go buy a new TV about 10 min after this old 27" one we had wouldn't turn on. Me being a deal finder talked them into letting me wait until next week to look around for a deal, and do my research. I don't like going out and buying the first TV I find. I like to research and get the best bang for my hard earned dollar..

So fill me in on these newer TV's if you know anything about them. Whats better LCD or LED. What use's more energy to run. Etc etc.

Thanks,

Kevin

Coadster32

The LCD tv's are backlit by flouresent bulbs. The LED tv's are actually a LCD tv backlit by LEDs. They will last longer, and are cheaper to run. Being that they are newer, they are more expensive. Over time, the flouresent bulb has a tendency to change from white to a slight yellow. A slight color adjustement, and you're back to being normal. They sell a dvd to help you with the adjustment, but if you have, or can borrow, Disney's Cars movie, there's an adjustment program on that you can run for free. You may as well get a 1080p tv also. Sharp, Sony and Samsung, the three S's, are the top brands right now. Although alot of people are still happy with other brands as well. I only know this because I went thru it recently. Good Luck

LCD=liquid crystal display

LED=light emitting diode

Daddy Don

I just bought a 55 inch HDTV LED Vizio from Sam,s club. The model is XVT553SV 1080p 240hz. It has the best picture of any tv I have ever owned. It is computer ready and has an easy setup. If you have a Sams in your town check out their TV's.

mowerman1193

Chris, thank you for all that info. I never knew that the LCD was backlit with flouresent bulbs. I understand now why the LED's cost a little more. They are probably the better route to go in getting a new TV. However I see some great deals coming on the LCD's in the next year or so with the newer LED's on the market now. I would think maybe either one is probably less energy use than the old TV I had..

Thanks again for the info,

Kevin

mowerman1193

I just bought a 55 inch HDTV LED Vizio from Sam,s club. The model is XVT553SV 1080p 240hz. It has the best picture of any tv I have ever owned. It is computer ready and has an easy setup. If you have a Sams in your town check out their TV's.

Yes I had planned to check out our Sam's club next week to see what all they have. I know they have a lot of TV's every time we walk in we say we want to get one. This old TV has been bad for over a year. Was just hoping to get another year out of it.

Kevin

AMC RULES

We just got a new Sanyo 42" LCD, priced so good, couldn't pass it up. Nice pict, no complaints so far. Will look for the Disney Cars vid to keep it's color in tune long term. Thanks for the tip. :thumbs:

horsefeathers

I'm also lookin' to replace my 17 year old Magnavox 27" TV.

A little fuzzy at start up, but still a good set!

Anyone think I can get 17 years out of a new TV?

Yhe guys at work all say Samsung LED 240hz is the way to go!

I like the look of the LED over the LCD there brighter.

Consumer Report states Vizio LCD is a best buy!

I'll keep watchin' this thread for more advice!

Thanks

rmaynard

Between my household, my son, and my daughter, there have been 5 Toshiba's, 3 Olevia's, 2 Sharp's, 1 Samsung, and 1 Sony over the last 5 years. Out of all of them, the Toshiba is absolutely tops in my opinion.

Bob

mowerman1193

I'm also lookin' to replace my 17 year old Magnavox 27" TV.

A little fuzzy at start up, but still a good set!

Anyone think I can get 17 years out of a new TV?

Yhe guys at work all say Samsung LED 240hz is the way to go!

I like the look of the LED over the LCD there brighter.

Consumer Report states Vizio LCD is a best buy!

I'll keep watchin' this thread for more advice!

Thanks

I have to be honest. I had a old TV that was at least 20 years old. Still worked good but it had the channel changing dials ( no remote ) and the color tube went out so it made the screen green. We watched it like that for a couple years, :thumbs: just because we didn't have much money to get a new one. Finally I bought the TV that just went out was only 5 - 6 years old. Now I know we just bought a cheapy as money was real tight at the time. I have to say that this TV has been acting up for well over a year. I am very disappointed with this new one and now I still do not have a lot of extra money but am hoping to spend enough to get a good TV. Just not sure if this new stuff is REALLY good as it has not been around for 20 years yet. And like everything else newer is just throwaway crap.

Kevin

JMW

I've had a 48in. VIZIO LCD from wal mart for over a year and have had no problems.I think they are a pretty good tv for the money.

Daddy Don

The LED VIZO says it will go for at least 30,000 hours without any problems.

Sparky

The LED VIZO says it will go for at least 30,000 hours without any problems.

So say the average household runs the TV for 5 hours a day. With 30,000 hours available you would get 6000 days out of it which is 16.4 years of service if the 30,000 hour pitch is true.

Mike.......

Kelly

I bought a display model from walmart 2 years ago, got it much cheaper that way, and it has been the best TV ever, it's a Sharp LCD 42" I've seen LCD TV's in ads latly for under $300

pond195520032003

those tv's are nice! dont get talked into buying a plasma tv!, they start loosing 15 percent of their picture clairity within 7 months to a year!

wh79d160

Just went thru this this weekend. Bought 2 today. A 42" plasma & a 32" LCD. I subscribe to consumer report. If you go smaller than 40" the plasma's out as no one makes one smaller than 40" Under 40" . LCD's are the most economical. CR rates in 32" Panasonic tc-l32x2 & Sanyo dp32670 as the BEST BUYS. Both around $400.00 . In the 27" they RECOMMEND the sony kdL-22bx300 ($450.00) & the samsung Ln26c450 ($270.00). As the salesman advised where I bought my TV's , CR is just one groups opinion. I guess it's similar to "what's the correct red for my :D ?" But the answer is the same." Whatever looks good to you." :ychain: P.S. I have DISH NETWORK & had another reciever installed yesterday. The tec advised Dish can not process a signal in anything greater than 720p so spending the xtra cash on a 1080P would be wasteful. He said it would cost them millions of $$ to be able to transmitt a 1080p signal & they have no future plans to do this as they just upgraded to 720p. I bought a 50" panasonic plasma 4 yrs ago & it has not lost any picture clarity. Plasma has a crisper picture than LCD.

buckrancher

I have a sony brava 52" LCD HD1080p 120hz for two years now and love it

if you like really fast action stuff be sure to get a 120hz tv the 60hz can leave

ghost trails

our room is 12 feet wide and the tv is mounted on the wall and seating is on the

oposite wall and no the tv is not to big :ychain:

Brian

DoctorHfuhruhurr

cnet.com has some really good reviews of tv's with a detailed breakdown by type and size. It made it easy for me when I shopped for the biggest and best under $10K.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/?tag=