Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Snow Plow Edge

boovuc

Guys,

I'm trying something new on the cutting edge of my C series snow plow this winter. At my work, (the place I show up at), we use and pitch 1.5 foot by 3 foot HDPE, (high-density polyethylene), panels used on a die cutter. These panels are 3/8" thick. I cut a panel and mounted two pieces of this material across the width of the plow between the plow and the cutting blade exposing about 1/2" to contact my paved driveway. When I don't snowblow, I will use the blade and see how well it holds up. I gouged my driveway before and have been looking for something that is kinder and gentler on that asphalt. I don't think it will last a long time but you never know until you try. No plowable snow yet in Central PA. Right now, it's water-water everywhere followed by a deep freeze. Ice skating anyone?

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

KC9KAS

I thought about using UHMW, but was afraid the plow might "skip" on the snow.

Although the small town I live in have WESTERN plows on 4 X 4 trucks and have a rubber cutting edge, and the guy told me it works pretty good, but is does skip once in a while on really packed stuff.

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

I fashioned a new edge from an old tractor trailer truck mudflap. I've also seen Tractor Supply Company sells heavy rubber horse mats by the foot. You could buy a foot of it and make 3 - 4" blades for your plow. I have a bad gravel driveway and the uneven surface was wearing down my plow edge badly on the ends. I've yet to use it this year but will post a pic as soon as I get it mounted and have my roller chaines installed.

ducky

it should work. the rubber will skip on hard pack but a steel blade will to. and a plastic edge should work not sure how it would hold up to the cold.

Duff

it should work. the rubber will skip on hard pack but a steel blade will to. and a plastic edge should work not sure how it would hold up to the cold.

I don't know where you'd get the stuff, but commercial ice rinks use a band of plastic where the dasher boards (the boards around the rink we like to see players get slammed into!) meet the ice. This is about a six inch wide strip, maybe 3/8-1/2 inch thick and its there to take the beating from the edger - the piece of equipment that scrapes the ice right next to the boards where the Zamboni surface planer can't quite reach. The stuff is incredibly tough and resistant to shattering from cold. Might be worth checking out as a blade edge if anyone knows where to get the stuff? :)

Duff :thumbs:

sawhorse

Tractor trailer re-treads often fall off and are seen along the edges of highways. This material is very durable and would make a fine snow plow edge for those who don't want to damage a paved surface.

pumper.atv

I don't know where you'd get the stuff, but commercial ice rinks use a band of plastic where the dasher boards (the boards around the rink we like to see players get slammed into!) meet the ice. This is about a six inch wide strip, maybe 3/8-1/2 inch thick and its there to take the beating from the edger - the piece of equipment that scrapes the ice right next to the boards where the Zamboni surface planer can't quite reach. The stuff is incredibly tough and resistant to shattering from cold. Might be worth checking out as a blade edge if anyone knows where to get the stuff? :D

Duff :ychain:

i have used sheets of that plastic for diff things, neat stuff, you can run screws into the end of it get it from a freind who repairs zambonis