Sign in to follow this  
strausbo

Kirk's Pointsaver

strausbo

I am looking for any positive or negative feedback from anyone who has used David Kirk's POINTSAVER unit on a Kohler engine. I am considering trying one on my K-301 ('69 Charger 12 Automatic).

TT

:thumbs: A '69 Charger 12 should have breakerless (solid-state) ignition.

CasualObserver

Dave Kirk has the new POINTSLAYER for the breakerless (Solid State) engines, as well as the POINTSAVER for breaker point engines.

You'll find more reviews at IH Cub Cadet forums than here... he is a cub collector and they are his primary business.

Note... if you view his website through Firefox, you have to highlight the page to read the text... either click your mouse and drag it to the bottom, or go to the Menu bar and select Edit =>Select All.

TT

The "pointsaver" uses the OEM breaker points, but turns them into a low-voltage trigger (switch). The module is then responsible for grounding the negative side of the coil through internal circuitry. Because minimal voltage is present at the contacts, they will last much longer.

The "pointslayer" completely takes the place of the breaker points and is triggered by a special spring-loaded pushrod that still operates off of the lobe on the camshaft.

strausbo

I've owned this tractor for 28 years and have always believed it to be original. Now I am wondering as the K-301 has points, condensor, and coil. There is a solid state voltage regulator. Everything looks to be original to me?

Speaking of the coil......could someone clarify for me whether I should have a coil with internal resistor with stock points etc? Last weekend I realized that I have a coil on it that requires an external resistor which I do not see. If I use a pointSAVER unit from Kirk, will it really matter which type of coil I have? Thanks!

TT

Can you post the model number - or some pictures - or both? :)

OEM Kohler coils have an internal resistor. If the condensor is good and the points aren't imported junk, they will last years.

I would direct the question about the coil compatibility of the Pointsaver to the manufacturer. :thumbs:

strausbo

Model is 1-7245. The PO gave me all of the original manuals for the tractor and each and every implement that was included in the purchase. I will attempt to upload a photo. It will be my first attempt at doing this on this site.

TT

That's a 1969 Electro 12.

Unless it's a very rare exception, it should have the breakerless ignition, so someone must have changed it somewhere along the way.

Do you happen to have the engine numbers?

strausbo

K301S

Spec Number 47421d

Serial Number 7201246

Right off the Kohler data plate on the engine.

BTW....how do I attach a picture? I am not having any luck. The pics I have are bigger than 56 KB but I may be able to crop them down a little to reduce the size??

Thanks!

TT

Remote photo hosting works best here. (directly-attached images actually slow the forum down)

I personally use Photobucket, but there are several other sites that you can use.

Anyhow......... looks like your tractor has been repowered with an engine from another (1973-ish) Wheel Horse - which would explain the battery ignition.

strausbo

Thanks for all of your help TT !!

strausbo

Here's a pic (I hope):

wh_tract1-1.jpg

Duff

Nice machine!

Duff :thumbs: :)

stevasaurus

That is one nice looking horse. :thumbs:

btrrg1969

That is one nice looking horse. :)

I agree :thumbs:

Coadster32

I agree

Me too! :thumbs:

strausbo

Question for TT:

I was just checking the Kohler site and my engine serial # 7201246 looks to equate to a 1975 vintage? What reference do you use for deciphering the spec number and serial number on these old k-series engines? It also noted that the OEM use for this particular engine was NORCAR. Have you ever heard of NORCAR and what is it? Thanks again!

TT

Yep - you're right about 1975. I use the Kohler service manual (TP-2379) to find the year of manufacture on engines built after 1965. Because it has battery ignition, I knew it had to be 1973 or newer being a WH engine. It was my fault that I didn't look it up to see the exact year.

If you go to the Toro MPV: LINK and enter K301S-47421D in the 6th box down (marked "Engine/Motor Model") it will give you a list of which model(s) that used that particular engine.

AS for the "NORCAR" reference...... I have no clue. Must either be bad record keeping, or a typo. If I get a chance. I'll check the blower housing from the '77 C-120 engine I have and see what numbers are on the tag. :thumbs:

Don1977

My 77 C-120 Kohler Model # 47421d Serial No. 7471400.

WheelHorseSteve

Has anyone tried the PointSaver (w/ Kohler points) or PointSlayer product? I need new points on both machines... was going to try one of these. Anyone?

illinilefttackle

Has anyone tried the PointSaver (w/ Kohler points) or PointSlayer product? I need new points on both machines... was going to try one of these. Anyone?

I have had the point saver on my K-301AS on my C-125 for years-It works flawlessly-no change in point gap-timing since I installed it.

Here are a few pics-

pointsaver003-1.jpg

pointsaverinstalled003.jpg

pointsaverinstalled002.jpg

plow08019.jpg

The small chrome box with the led light gives you indication everything is working correctly-if the unit fails-you simply

hookback up the condensor to the coil and you are off again-it seemed pretty neat when I read about it-very satisfied-Al

JC 1965

I have been using the point saver on a K301 Kohler for several years, It makes setting the timing so easy and with the point saver you get the timing set dead on. I have checked the timing a couple of times to see if it changed and it is still dead on. My engine starts faster and runs better. I would recommend it and David Kirk is very honest and easy to deal with. I have purchased several items from him. The point saver comes with easy to understand instructions and is very easy to install. Hope this helps. :thumbs2:

WheelHorseSteve

Very, very helpful advice! I was leaning towards the PointsSaver product that you both have... I will go with that one! From reading up on it, it seems like a logical upgrade for anyone using points. :twocents-mytwocents: