Sign in to follow this  
gamaemry305

WH 1045 eating up belts to RM-425 mower deck

gamaemry305

Hello, I picked up a WH 1045 garden tractor with a RM-425 mower deck last month. So far I keep eating up belts to the mower deck. The deck seems to be in good shape and mows great until the belt starts to slip. Anyone have any suggestions?

kj4kicks

My best guess is that one of the spindles, or pulleys, is getting tight when it gets some heat in it.

Two choices, start replacing all the moving parts, or next time it eats a belt, spin everything by hand until you find the problem.

nylyon

I don't know very much about the deck setup on the older models. What kin of belt are you using? Are the pulleys clean and free from rust?

Welcome to RedSquare glad you found us.

:whistle:

TT

The RM-425 is the one with the strangely-routed, extremely long belt.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1144

I'd go with Eldon's hunch and check all of the idler pullies and blade spindles for questionable bearings.

These decks (the belt routing arrangement) are a nightmare, and any extra care you can give it will benefit you greatly.

Glad to hear you're working your old Horse too. That's what they LOVE to do! :whistle:

gamaemry305

Thanks to Eldon, Karl, and Terry for their replies. I'll be checking into all the moving parts this weekend after I cut some grass to make sure all are moving freely. Last weekend I took apart the PTO to make sure it was moving freely. If anyone has an expanded view of this area I would like to see it. I'm not sure the previous owner had it assembled correctly. Thanks again for all the quick replies.

gamaemry305

RM-425 mower deck update...

Beautiful weekend in NC.

Cut some grass then pulled the deck off the tractor and went over every moving part. Adjusted and cleaned the slider bar on deck to insure pulley movement. All spindles, pulleys, and belts still seem to move freely. Greased all spindles. Adjusted deck level. And finally looked over the Pedal PTO again.

Does anyone know why there are two holes in the link between the PTO pedal and the idler pulley?

I'm now wondering...

If I have the wrong belt size. Although the one I'm using will barely fit over the pulleys.

If the linkage to the PTO is wrong. Or its in the wrong hole on the linkage. Not allowing the belt to achieve its proper tension.

And on another note, what is the proper drive belt size?

Thank you ahead of time for your replies,

Gary

TT

Is the belt from the engine down to the deck the one you've been having problems with?

That one is probably 28" long X 1/2" wide. (P/N 1577)

gamaemry305

Terry,

Thanks for the reply. I believe I have the right belt on the PTO to the mower deck. From what I can tell its 28x1/2 inch. What seems to happen is that when the PTO is engaged the link to the idler pulley comes in contact with the foot support rod limiting its movement to that point. So that is why I keep thinking the idler pulley is in the wrong hole in the linkage piece. I've taken some pictures and included a link. I hope it opens. I have not quite figured out how to attach pictures to this forum.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gamaemry305/11...key=JeNuz8mRGjw

TT

Gary - you can try moving the link to the other hole, but from what I can see in the photos, everything looks correct. (I'll have check one of mine tomorrow and see how they are assembled, but I think the front hole is the one that's used.)

That is a very good looking 1045, by the way. :whistle:

WheelHorse_of_course

Are you using a hardware store fractional horsepower belt or a proper OPE belt?

Any oil dripping on the belt?

gamaemry305

OK,

In my persuit of trying to figure out the reason for excessive belt ware I have run accross several service bulletins for the rotary deck RM-425 on www.wheelhorse.com . It seems that this is not only my problem but one that Wheel Horse produced several fixes for. On my WH 1045 I have a double pulley on the engine and the mower . But, only a single on the PTO idler. The Wheel Horse fix was to put a double pulley on the PTO idler thus adding another belt to the PTO. In the years or so that I have been on this forum I can not remember ever seeing a double PTO idle pulley on any of the 60's tractors. Can anyone add any insight to this fix (kit 6058) and if anyone has or would be interested in selling one?

Thank you, Gary

DSCN3618.jpg

DSCN3617.jpg

KB9LOR

I might be wrong, In your last picture it looks like your main pulley on the engine is in too far by the pic it looks to be out too far or the pulley below it is out too far can the pulley on the engine shaft or lower pulley be adjusted? I am by no means a expert, but it does look out of adjustment.

qd-16

I bought a 1057 last summer that had a rm-425 deck on it. The deck was rusted and I decided to convert/upgrade to a newer deck. Anyways, here are some pics. of that deck with the idler pulley laying on top.

This DID have double pto belts on it. I have no idea if this is the correct idler pulley but it's what was on the 1057 when I got it. I can understand why this deck was only used for one year by wheel horse!!

I still have the deck and idler if you need better pics. If this is the correct idler you are looking for, let me know because I have no plans to use it in the future.

rm425deck002.jpg

rm425deck001.jpg

gamaemry305

KB9 LOR and Qd-16 Thank you so much for the replies.

KB9 LOR sharp eye on the alignment. I had also seen that last Fall and adjusted the engine pulley outward to match the mowers and idle pulley. But I'm sure it helped, I'm still eatting up belts.

QD-16 That double pulley looks good but according to the last picture in the doc. below there seems to be a little more involved part wise then what you are showing. So far your my best hope so don't get rid of it yet.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...1965_RM-425.pdf :thumbs: