Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

mule drive

BairleaFarm

Anyone happen to know what tractors have interchangeable mule drives? or are they model specific?

T-Mo

David,

I do believe that WH use various parts on different tractors. I'm just not sure which models shared what. What tractor is this for?

TT

I'm guessing you're talking about the front idler assembly / tensioner for the mower deck drive belt? (WHY do people call this a "mule drive"???? :whistle::WRS: )

Your 1973 8 4 speed would use P/N 101657, which has been used from the 70's to 2007 on almost every mower deck on the horizontal-shaft tractor -- with the exception of two. (That I can think of.) The 60" deck on the 520 models normally used a spring-loaded tensioner and offset pullies, and the two blade 37" SD decks had two "V" idlers instead of one "V" and one flat. (they used a 6 sided belt because of the strange way it was routed - the belt went from the PTO pulley at the engine, throught the front idler ass'y, "inside" two stationary "V" idlers mounted to the deck, and around both spindle pullies.) The idler / tensioner for the 37" deck can be used if the "outside" pulley is changed to a flat idler.

WheelHorse_of_course

I believe B, C and classic series post 1974 are all mostly the same (fit in the front tachamatic).

The 60" deck has a different drive as I recall (search around there was a thread on this here).

Rolf

nylyon

The mule drive came with the mower deck, not the tractor. There was a lot of discussion a while back on this, here. Mule drive help Hope that helps

Sparky

Terry.

So if its called a front idler assembly/tensioner then what is a mule drive? I've allways heard it called a mule drive.

Mike.......

TT

Terry.

So if its called a front idler assembly/tensioner then what is a mule drive? I've allways heard it called a mule drive.

Mike.......

A mule drive is when a bunch of fellows get together to move a pack of mules to another location. :whistle:

Seriously though....

A mule drive is actually more of a "relay pulley" arrangement where a common multi-groove pulley is used to transfer power (through a belt) from the source (motor, engine, waterwheel, etc.) through a second belt to the driven object. (transmission, mower deck, grindstone, etc.)

If you're bored or like to read, follow this LINK.

The front idler assembly / tensioner only guides the belt to a different angle and also tensions it. Since there is only one belt passing over it, it can't technically be a mule drive. The triple groove pulley arrangement on the old two-blade gear-driven decks is actually a "true" mule drive, because the drive belt and driven belt(s) are connected through a common pulley.

I also feel more comfortable knowing the only related association to a Jack Ass on any of my tractors is ME. :WRS:

wse100

seriously wheel horse should have called this a "Horse Drive" --Just a thought, Or as tt syas it really shouldn't even be a true "horse drive"? :whistle: :WRS:

BairleaFarm

thanks guys. I figured there were a bunch of interchangeable years but didnt know for sure.

Nick

I believe about any pulley system used to change the direction of a belt can be called a mule drive. There are also single belt mule drives. If you search for "single belt" in the multiple belt patent link it makes mention of other single belt systems.

Multiple Belt mule drive patent

TT

I don't agree with the term only because there is no "driving" associated with the tensioner on the front of a Wheel Horse. It's just a pair of idler (or guide) pullies used to reroute the belt in a different direction and adjust the tension of them simultaneously.

Toro / Wheel Horse calls it a front idler assembly and I call it a deck drive belt tensioner. I guess I'm outnumbered. :whistle:

Nick

I did some looking and think I found the definition that explains why they call it a Mule drive. The definition of a Mule pulley is an idler pulley used for guiding a belt that runs between shafts that are not parallel.

Next we might start talking spindles. I say spindle for a mower deck part and a front axle parts. But I guess they can also be called Quills. :whistle: :WRS:

TT

Next we might start talking spindles. I say spindle for a mower deck part and a front axle parts. But I guess they can also be called Quills. :whistle::D

They're all spindles to me too. (quills are on a porcupine. :D:WRS: )

BairleaFarm

But I guess they can also be called Quills.
:whistle:

Anyhoo. I call it a mule drive because thats what i was told it was... and the term works when searching for one. :WRS:

Curmudgeon

Call me simplistic, but Wheel Horse calls it an idler assembly. That's good enough for me. Anything else would just be a bastardization of the correct name.

So I gotta go with TT on this one.....

Sorry TT.