Sign in to follow this  
jpmcleod

Electrical mproblem

jpmcleod

I hope Save-old-Iron reads this and responds.

I have another brand of tractor and it has a B&S starter/generator set-up on it. Today my son and I took the wiring harness off an identical tractor and wired the tractor.

The B&S haas the "trigger" coil set-up behind the flywheel. I guess we may have connected the wrong wire from the coil to the points as white smoke began comming from under the sheet metal, an indication it was from the trigger coil.

I was looking at another post with wiring problems and the bresponse fro Save -old Iron shows a external coil set-up.

Save-old Iron if you read this, will the wiring diagram set-up with the starter silinoid aand external coil work on my engine. If not, I will have to pull the driveshaft and engine to get the flywheel off.

I have been told by an old timer that all I have to do is get an external coil (as the points are external) and change it over. I believe the first diagram in your response is what I need to do but I want your opinion.

Save-Old Iron, I had your e-mail address but my computer crashed several months ago and I lost it.

Please respond to me at jerry.pugh5170@yahoo.com. I sure would like to convert mine to wxternal coil as the tractor is great and the motor ran fine.

Thanks.

Kelly

Yes you can put a kohler style coil on your simplicity, I've done it a few times, because of bad mag coils, you will have to change the ign. switch, I'm not the best at telling people how to wire things so I will leave that up to someone else.

Save Old Iron

searchlightsoi3.jpg

Good to hear from you again.

Private sessions are always available at the "University"

email me at

soi_university@frontier.com

Save Old Iron

2 wires are usually present on a charge coil - one is a connection to the solid state ignition module and brings in 100+ volts to charge the capacitive discharge circuits of the ignition module.

second wire will act as a ground on the charge coil - same function as the kill wire of a magneto and usually is connected to the wiring connector containing the stator output wires.

Neither one should EVER be connected to +12 volts on the tractor. To produce high voltage / low current needed to run the solid state ignition, the wiring of the charge coil is very fine gauge 24 - 28 AWG allowing hundreds of turns of wire on the coil.

many turns = higher voltages

small wire gauge = low current

very much the opposite of battery charge stators

jpmcleod

Chuck. The B&S numbers are as follows.

Model 326434

Type 134-01

Code 7208171

Thanks for all your help. Happy Thanksgiving.

Save Old Iron

Thanks Jerry - that will give me a good idea of what configuration you actually have on the engine.