Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

Kohler K181....oil on top of piston-pictures-

Giles

Just stumbled on this thread---What progress have you made?

hoppy

as of right now the motor is out and sitting on the bench waiting to be dropped at a machine shop for repair. In the meantime i took advantage of having the sheetmetsl off and have been working on repainting what i can. i glass beadblasted all sheetmetal, primed and painted in Valspar IH red. going to atliest look like a new motor when she is done. my intententions are to get the broken bolt/tap removed and have it redrilled. throw a new head gasket in her and button it back up. i will take some pictures of the engine repaint when its done.

Giles

as of right now the motor is out and sitting on the bench waiting to be dropped at a machine shop for repair. In the meantime i took advantage of having the sheetmetsl off and have been working on repainting what i can. i glass beadblasted all sheetmetal, primed and painted in Valspar IH red. going to atliest look like a new motor when she is done. my intententions are to get the broken bolt/tap removed and have it redrilled. throw a new head gasket in her and button it back up. i will take some pictures of the engine repaint when its done.

You have been given a lot of good advise but I would like to give my advise.

I am a Tool&Die Maker and I have removed many, many broken bolts and studs and rebuilt many engines.

The approach I would take about removing the stud is to weld a thick Flat washer to the stud and then weld a nut to the washer. Weld the nut on the outside flats to the washer. Let the weld cool completely and gently work back and fourth in small amounts until it is removed.

If this fails then the stud will have to be drilled out.

As far as a rebuild, consider that you can buy a huge amount of oil for what a rebuild cost :banghead:

Use a new gasket and make sure head and block surface is completely smoothe and flat. I might add that a tap should be run through all head bolt threads and a very light coating of oil should be applied to bolt threads.

I say light coating because a large amount will sometime cause false readings when torqueing bolts. New bolts need no oil.

hoppy

all the other bolts that were not broken have never seize on them. so somebody has been into this engine before me. atliest they new what to do to prevent another bolt from getting stuck and snapping. i will try that washer and nutr method before i drag it to a shop. thanks for the advise!