Lost Pup

Mid Mount Idler Pulley Setup For Tiller Pic Heavy

Lost Pup

I built a pulley setup for my new tiller.

The two pulleys, spring and belt used are the Toro or equivalent. The shaft is 3/4 plain steel which I threaded the end. A few bushings and spacers to line it up the pulleys.

The black 3/4 stop collar just lines up the belt as I just slide the shaft in from the drivers side. Tension seem to keep it there in use so I did not add not to the other side.

The spring just slides over the stub as the setup is slid in. The eye bolt is left on the tractor and can be turned to adjust tension on the belt. I guessed on the spacing on the pulleys and it works well. Pics for those who build one.

The tiller is setup on a 417-8 in the pics.

Comments Welcome

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

• Like 6

Operator

Very nice job you did!! All you need is paint and it would be factory.

Randy

Lost Pup

Very nice job you did!! All you need is paint and it would be factory.

Randy

Thanks

Just trying to fix all the little things before I paint.

racinfool40

:thumbs: Looks great Thanks for sharing!!!

jusjeepn

Looks like a pretty good fab job there. One question, does the shaft kinda move around in your attach-a-matic? If you look closely at the locking arm on your attach-a-matic I believe you'll find it is slightly larger than 3/4", allowing your tensioner to "float" a little. You can look a your mowing deck and see the factor collar that W/H installed just for this purpose. The oversized collar help to position the implement in the attach-a-matic as well as keep it snug against the bracket! Nice work! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Lost Pup

Looks like a pretty good fab job there. One question, does the shaft kinda move around in your attach-a-matic? If you look closely at the locking arm on your attach-a-matic I believe you'll find it is slightly larger than 3/4", allowing your tensioner to "float" a little. You can look a your mowing deck and see the factor collar that W/H installed just for this purpose. The oversized collar help to position the implement in the attach-a-matic as well as keep it snug against the bracket! Nice work! :thumbs:

Yes, the entire shaft rotates against the belt tension spring. I tried the shaft inially without any collars at all and was amazed to find that under tension and in full tiller use the shaft pivots just fine and never wanders in position side to side at all. I guess the belt and pulleys keep it aligned with the PTO above.

Olratlr

Great job! Thanks for the pictures. :thumbs:

fng7143

Awesome, just what I've been looking for thanks a ton!! :dunno:

• Like 1

jetmandan

Thanks for your pics and measurements, here's some pics of the bracket I fabbed using your ideas.

post-11319-0-35914100-1428880223_thumb.j

post-11319-0-97601100-1428880240_thumb.j

post-11319-0-83087400-1428880257_thumb.j

Spring is just what I found in my shop, won't know if it's correct length or not until 141 x 1/2" belt arrives.

I also did my own posting here, 

Dan

• Like 3

Horse Newbie

Thanks a lot horse fans! This very thing is why I joined. I bought a 94' 520 H with a mid mount deck( in good shape ), tiller, and a leaf vacuum trailer for $150. Just a few parts missing. Took her home, fresh gas, and she fired right up. Made me feel great seeing the pics and description. Thanks a lot.

Duramax7man7

So this is the actual part needed for the Tiller Setup? Thanks!

Questions...
1. I don't have a threading machine. Could I drill a small hole about 1/8" deep in the side of 3/4" round bar an inch (or whatever measurement is needed) and use a lock collar to hold the pulley in place?

2. Also can these pulley's be purchased at TSC or maybe McMasters?

3. What size flat stock is that? 1/4" x 1/5" or 5/16 x 1.5"?

4. Finally, what is the appropriate belt length?

TIA

Edited by Mastiffman

chris sutton

This is all very helpful as I have to make one for my tiller, ( see latest purchase in this section ) I should be able to copy yours

• Like 1

Lost Pup
On 2/3/2017 at 2:47 PM, Mastiffman said:

Questions...
1. I don't have a threading machine. Could I drill a small hole about 1/8" deep in the side of 3/4" round bar an inch (or whatever measurement is needed) and use a lock collar to hold the pulley in place?

Sure.

2. Also can these pulley's be purchased at TSC or maybe McMasters?

I used the OEM Toro Tiller pulleys, belt and spring. Possible to crossmatch pulleys and such.

3. What size flat stock is that? 1/4" x 1/5" or 5/16 x 1.5"?

1/4 bar stock.

4. Finally, what is the appropriate belt length?

I used stock Toro Tiller belt. Do not know the length.

Edited by Lost Pup
  • Like 1