Sign in to follow this  
wse100

Can it lift it?

wse100

Well as you know i'm new to wheel horse, But i just love this little tractor. I need my garden tilled, and wasn't sure if it had the power to pull a brinly style plow...

I have an old front tine tiller, and everyone know thay beat you to death (and don't really do a great job!) So I fabed a bracket to pull it behind my horse.

Wheelhorse002.jpg

I know it looks like a hillbilly rig, and the welds are sloppy, but I had the plate laying here and had to try.

Wheelhorse003.jpg

My question is do you think My clevis can lift this?

I know the answer, as I had to try...Just interested in your thoughts.

kpinnc

I've found my clevis hitch will handle anything I hang back there, right up to the point where the front tires come off the ground. I'll say as long as your front wheels stay down (especially with an aluminum block Work Horse), you'll be fine. :whistle:

But, unless that tiller has reverse on the tines, I would try and mount it the other way. Wheel Horse tillers (as well as most other tractor/tiller combos) turn the tines in the same direction as the rotation of the wheels. You could definately get that tractor stuck pulling the tiller backward, particulary on a second pass over the same spot.

Just my $.02 :WRS:

Pretty neat idea you have there, can't say I haven't considered it myself.

Kevin

wse100

Actually my goal was to pull it in reverse, while the tines are spinning forward. When i used to do it by hand I found that if i pulled it back while the tines were still spinning forward, it would just chew up the ground!

Lets see what the others think.

BairleaFarm

Looks good, not a bad idea. Be sure to take pictures

Stigian

I like your thinking sir :whistle:

It will be interesting to see how well it works.

Keep us updated and dont forget the "in action" pic's :WRS:

wse100

ok, Ok Time for the truth.

You wheelhorse pro's already know that the clevis can lift it, the question really becomes can I lift it. It is heavy, but I can.

I probably should have washed the tiller tines before taking the pic. they are dirty cause i already tried it out.

It works AWSOME. I could not have asked for it to do better. I left the wheels on the tiller and the help me set the depth, and also keep me from burrying the tiller.

I know i probably should have taken the handle off, but i let many of my neighbors and friends use this little tiller, so I didn't want to stop letting them use it :whistle:

I will take some action pics to show you guys how it works.

illinilefttackle

WSE100- Great fabwork on the hitch and everything else! You did what I do-you know what you want to do-and just figure out a way. I'm glad you can use the tiller-when your done the ground is ready for your garden-but with a plow you still have to disk, etc. Good Job!-AL :whistle:

92Pony

LOL!! I LOVE it! :whistle:

Wade

CasualObserver

First, congrats on making it work, as is. But you asked for opinions... so.....

You can eliminate all concerns about whether or not you can lift it if you turn it around... basically what you've made is a backwards self powered tiller. Look in the Tillage folder in the implements gallery at WT-242 and WT-244. I fear your tiller's gear box won't last long being used backwards. Yes, everyone yanks them backwards and "re-chews" some spots when you use them, but tillers are designed to strike down at the ground, not to flip it up. Think about it like using a mower blade upside down. Yes, it works, but the results are not what they could be. However, if you were to turn it around and fab the lift to work like the old WT models... you'll simply raise and lower the tines, pivoting on the axle with the wheels. Use your same lift arm extention idea, just attach it to a higher point on the front of the tiller. Your depth control then becomes however low you allow your hitch to go. Let's add a little safety to this as well... when the tiller tines strike down on something they cannot cut, (rocks.roots, wires :whistle: ) then more often than not, the tiller will then just "walk" over the top of the object. If you're flipping up from the bottom, and you get into a big buried rock or root... you'll chance ripping apart or bending something on the tractor or tiller (if not breaking the gearbox), or you also chance throwing any object at your back. Just some humble opinions.

wse100

You can eliminate all concerns about whether or not you can lift it if you turn it around... basically what you've made is a backwards self powered tiller. Look in the Tillage folder in the implements gallery at WT-242 and WT-244. I fear your tiller's gear box won't last long being used backwards. Yes, everyone yanks them backwards and "re-chews" some spots when you use them, but tillers are designed to strike down at the ground, not to flip it up. Think about it like using a mower blade upside down. Yes, it works, but the results are not what they could be. However, if you were to turn it around and fab the lift to work like the old WT models... you'll simply raise and lower the tines, pivoting on the axle with the wheels. Use your same lift arm extention idea, just attach it to a higher point on the front of the tiller. Your depth control then becomes however low you allow your hitch to go. Let's add a little safety to this as well... when the tiller tines strike down on something they cannot cut, (rocks.roots, wires huh.gif ) then more often than not, the tiller will then just "walk" over the top of the object. If you're flipping up from the bottom, and you get into a big buried rock or root... you'll chance ripping apart or bending something on the tractor or tiller (if not breaking the gearbox), or you also chance throwing any object at your back. Just some humble opinions.

How could I make mine pull it forward? Maybe weld a small bracket on the front Kinda high, so it will pivot on the wheels (Fulcrum) and use the wheel to take up excess weight when taxiing around. Then when I lower the arm it just rocks forward? I think I would need another pivot in there(Maybeon the lift arm) so that It keeps the proper orientation.

Ideas would be great.

Thanks

CasualObserver

Yes, you would need a pivot and a swivel point at the tiller end of the lift arm. I'll try to get a picture in the next couple days of what the lift arm itself looks like. My WT-244 is the one pictured in the gallery. it's not supposed to have that type hitch on the front, it's suppose to just have a fixed pin hanging down underneath the front. Mine has that pin also, but someone cobbled it up to work with an ATV, and there's a bunch of weld built up around the pin that I'll have to get rid of to make it work right. Mine does work fine with the engineered hitch that's on it though. I know that sounds confusing, I'll get closer up pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

CasualObserver

Well, it's been a couple days, but I finally had a chance to take some pics of that lift arm for the tiller. As I said before, mine has been modified by a PO. The original little pin that the block with the hole in it should fit on is still there, just cluttered up by some welding. the tiller still works just like it is, in fact, this is probably closer to a setup that you might want to use on the front of yours. Look over the pics and see what you think! Hope it helps. :whistle:

tillerliftarm1.jpg

tillerliftarm2.jpg

tillerliftarm4.jpg

tillerliftarm5.jpg

tillerliftarm6.jpg

tillerliftarm7.jpg

wse100

Well it looks like I am gonna have to modify it so that the tiller pivots & rides on the wheels. After lifting it up and down several times I bent the lift lever :D:WRS:

I couldn't get The button pushed in to release the lift lock, and when I looked at it i noticed i had bent it. I gently bent it back and it works great :whistle:

But I will seriously need to re fab my lift linkage to the tiller.

Thanks for your photo's.

Charles

CasualObserver

Bummer on the lift arm there Charles, if I can help you out with any more photos, let me know.