Sign in to follow this  
mavfreak

All I did was change the steering wheel!

puddlejumper

Well I guess I am out of suggestions other than put it back together without output pulley hit the key and hope for the best :thumbs:

mavfreak

This how it acts,

Have you ever had someone bring you a car that didn't start and backfires. You open the hood and grab the distributor and its lose. You turn while they crank and all of a sudden it starts and runs. Or on a timing belt car and the timing belt jumped one tooth. its all it takes sometimes to make an engine not run. One tooth.

mavfreak

I'm half tempted to do that. but there is a few things I want to check first. I may pull the cover and look at the cam and check the timing gears. Or put back together and hit the key and see what happens :thumbs:

puddlejumper

Maybe there is somebody here that can tell you how to check timing using the position off the crankshaft keyway,valves,and piston position or some combination of above.That way you wont have to bust the crankcase.I beleve I would put it back together and tryit before busting crankcase,unless somebody can tell you how to check it using above information. :thumbs:

mavfreak

umm that would be nice

B-8074

Did you pull the fuel bowl off the carb to see if anything was in it? And I have a Briggs service book, I'll go out to the garage and get it. Be right back.

mavfreak

yes I did and there is fuel in there but not much with the lack of vacuum it would be assumed that the fuel pump would be struggling to pull fuel into bowl. I did squirt fuel into carb and it would backfire are catch fire.

B-8074

I found the book. What is the model, type, and code of your motor?

mavfreak

sorry ot some sick lttle ones here

model 401417

type 0130 01

code 78032212

B-8074

The only way I see to check the timming is to open her up and check the timming marks on the cam and crank. I hope I'm wrong but I went through the whole book.

mavfreak

I was figuring that would be the case. I will try that tomorrow.

Thanks alot for checking into that :thumbs:

mavfreak

well I think I found the problem. I pulled the engine and was getting ready to take completely apart when I happened to notice the intake valve on the one side didn't look seated I turned the crank and it opened to show a small piece of carbon smashed in between the seat a valve. It is so small that its almost unnoticeable until you look at just the right angle and light but its just enough to hold it open just enough. so I now know what is up. I'll be getting a book soon and pulling that valve to check the seat and valve and go from there.

On a side note these engine are expensive to rebuild. One reason I guess is the two cylinder's.

The parts I need for this rebuild is around $400 just in the parts I need.

It may be some time before I do this

B-8074

How is it going? Make any more headway?

mavfreak

with Christmas coming have to set aside for another day. I have put it all back together so not to forget how it fits and will wait till after holidays

Coadster32

The parts I need for this rebuild is around $400

I understand that to be alot of money also, but....

Not really sure why you need so much. The motor was running great before this happened. Doing the valves is pretty much free. Not sure if you need an entire gasket set or not, but that should be under $100. If you reassemble without the pto, AKA blown bearing, you're back up and running. I'd just hate to see a project sit like this. Alot of times, we never mean for it to happen, and end up not getting back to them. Certainly when it's fresh in the mind, a better job is done, and less procrastination happends. I'd encourage you to get-r-done. :thumbs: Easy to say, but it's just my $.02

mavfreak

I agree. the wife and I are unemployed at the moment and unemployement isn't really paying the bills.

The engine is disasmeble to the point that I might as well rebuild the rest of the way. And even if I didn't then i still woun't be able to use the tractor because the bearing on that is bad is on the drive pully and needs to be there so not to destroy the engine.

I was thinking if I buy some things over time and do a little here and there then I should be ok. Like I can buy rings then wait a while and get a few gaskets before I know it its done

Plus i have this big red pain in the ass sitting in the middle of the garage taken up space. It'll either get fixed or get going down the road.

mavfreak

Today I spent the day working on the putting the engine back together.

first off I pulled the valve and checked it out to make sure it was bent and that the carbon that held it open didn't mark the valve or the seat. Everything checked out good there.

so I decided to put everything back together so I could push it aside for another day. Well on a whim I decided to buton everything up to spec and put back on tractor.

Now on anther whim I decided to see if it would crank. Well it did more than crank it fired up! (Scared the crap out of me and man these briggs twins are laud with no muffler :) ) Upon this happening change my out look on this. Because of the fact that I had it all opened up and check out basically all I could, bore, bearings and etc. I feel a gasket set is in order and a assembly of the engine should be it for the engine. thanks Coadster32 for planting that seed and getting me to thinking :thumbs:

The bearing and the thrust washer will be an expense But I'm going to see what I can find and try to get it back together as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone for your help and advise

Coadster32

Kick butt!! :thumbs: Glad to hear it. Not so bad now that's it's sitting there in working order waiting for a bearing. Great job. Glad you didn't give up on her. :)

WH854

:) :wh: Now doesn't that make you feel better. Don't give up the ship :thumbs:

Chas :)

mavfreak

I never thought of pictures for everyone. sorry

Coadster32

I never thought of pictures for everyone. sorry

never too late. :thumbs:

mavfreak

Ok guys some pictures. Sorrey I got excited when i picked up the gasket set and just jumped into putting it together and forgot pictures.

So i snaped some while i was putting engine back in.

1290175064.jpg

1290175043.jpg

1290175017.jpg

1290174993.jpg

Hopefully the beariing will be in today so I can put it back toghter and be ready for snow. if not then i'll be swiching the plow set up to the commando.

WheelHorse_of_course

Best of luck

:) :thumbs:

mavfreak

I did a track on the bearing it should be on my doorstep today. And yes every time my neighbors dog barks and our dog barks I run to the door.

mavfreak

bearing just showed!