Sign in to follow this  
mavfreak

All I did was change the steering wheel!

mavfreak

well I found two hardened bolts (grade 8s were bending and breaking) put pressure on with a harmonic balance puller and beat the ever loving crap out of it with a five pound hamer till it popped off. The bearing on the output shaft was attached to the pulley and shaft. And to me it really looks out of place.

mavfreak

I went to briggs web sight and looked at parts diagram and there is no bearing located were the bearing in question is. Did wheel horse put a bearing in the pulley and if so for what reason it really wouldn't do anything there?

mavfreak

does anyone know if the camshaft gear is a fiber gear, or a pot metal. I wonder if that jumped time. One tooth would be alot

mavfreak

yes that ansered alot. Thanks chas! Now I need to start a price list and see what the damage to the wallet will be

WH854

Heath This is what I found on Torro Website

106499 - BEARING-BALL

$ 77.81

Item discontinued. Please contact your local participating ShopToro.com dealer for possible options.

106498 - THRUST WASHER

$ 54.52

Chas

mavfreak

wow! that hurts might be able to find bearing cheaper but the washer will have to be toro

Coadster32

Bigger hammer does the trick! :)

If you have the dimensional sizes of the bearing, you can try McMaster Carr or Kaman. That's where I get my bearings from. You might be able to get the thrust washer there as well. Normally bearings are 1/2 price that of toro. Good luck. :thumbs:

B-8074

Hey Mavfreak. What are you in need of for the pto. I have a few extra pto's.

mavfreak

If you could please get those dimesions so I can see what I can come up with, there is a bearings INC near me

WH854

Hey Heath where is Bearings INC located now days :thumbs: use to be in Butler on Hansen Ave

Chas

mavfreak

lol I'm used to calling it bearing INC, its called aplied tecnolages and its in the same place just changed names.

mavfreak

Hey Mavfreak. What are you in need of for the pto. I have a few extra pto's.

The bearing in the pulley next to the engine exploded.

B-8074

Oh, I've never seen a bearing in the drive pully before.

mavfreak

it desn't look right but i found it on the toro sight

TT

It's a thrust bearing (installed by WH) to help relieve the pressure against the flywheel-side main bearing when the PTO is engaged.

It's only needed with the plain-bearing engines with manual (not electric) PTO clutches and must also be preloaded when assembling.

mavfreak

terry does it fit half on the crankshaft and half on the pulley?

I just went out and looked I do believe the pulley is worn out also.

This may be a dumb question ( I know there are no dumb questions only dumb people) but if this is to relieve the pressure on the flywheel side and it failed could it in theory cause the running problem that got me to this point

mavfreak

wow chas your really coming through for me here. I'm going to owe you a beer or something by the time this is all over! :thumbs:

puddlejumper

Is the crank main bearing wore out also? Still trying to understsnd what went wrong with engine. I guess if main bearing was bad it could allow enough play in crank to jump time. But the problem should have showed uo much earlier due to a severly leaky oil seal. Any how If I am understanding everything I believe I would focus on the engine before worring about pto pulley :thumbs:

WH854

puddlejumper Posted on Just 3 minutes ago

Is the crank main bearing wore out also? Still trying to understsnd what went wrong with engine. I guess if main bearing was bad it could allow enough play in crank to jump time. But the problem should have showed uo much earlier due to a severly leaky oil seal. Any how If I am understanding everything I believe I would focus on the engine before worring about pto pulley

Thats what I would do to :thumbs: If engine won't run the bearing is useless in my estimation :)

Chas

mavfreak

main bearing is ok engine overall seams very sound even some cross hatch left in cylinders. Doesn't even leak oil. I really haven't found anything that looks bad except for this thrust bearing. I am not convinced that caused the problem I had or not but I do need to investigate a little further

also I am trying to compile a parts needed list as I go to see what kinda cost I'm running into. If it gets to high then this thing is gone. which is getting real close now.

puddlejumper

Reread your original post and maybe we should go back ti beginning and check for loose electrical connections around the dash where you were battling with steering wheel. Not that you have a completely broken connection. But a( HIT AND MISS CONNECTION) like you said.

Or a small piece of sreering wheel shorting between some terminals.

mavfreak

yes I was already there. frist thing I thought of. Cause yes the dash did take a beating. Everything looks good. the engine cranks it gets spark gets gas but it won't start it backfires through the carb and then keeps on cranking. it acts like its out of time. not like there is an electical problem

mavfreak

maybe a vavle was stuck but from trying to get the flywheel off it worked free. Don't know