dclarke

857 rebuild

dclarke

Been awful quiet lately Denny. Are you on holiday??

I finally got back to work on this Mike, Taking the engine apart now to take to the machine shop. I should have pics as I go. Anybody know the number of the belt for the generator? I can't seem to find it listed anywhere.

TT

Anybody know the number of the belt for the generator? I can't seem to find it listed anywhere.

Kohler 231605-S (Gates 7315) :thumbs2:

dclarke

Anybody know the number of the belt for the generator? I can't seem to find it listed anywhere.

Kohler 231605-S (Gates 7315) :thumbs2:

. Thanks Terry!

rustynut

looks great so far :bow-blue:

dclarke

This is the n.o.s. deck shell I got from Scott, (whfan74) I had it blasted then installed all new bearings, seals and put a new set of blades on it. A new set of belts and it should be ready to go.

013-1.jpg

012-3.jpg

• Like 2

Martin

hey denny, looks REALLY, REALLY nice..........

just went back and looked over your build. cant wait to see it all together........

AMC RULES

If that deck is any indication of what your finished 857 resto is going to look like? :scratchead:

All I can say is You're Da Man Denny! :bow-blue:

You're definitely paying attention to all the details buddy. :thumbs:

TT

A new set of belts and it should be ready to go.

You should have done that before you put it all together. :omg:

Now how are you gonna get the new belts on there without scratching that fancy paint? :scratchead: :ychain:

dclarke

A new set of belts and it should be ready to go.

You should have done that before you put it all together. :omg:

Now how are you gonna get the new belts on there without scratching that fancy paint? :scratchead::ychain:

One step forward and two steps back, that's how I roll Terry. :banghead:

Trouty56

Wow Denny...that is sharp!! I have to really hand it to you...nice job!!!

dclarke

Why I'm waiting on the machine shop to check my block and crank I welded up some sheet metal and welded some steel bushings into the hood hinge bracket. My belt guard was junk so I cut the brackets off and put them on a guard I had laying around. The brace under the fender pan broke so I reenforced it with angle iron and patched in a piece that had worn away from riding on the belt guard then welded up a few cracks behind the seat. now I need to get the welds ground down and get these parts blasted.

058.jpg

059.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

063.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

looking good! :handgestures-thumbup:

wingrider

Hey Denny nice work on the sheet metal, its amazing how problems can be corrected with a lot of thought and work.

Good Luck with the rest of your project.

Wingrider

dclarke

Well I picked up my engine parts from the machine shop last week, looks like it's not worth messing with. The block's been bored .020 and needs bored again, the crank's been turned and needs turned again and the cam's not in very good shape. I found a block with a standard bore, now I either need to find a crank and cam or maybe a short block or even another engine. :banghead: Any ideas guys?

speedyleedy

Really looks great can't wait to see it when you get it done ! :happy-jumpeveryone:

dclarke

Last saturday, While in St. Louis to see my daughter I went to visit Dave "eibbed" and mentioned I was looking for a k181 for my 857. He gave me a great deal on his 867 which has the six speed tranny that I will use because of the sickle mower I have for this project. Looks like my 857 is about to be my 867. The engine has a short block that looks almost new under the head and runs very well, the tranny looks very good inside, no sludge and no water at all. I'm going to put new needle bearings and seals in it while it's apart and should be good to go. I'll post pics when I get a little more done. Thank you Dave, it was nice meeting you and your wife Debbie and getting to talk horses for a while.

Ken B

Very nice! Can't wait to see it all finished.

DMK855

Sounds like a really good score!!

dclarke

Here's a few pics of the tranny from the 867, just gonna clean it up and replace the needle bearings and seals. Hope I took enough pics to get this thing back together.

004-1.jpg

010-4.jpg

017-2.jpg

dclarke

I got the 5060 tranny cleaned up this afternoon, I'm going to add another drain plug to the bottom of the case and a couple of grease zerks to the hitch pin area. Hopefully I can get this together sometime this week.

003-2.jpg

dclarke

Tranny's all back together and ready for paint. I found a nice piece of stainless in the scrap pile at work for the top of my work bench. The area next to my vice is pretty beat up, this should fix that. I just need to trim it to fit then screw it down.

001-4.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Looks great! :handgestures-thumbup:

546cowboy

As far as that worn frame plate hole, I was just at TSC yesterday and saw they have brass bushings you could put in there. You would have to drill the hole out though but that shouldn't be a problem since you've got it all apart. Just another option.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Excellent work buckaroo...you know I just love the pictures of those transmissions. They really came out nice. :)

dclarke

Does anyone know why Wheel Horse used this setup for the fill hole plug on a 5060 trans instead of just the plug? Does this tranny hold more than 1-1/2 quarts of oil? Just curious.

006-6.jpg