dclarke

857 rebuild

Olratlr

Heck of a job you are doing Denny. :banghead:

dclarke

Painted the frame and a few pieces a couple days ago, went with basecoat/clearcoat. Considering i haven't painted anything with a spray gun in years, it didn't turn out too bad. i got some good advice about painting from a fellow R.S. member that will certainly help when i'm ready to paint the rest of the 857, THANKS Ray. I hope to get the wheels painted and get tires on this thing next. DSC00868-1.jpgDSC00872.jpgDSC00879.jpg

rmaynard

Painted the frame and a few pieces a couple days ago, went with basecoat/clearcoat.

Don't know if it's already been covered, but what brand and color paint did you use?

Great job so far.

:banghead:

DMK855

Very Nice!! :banghead:

How do you like that Scat Blast cabinet?? I have been looking to go bigger and replace my "offshore" one!!

dclarke

Painted the frame and a few pieces a couple days ago, went with basecoat/clearcoat.

Don't know if it's already been covered, but what brand and color paint did you use?

Great job so far.

:banghead:

I'm useing Martin Senour I.H. Red Bob, they had three shades of it in their paint chart and this is the darkest shade. I don't know much about paint codes but this is the label on the can.DSC00889.jpg My local N.A.P.A. store sell it here.

• Like 1

dclarke

Very Nice!! :banghead:

How do you like that Scat Blast cabinet?? I have been looking to go bigger and replace my "offshore" one!!

I had it for years and wouldn't be without it, i do wish it was bigger. I did get tired of listening to the vacuum system that came with it so i bought an exhaust fan and bag for a "Dee Blast" cabinet and put on it, now it's whisper quiet. That makes a big difference if you use it a lot. If i was going to buy one now I'd look at "Dee Blast" cabinets.

rmaynard

I'm using Martin Senour I.H. Red Bob, they had three shades of it in their paint chart and this is the darkest shade. I don't know much about paint codes but this is the label on the can.

Thanks Denny.

dclarke

I haven't got much done in the shop lately 'cause it's just too cold so i've started gathering parts that i want to get plated. I'd like to get the knob of my cigarette lighter rechromed but i don't know if it can be disassembled without destroying it. I tried to unscrew the knob without much luck. Does anyone know if the knob just screws onto a stem or if these can be taken apart?DSC00908.jpg

sorekiwi

I havent tried to take one apart Denny, but I recently soaked one (and it's socket) in Oxylic acid to remove all the rust, and it came up pretty nice.

I think Duke did a post somewhere here on Oxylic acid. The guys that restore old BMX bikes use it a lot. It's sold as a "wood bleach". You mix up a batch with water and can soak bits in it for a reasonably long time. It will remove the rust without damaging the plating.

I dont have any pictures of my lighter, but here is a before and after shot of a dashboard I did a while back:

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

This particular dash I ended up putting one of Terry's dash decals on, but you can see the difference the acid made.

I'd try soaking your lighter, and if you're still not happy with it you can still get it replated.

dclarke

Thanks Mike, i remember Duke's post now that you say that. I'll see if i can find it.

earlleecliffton

the knob is threaded in there. put it in a vice lightly, it will come out

dclarke

the knob is threaded in there. put it in a vice lightly, it will come out

Thanks. :thumbs:

dclarke

With the mild temps the last couple of days i got my e-tank out and soaked my rear wheels, just need to blast them & get some paint on 'em. I've got four front wheels ready to paint, two for the new 4.80x8 tires i ordered and two for the old 5.50x8 tires. I'm still undecided on which ones i'll use. I replaced the bearing in the drive belt idler pulley, after seeing Brian (buckrancher) do this on his "854" I thought it was a good idea. Thanks Brian for the idea and the bearing number. I found replacement rivets at Mcmaster Carr, they're sold by the pound. That's a lot of rivets. I just ground off the end of an old drift punch & used that to flatten the rivets. I don't know how some of you guys get so much done so fast, i always seem to move at a snails pace.DSC00935.jpgDSC00936.jpgDSC00937.jpgDSC00938.jpg

• Like 1

jdpuller

LOOKIN GOOD KEEP UPTHE GOOD WORK :thumbs:

dclarke

Wheels and tires are on, now i need to get some more sheet metal painted.DSC00953.jpg

• Like 1

dclarke

I had a new stainless hitch pin made with grooves for grease that match up with the zerks i installed in the trans case and the hitch. Hopefully this will keep the pin from sticking so tight. Mike, (sorekiwi) helped with the design of this pin and made it for me. When you don't have a lathe it's hard to get things like this done. The workmanship is outstanding. Thank you Mike, this will add a nice touch to my project. DSC00978.jpgDSC00979.jpgDSC00981.jpg

• Like 1

corn53

Looking sharp!!! Can`t wait to see it finished!! Keep up the good work!!! :thumbs:

dclarke

Made a few more things red today. When i got this last september i said i hoped to have it ready to mow by spring, glad i didn't say this spring. :thumbs:DSC01062.jpg

MikesRJ

Very nice Denny. I especially agree with your approach. Tires and Rims, Fame and Tranny, front end and assemble ... in that order gets you to a quick rolling frame. Ground up reconstruction is always the best way to go. :wh:

I just wish you'd put a line-break or two between your text and pictures. Reading any of your posts with both makes me dizzy(er)! :thumbs: :D

whfan74

Wow you are doing a really nice job on that one Denny! :thumbs: I have enjoyed reading up and seeing what you have done next. Keep the updates coming and thank you for the pics! :D

And by the way.......don't mind Mike, he get's dizzy all of the time from what I have been told! :wh:

Suburban 550

Great job with the paint, Denny. :D Way too nice of a tractor to use for cuttin' grass. :thumbs: Can't wait to see it all finished. :wh:

dclarke

Great job with the paint, Denny. :wh: Way too nice of a tractor to use for cuttin' grass. :thumbs:

It looks a lot better in the pics than it really is Ray, this clear coat is an expensive way to learn to paint. I envy the guys that can do it well.

sorekiwi

Been awful quiet lately Denny. Are you on holiday??

dclarke

Been awful quiet lately Denny. Are you on holiday??

Just busy at work Mike, been spending way too much time in this thing. DSC01036-1.jpg

• Like 1

dclarke

Does anyone know where i can get the bearing for this housing on my Rm636 mower deck? Toro still shows them but I don't want to pay $28.00 each for them unless I have to. My old bearing is a # 7330DC NICE, I called Motion Industries and they told me it was a special order bearing that is made only "as needed". They may be able to match it up or find something that will work if I take the old one to them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Denny.DSC01701.jpg