dclarke

857 rebuild

dclarke

Haven't got much done lately, got the cases cleaned up. added another drain hole to help drain all the oil when it's changed. looks like some of the old oil stays in the trans because of the hump in the casting. Also added zerks to the hitch pin area, plan on cutting small grooves in the pin that will line up with these zerks in the hope that greasing it will help keep the pin from freezing in the hole. i know the casting won't be as strong as before but i don't plan on any heavy pulling with it. DSC00595.jpgDSC00596.jpgDSC00594.jpgDSC00592.jpg

racinfool40

:thumbs: Great Idea's Looks Great!!! :)

AMC RULES

Nice case mods. Any updates avaliable? :thumbs:

dclarke

Nice case mods. Any updates avaliable? :thumbs:

Won't be getting back to it for a while, we just brought our beagle "Bailey" home from the vet. She has chronic kidney failure and the Vet. tells us only a few days to live. We've had her for seven and a half years and she's our fourth daughter. right now working on my wheel horse just doesn 't seem too important. Denny.

cletus

sorry to hear that-its always a tough one.

rmaynard

Denny,

So sorry to hear about Bailey. Been there, many times before, but it never gets easier.

:thumbs:

Bob

AMC RULES

Sorry to hear about your Bailey.

earlleecliffton

4 german shepards,,,, im done

Duff

Praying for Bailey........

Duff :thumbs:

jb4249

WOW I gotta find that tool to press out the hitch pin. I'm going to Sear's tomorrow. I am well into a restore of an 854. Just sprayed the frame today. I hope to be able to start painting the sheet metal tomorrow.

BTW welcome to the site. I tried a few others and there are by far many more WH guys here.

jb4249

rickv1957

Very nice start there Denny!!

Zeek

Denny, e tanking the fuel tank should not be an issue. I just did one on a D200.

Try this,

fill the tank with electrolyte and check for obvious leaks. If the tank has leaks, you may need to set the fuel tank in a tupperware container large enough to hold the tank. Both the tank and the tupperware container will need to be filled with the electrolyte solution.

Take a piece of 1/2 diameter pvc pipe, cap one end of the pipe and place it in the tank. Cut the pipe about an inch or two longer than the depth of the tank. Cutout a few holes in the pvc in "swiss cheese" pattern down the length of the pvc. Leave all the pvc intact at the point where the pvc meets the tank filler neck - this prevents an electrical short from the tank to the rebar to be fitted inside the pvc pipe.

Fit a piece of rebar down the pvc pipe and attach the red lead of the battery charger to the rebar. Negative battery lead goes to the fuel tank.

Let it cook and then repair any leaks in the fuel tank itself.

Nice ! I would never have though of that :ychain:

jb4249

:ychain: Here is a question for Dclarke. In your first series of picures you showed a picture of a tool you are using to remove the stuck hitch pin. What is that tool called and where did you get it? I am redoing an 854 and my hitch is frozen. I have been soaking with liquid wrench and PB Blaster. I have been able to move the hitch up and down a little but the pin in not moving.

So any help would be appreciated.

sorekiwi

In your first series of picures you showed a picture of a tool you are using to remove the stuck hitch pin. What is that tool called and where did you get it?

Its a ball joint/universal joint service tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-ball-j...-kit-38335.html

Here is another thread with some ideas:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...all+joint+press

jb4249

Thanks, off to Harbor Freight tomorrow

:ychain:

dclarke

Slow but sure i'm finally getting ready to start putting this thing back together. Got the bearings and seals for the tranny, hope to get it together this weekend. Had the frame blasted yesterday, still have to weld the broken tab for the belt cover and fix the hood hinge rod. DSC00837.jpg bought this little grinder DSC00836.jpg and have buffed the sharp edges on the frame and the tranny cases, hopefully it'll make the paint job a little nicer. Have 4 new carlisle turf saver tires that i'll mount when the rims are painted. Decided to mount 4.80 x 8.00 on the front because i wanted new tires all around. i'll have to see what they look like once they're on the tractor, i may end up putting some 5.50s back on it. We'll see. Been a while gathering and cleaning parts, now i need to get to work.

dclarke

reamed the hole in the dash panel to accept a bigger o.d. bushing. wasn't real sure about doing this when i started but it turned out o.k.DSC00840.jpgDSC00842.jpgDSC00846.jpg got a support bearing for the lower steering shaft and drilled the mounting holes for it. thanks for the idea Mike.(Sorekiwi)DSC00847-1.jpg

whfan74

Looking great Denny! Have been watching this restore with lot's of interest!

sorekiwi

got a support bearing for the lower steering shaft and drilled the mounting holes for it. thanks for the idea Mike.(Sorekiwi)

I'm surprised the frame didnt have the bolt holes already. The 500 Special had the holes, but the factory must've decided to save a dollar or two by not using the bearing.

The tractor looks nice Denny - nice attention to detail. :banghead:

dclarke

I'm surprised the frame didnt have the bolt holes already.

I ended up going with a frame from a "606" parts tractor i had. The hole for the front axle pin is in much better shape and my 857 frame is pock marked pretty good from battery acid. Don't know what year they started drilling holes in that plate, the 857 frame had them.

dclarke

These came in the mail today, i can't believe how NICE they are. :banghead:DSC00848.jpgThank you Terry.

dclarke

A few pics of the tranny repair.DSC00861-1.jpgDSC00862.jpgDSC00863.jpgDSC00866.jpgDSC00867.jpg made a new front axle pinDSC00853.jpgand working on a new lower steering shaft.DSC00856.jpg

racinfool40

Looking Great Denny between you and Stevasaure's Tranny pics gonna make my Job alot easier!!!!!Keep up the Great work!!! :banghead:

stevasaurus

WOW Denny...wish I was making another trip down there. It would be great to see that in person. That trans looks fantastic. :banghead:

rickv1957

Looking very good there Denny!!