Sign in to follow this  
300zx

Auxiliary Solenoid Repair

300zx

The 1989 520h has an auxiliary solenoid mounted down near the starter and its own solenoid. It provides power to the starter solenoid. Mine would click, so I new the low current solenoid was good, but wouldn't show any connection on the high current side. I pulled it off and spread the metal clips on the bottom to remove the metal base. I removed the solenoid wires soldered to the external connections. I pressed the 1/4 inch copper bolts and the solenoid out of the plastic case by putting a large socket on the base in a vice and pressed the rest out into the socket. Once it was all out, the corrosion on the copper bolts and the copper washer were the obvious problem. I cleaned all three with the wire wheel on the bench grinder and reassembled the parts. It worked like new. It took me only 15 minutes and saved me $30 and two to three days of wait time for the part to come in. The satisfaction was priceless.

B-8074

:thumbs: :) good job!

Save Old Iron

Way to go John,

success on many levels.

When I get them from the printer, Ill send out your diploma.

Well done Sir !

SOIBSSticker.png

Anglo Traction

Nice one John ! :thumbs: . I do the same with Solenoids, even the riveted ones. Don't like throwing things away when there is another bunch of years in them.

300zx

It's amazing how beefy solenoids are on the inside.