Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

Engien won't turn off

sgtsampay

Hi all. I hopping to get some help on a problem that i have..

As you guys know, i relaced the orginal 11Hp Briggs with a 18Hp Briggs twin. Well, the orginal engine didn't have a ground going from the wiring harness to the coil, and I kinda need one, or the engine won't turn off. Currently the only way to shut it down, is to choke it to death.. So if you guys have any ideas, please help. :thumbs: Thanks..

rmaynard

Sounds like an ignition switch problem to me. If you've got no 12 volts to the coil, you've got no spark, therefore it won't run. Seems to me the better way to shut it down than chocking it, is to remove the 12 volts to the coil by disconnecting it manually. Then get out your meter and your wiring diagram to see why you are still getting voltage to the coil when the switch is off.

Save Old Iron

this will be interesting ......

:thumbs:

YNOT

I believe the briggs used a magneto

3 wires, 1 AC, 1 DC ( diode), and one for grounding.

The ground was achieved via a relay activated by the ignition switch.

Identify the 3 wires coming from the magneto one will be your kill ground.

Hope i'm right here

Tony

Save Old Iron

had that nagging feeling too about a 1986 218-5 Wheel Horse

but then again I have not earned the rank of Advanced Technical Expert, so I was hesitant to to chime in.

I suspect you might be on the right track with the magneto kill wire. I suspect if your were able to kill the 11Hp , with the proper connection to the kill terminal on the magneto, you will be able to kill the 18hp.

HankB

I would dig up a wiring diagram for the replacement engine to see how it is supposed to be shut down. Some are by completing a ground (I think) and some are not. You have to implement whatever Briggs intended or you risk damage to the ignition.

FWIW the ground wire for the K301 in my Raider 12 is not connected and I reliably stop it by reducing the throttle to idle and flipping the choke on full. (The tractor is badly in need of restoration and I'll address all of the electrical issues at that time.)

-hank

sgtsampay

OK, after reading you guys comments, I firgured out I do have a Magneto. On the mag, it has the two spark plugs wires and then it has a little ground connector under the mag. If you ground this wire it will not fire. Now, the orginal harness has a connector that went to this ground plug and i guess that is how it used to turn off.

Now, the 11Hp briggs had the same set-up but its ground wire was connected to an engine bolt permently? Does this makes since or did I forget something while taking this thing apart? LOL.

So, if I am correct about the 11Hp being different than the 18, then how should I connect the ground wire to the wiring harness of the horse? Any particular wire I should just try and tap it into or...

Thanks guys for all of the help..

rmaynard

but then again I have not earned the rank of Advanced Technical Expert, so I was hesitant to to chime in.

I somehow knew that you would be the person to notice and make the first comment. I did not earn the rank of Advanced Technical Expert, I gave it to myself. much like the dubious title of Professor you have granted to yourself.

Touch

sgtsampay

I somehow knew that you would be the person to notice and make the first comment. I did not earn the rank of Advanced Technical Expert, I gave it to myself. much like the dubious title of Professor you have granted to yourself.

Touch

TT

@Bobby:

I suspect the "ground wire was connected to an engine bolt" you speak of was actually the insulated "junction" stud/terminal used to connect the kill wire from the magneto and the ground wire from the ignition switch. B&S engines are set up that way to allow removal of the engine from the machine without having to cut the wire(s).

The original engine would have had the same terminal, so it should just be a matter of finding the wire on the tractor and plugging it on to the terminal of the replacement engine.

bmuone

Bobby I have a 211-4. Mine had a blue wire that came from the ignition switch. It was routed around to the left side of the engine. Then it attached to a little bitty nut that had another wire coming from the magneto. That is what and where TT is talking about I think. I have some pictures if it would help you.

Don1977

All the Briggs switches I have see have a lug grounded to the switch case that grounds the engine when the switch is turned off. If you look at the back off the switch the ground lug has brass tab under it that goes to the switch case.

TT

As a follow-up to Don's post.....

The ground terminal on the ignition switch IS NOT where the magneto kill wire attaches.

(if it was hooked to that terminal there would never be any spark)

The wire to the magneto grounding stud on the engine would connect to the "M" (magneto) or "I" (ignition) terminal on the ignition switch. Whether the switch terminals are marked with an "I" or "M" depends on the switch and it's application - but it has to be a switch for magneto ignition for it to function correctly.

When the key is in the "OFF" position, a connection is made (inside the ignition switch) between the "G" (ground) and "M" (magneto) terminals, thus grounding the ignition coil and killing the spark.

sgtsampay

So it looks like i need to find that connector.. Hmm. I will keep looking later in the week..

sgtsampay

Ok, so i was able to find the kill wire and then I put on a the correct end on it, so i could hoke it up to the magneto. Works great now. Thanks for the help all.