hcminis

1982, 83, 84 Workhorse Series

hcminis

Think the Workhorse (grey paint) series was only made in 82, 83, & 84. Believe there were two different models in 83. Was curious to know some of your opinions.

Have a chance to buy a Workhorse series but don't know the model. Forgot to write it down because the tractor was almost show room new from what I could tell. It was sitting in a barn with concrete floor under a white sheet. Guy said he would take $325.00 for it.

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

• Like 3

Duff

I wish I lived closer to Indiana right now, if that tells you anything........

Duff :thumbs:

• Like 4

kpinnc

First, this post only refers to the horizontal-shaft garden tractor (GT) Work Horses. I think there were a few vertical-shaft lawn tractors (LT) made by Work Horse, but I have never kept up with the model numbers.

Workhorses (GT1142 and GT1842) were just Wheel Horse tractors with Briggs engines and different paint jobs. Some of the instrumentation and/or additional similar options were different, but the heart of the tractor (frame, transmission, structural components) were identical.

In other words, the GT1142 would be basically a 310-8, or a non-existent "311-8" if you wanted to get technical about it. My 310-8 is one of my favorite machines, and is quite capable of most anything I throw at it.

But the GT1842 hydro (at least in my opinion) is sort of a "wolf in sheep's clothing" tractor. If you wanted to get technical about this tractor, it is nearly as capable as an early 520-H, having just 2 less horsepower and the same rear end with hydraulic lift. The GT1842 is easily more capable than even a 516-H or 518-H, as both those machines (at least in the domestic versions) used the lighter-duty Eaton transmission and did not have hydraulic lift.

Whichever one yours is, good luck with it. Both machines are good ones.

• Like 2

hcminis

Thanks guys for the info.

This belongs to an old farmer who didn't realize it was a Wheel Horse. He said "you might be interested in this other tractor but don't think it's much". Don't really think he knows what he has. There was a Murray MTD beside it under a sheet and he was more proud of that tractor than the Workhorse.

Will definitely go check it out when I get the money. It's not going anywhere because nobody knows it's there.

Thanks again and will double check the model when I get a chance.

• Like 1

zieg72

Just give me the address and I can help that farmer out.... :thumbs:

• Like 2

whfan74

Wow you probably didn't know you had so many friends did you D.J.? :thumbs:

• Like 1

Sparky

Dont forget there was also a GT1600 in the Workhorse series with a Briggs twin. I think it was an 8 speed and not an auto but not sure.

Mike..........

• Like 2

TT

There were technically 9 WorkHorse GT models produced from 1982 to 1984:

GT-1100 or 1142 (8 speed), GT-1600 or 1642 (8 speed), and GT-1800 or 1848 (automatic).

The "00" models were sold as tractor-only while the others were sold as a tractor/deck package. (first two digits were horsepower / last two digits were cutting width)

Although they look very similar - if not identical - each year was a little different.

There were also several LT models produced along with two RR (rear-engined rider) models.

Here's a pic from the 1984 brochure that shows a few of the pewter Horses:

1462985887_bc136ba6e2.jpg

• Like 5

Daddy Don

I have a GT100 with a 11hp bs on it. I restored it and it does a great job. It is equal to the 318 I think. I use it to move my boat and plow snow in the winter. No problem with it. I bought it for 100.00 and would do it again.

• Like 2

KB9LOR

I bought a GT-1642 for 50.00 bucks, had a blown 3rd gear, swapped trannys last winter, runs and works as it should....would love to have the bigger workhorse!

• Like 2

kpinnc

GT-1100 or 1142 (8 speed), GT-1600 or 1642 (8 speed), and GT-1800 or 1848 (automatic).

Thanks Mike and TT. I had completely forgotten the GT1600, and my previous posts list the 18hp version as GT1842. It should have been GT1848.

Kevin

• Like 2

Jim_M

The LT's are nothing to write home about. If it's an LT it's overpriced.

• Like 1

Horse Fanatic

The GT 1800 (or 1848) had the wide rear rims and 10.5" tires. I have one, it's a great machine.

• Like 3

Joe V.

Work Horse Tractors were manufactured by Wheel Horse and essentially are Wheel Horse Tractors.  Wheel Horse put different engines in them or something else to separate them from the Wheel Horse line.   This was done simply to maintain their legal right to keep their Work Horse brand that they owned but never used.  Another company wanted to use it for their equipment and so off to court they went..  Wheel horse objected as they owned the Work Horse Brand.  Judge said, WH if you want to keep it you must use it...   so they did.  Ta Da!  That is why their are Wheel Horse manufactured Work Horse Tractors.   I have one.  It's exactly the same as a B80 but instead of a Kohler engine it's Tecumseh.

• Like 3

JackC

At one point I wanted to add a GT 1848 Work Horse to my collection but never found one good enough and I have since given up. I have too many.

Here is my LT 1100 Work Horse in nice condition that I paid $100 for. It is a 5 speed and is on my dispose of list after I clean the carburetor. The first thing I did was remove the perfect logo seat and replaced it with a similar one without the logo. It is a good lawn mower but that is about it.

P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010003.JPGP1010004.JPGP1010005.JPG

Edited by JackC
  • Like 8

TDF5G

That's a good tractor for $100.  Good idea to save the seat.  I've done the same thing. 

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I am interested in seeing how many RS veterans this 7 year old thread brings out of the woodwork... :hide:

• Like 3

woodchuckfarmer

I had one years ago and traded it for a 1989 520H . Mine was a 1848 , good tractor. My son worked for the dealer and got in back.      Wayne

• Like 1

Sodaking27

I have a 1642. Still going strong.IMG_0084.JPG

• Like 3

JackC

Here is some GT-1848 Work Horse eye candy that was on Ebay a few years ago. One year had in my opinion a nicer grey than the other years.

If you like the smooth running twin automatics like I do, this is in my opinion the primo Work Horse model with the twin 18hp Briggs and the larger tires. This one is a beauty and if I recall it went for about a grand. Did anyone out there get it?

!BkCs+BQ!mk~$(KGrHqIH-EQEs8jJQvWEBLV6speC+Q~~_12.jpg!BkCs2T!BGk~$(KGrHqMH-EEEs-ZsV4pVBLV6sG89Yw~~_12.jpg!BkCs5V!BWk~$(KGrHqYH-E!Es-1HqzrVBLV6sSRicw~~_12.jpg!BkCs8Ow!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-CoEs8WQHPmMBLV6seFOkg~~_12.jpg!BkCsg)w!2k~$(KGrHqQH-DgEs+H(DdW0BLV6q1n+!!~~_12.jpg!BkCsj8!!Wk~$(KGrHqMH-CMEs82!,!pqBLV6rB,9Pg~~_12.jpg!BkCsn!gBmk~$(KGrHqYH-DgEt!Hzo(JtBLV6rNicKg~~_12.jpg!BkCssygCGk~$(KGrHqMH-D8EsgINHCIYBLV6rlH6bQ~~_12.jpg!BkCswDQBWk~$(KGrHqEH-DUEs6eKRz9qBLV6rwzVFg~~_12.jpg!BkCszBwCGk~$(KGrHqMH-DsEs+,dDCVZBLV6r7og5!~~_12.jpg!BkCtBvgB2k~$(KGrHqQH-EYEs-VNdR+bBLV6s0zMFw~~_12.jpg!BkCssygCGk~$(KGrHqMH-D8EsgINHCIYBLV6rlH6bQ~~_12.jpg!BkCswDQBWk~$(KGrHqEH-DUEs6eKRz9qBLV6rwzVFg~~_12.jpg!BkCszBwCGk~$(KGrHqMH-DsEs+,dDCVZBLV6r7og5!~~_12.jpg!BkCtBvgB2k~$(KGrHqQH-EYEs-VNdR+bBLV6s0zMFw~~_12.jpgGT1848 left side.jpg

:

• Like 6

c-series don

I bought a GT-1800 brand new in 1984, mowed grass commercially with it for 8 years. Also tilled many gardens,plowed tons of snow. I really wish this tractor had an hour meter. I would be willing to bet it has over 3000 hours on it. I change the oil constantly and the original Briggs is still going strong. I'm currently doing a down to the bare frame restoration of this tractor. I hope to have it done for the big show but I also have this silly little high school graduation thing for my daughter which is on the Friday of the big show!! What a delema!!

Wow Jack that is a nice Work Horse. I wonder which color grey that is? I like it. Mine is going to look like that if I can my rear in gear and finish it. 

• Like 1

Tankman

My 16 hp Briggs Work Horse runs great. Never any problems. Knock on wood!!

The 1642 was a barn find. Free to haul away, hadn't been used in ten years.

Owners Mom flipped it. Sent to a dealer for fixing which included a new 48" SD deck.

Cleaned up, new seat, oil, etc., etc., etc. Didn't like the all gray, belt guards are now Regal Red.

Lug bolts gone. Just don't like 'em. Added the Dial-A-Height adjust for plowing. I don't believe the Dial-A-Height was sold with Work Horses.

Work_Horse.JPGWork_Horse_Plow-www.JPG

Lug_Nuts_Install.JPG

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

JackC
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

Wow Jack that is a nice Work Horse. I wonder which color grey that is? I like it. Mine is going to look like that if I can my rear in gear and finish it. 

c-series don,  Here is a quote from an old thread:

Found this in a 1988 212-5 service manual

Pewter Metallic Enamel - Automotive Equivalent: 1971 Lincoln-Mercury Pewter Metallic

Pewter Grey Enamel - Automotive Equivalent: 1982 Lincoln Light Pewter (this one is not metallic)

I believe the 1982 models were the only ones to use the metallic paint and the 1983-84 models used the plain grey paint.

Garry

http://www.wheelhorse.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2464

• Like 1

c-series don

Thanks Jack, I repainted mine around 1988 even though it probably didn't need it. So I lost the original color and now I think I will go with the pewter metallic. So nice to see everyone here helping each other out! 

• Like 1

fast88pu

This is mine I got for $75.00

IMG-20160715-00513.jpg

• Like 2