Sign in to follow this  
BPjunk

Going to try some thing new.

BPjunk

I am almost done restoring the '500' SPECIAL raffle prize tractor for the show but the one part that concerned me was the dash panel. as it is pretty crumby looking right now. :thumbs::D:thumbs:

The original dash panel had screened on lettering for the controls and shift pattern, over the years the panel rusted plus the lettering got scratched off on the tractor. This problem is common to the 1965 to 1969 dash panels. There is not very many N.O.S. dash panels out there so the idea came up to make a decal to cover the old worn dash panel.

I received two dash panel decals from the Horse Dr. Joe Papke in White Pigeon, Michigan and I will see how well this decal works. There is a upper and lower dash section decal (top silver and lower black), he has different decals for the various models from 1965 to 1969. Keep in mind also if you do have a changed hood stand with a different panel or your tractor has a replacement panel you might want to double check be fore ordering a set.

For the '500' SPECIAL dash panel I will sand blast the dash to get all he rust off and then paint it with clear coat before installing the decal to make sure rust does not come back.

I will take pictures and let you know how the dash panel turns out.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

nylyon

Bill, that's a great idea, looking forward to seeing the results

BPjunk

Here is the process for restoring old metal type dash panels for Wheel Horse models from 1965 to 1969.

Step 1

This panel had the usual amount of rust and deteriorated paint but since no extra holes had been drilled into it this panel will get restored .

dashstep1.jpg

Bill in Richmond, Va.

BPjunk

Step 2

Sand blast the both side of the dash panel.

dashstep2.jpg

Bill in Richmond, VA.

BPjunk

Step 3

Paint the panel with "Dull Aluminum" paint, I used Krylon brand (because I had a can laying around) and this color is a close match.

dashstep3.jpg

Bill in Richmond, Va.

BPjunk

Step 4

Place the decals out to see how they will fit on the dash panel. There two decals in the kit a upper and lower, both decals have a protective sheet on them.

dashstep4.jpg

Bill in Richmond, Va.

BPjunk

Step 5

Place the bottom decal right up to the center edge of the dash panel.

dashstep5.jpg

Bill in Richmond, Va.

BPjunk

Step 6

Now very carefully place the upper decal STARTING at the lower portion of the center edge.

Make sure you line up all wording with the correct holes on the dash.

dashstep6.jpg

Bill in Richmond, Va.

BPjunk

Step 7

Very carefully cut out all of the holes including the mounting bolt holes, for this I used a x-acto knife. When trimming around the edge always use the down stroke to cut so the decals does not get peeled away from the panel.

dashstep7.jpg

Bill in Richmond, Va.

BPjunk

Step 8

Install the control cables, ignition switch and other dash panel parts.

dashstep8.jpg

Bill in Richmond, Va.

BPjunk

Step 9

Install the dash in your Wheel Horse and enjoy how others will envy your restoration! Here is how the dash of the '500' SPECIAL turned out.

Total restoration time 1 hour.

To get this dash decal kit contact Joe Papke at horsedr2004@yahoo.com .

dashstep9.jpg

Bill in Richmond, Va.

mailman

I'm impressed! That looks very nice! I will definately keep Joe in saved addresses for the future. Thanks for the tip and nice job on the step by step pics. Great Job Bill. :whistle:

combatmp29r

That looks really good Bill. :whistle: Joe makes them for my older Verts so i think I may just have to get ahold of him.

KyBlue

That looks great!!!

The Plastic Dash on my b80 is Cracked ... is there anybody out there who offers Repro peices? Or am I going to have to repair this one?? Im sure its Fixable with some Epoxy glue.

TT

How bad did the vinyl decal twist up when you tightened the mounting screws, Bill?

I'm guessing you tightened the ignition switch from the back side? :whistle:

Stigian

Dash looks great Bill, hats off to you for such a fine job :whistle: :WRS:

Vinylguy

does anyone have a high quality close up of the original in good shape with no rust.

were they actually brushed aluminum? or were they silver vinyl as shown in the how to steps. Any info will be appreciated.

CasualObserver

Terry, originally they were screen painted directly to the metal dash panel... thus the rust and wear... there wasn't a decal.

Vinylguy

Thats what I thought it was but have not seen an original.

I am going to contact a local guy I know and see if he has an actual dash so I can experiment. Was the center originally painted white where the text for the accessories was printed? I would like to make the top section out of chrome or brushed chrome

This material works well on flat areas but wont cut it on the small center strip which appears to be raised a little. I may be able to cut small black letters to apply and use chrome on top / black on bottom. This would require painting the entire dash white after prepping. then apply the black bottom decal then the chrome top and finally apply the die cut black lettering on the white center line. does this make sense?

DMESS

Terry, the dash is only silver and black. I think that last picture gives the illusion of a light colored strip down the center but it isn't the case. The original chrome panel was screened with black and red.

The center console plates were the same material and screened as well.

Decals for the center consol would be a HOT seller as no one has tackled this area yet that I am aware of. Finding a legible original could be the trick and I think there were several designs of these as well.

Brian1045

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

Same dash ,but no automatic

CasualObserver

Decals for the center consol would be a HOT seller as no one has tackled this area yet that I am aware of. Finding a legible original could be the trick and I think there were several designs of these as well.

The ongoing topic of the hydro tractor center consoles has been split to this topic

Hydro Center console plates