Sign in to follow this  
dhuberinc

H55B electric starter questions..

dhuberinc

Greetings! Ok, thanks to the good people :) on this site I fixed the recoil on the H55B on my recently acquired 1960 Suburban and want to move on to the electric starter which wasn't hooked up. It came with a few loose cable chunks and a solenoid but no key or starter switch. I see a couple wiring diagrams in other posts regarding other starters but want to be clear before proceeding. My questions are: what kind of switch will work and fit in the hole on the dash, where is the preferred placement of the battery and solenoid, and is there a wiring diagram available specifically for this starter? Thanks a million.

dhuberinc

I'm not getting very far with this. I have a new solenoid, the three prong type. I know one side goes to the starter & one side goes to the + side of the battery. I know you ground the battery somewhere on the engine block. I found an original split key ignition switch at a swap meet with a red wire (connected to post S) & black wire (connected at post M) and it has a ground post coming from the switch body so I assume it gets that from the mounting hole. I'm stuck at this point because I don't want to burn anything out. I see this electrical thing on the front of the motor & know it interacts with the electrics somehow. Can anyone out there make clear where I go from here?

Kelly

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, you have a tractor that is not very common, so not many will have the answer, but someone will see this and help you out.