Sign in to follow this  
yokomist

Fish ID

yokomist

Hey Guys,

I decided yesterday to see whats lurking in my pond. Apart from some baby gators and turtles, I didnt know what was in there.

Here is what I caught today:

DSC01717.jpg

I have no idea what it is.

Its about a 1/3 acre pond with lots of duckweed. Its fed by wetlands. I am not sure if the previous owner stocked it at all. I am located in central Florida

Thanks in advance,

Bevan

wh500special

I'm no ichthyologist, but it looks like a Snakehead to me. Snakeheads are an invasive species from Asia and there is some concern about their overtaking our natural fisheries...especially in the South.

They are supposed to be pretty good fighters. I think the common recommendation is to kill them when caught. But there is some controversy as to how viable and dangerous they actually might be. Search for "Snakehead" or "Northern Snakehead" on google and you'll find quite a bit pertinent to your state.

Steve

wh500special

Whoops, Raider might be right...

I didn't see any whiskers so assumed the worst. If it had no teeth then it definately wasn't a Snakehead.

Steve

yokomist

Thanks for the replies Steve and Raider, It didnt put up a fight being reeled in and was pretty calm on the ground. I didnt notice any teeth but then again I didnt look.

If I get to choose it would be the bowfin, sounds like a better fish to have! I was dissapointed to think it might be snake head. Hopefully I can catch another so I can compare, but I am not a very good fisherman sadly.

Thanks again guys,

Bevan

hcminis

Would agree with Raider also. The proof would be the anal fin length.

stevasaurus

I looked all over and it is the colors that aren't right. :USA:

Let's see...the colors of a Coho Salmon...the mouth of a Walleye...and the fins of a Musky. I think you have caught one of them there Kowalski's. Did you have to teach it how to swim? :) :wh:

yokomist

Yup its a bowfin for sure, I just caught another and studied it a lil closer. It even has the little feeler things on the upper lip.

And hey there Steve - I was waiting for you to jump in :)

Bevan

kpinnc

And just an FYI- Bowfins get HUGE. There are tons of them in some of the most southern NC swamps and rivers. Not quite Alligator Gar-sized, but close.

Kevin