Sign in to follow this  
Tim S.

another nubie question

Tim S.

Is there a way to tell a garden tractor from a lawn tractor by sight or other means, will be getting a b-100 in a couple of weeks for my first horse.

whfan74

The B-100 would be considered a garden tractor in my honest opinion.

Vertical shaft would be a lawn mower.........your B-100 is a horizontal shaft giving you the capability to add other attachments to the tractor.

Others will chime in and give a more detailed explanation for you........

stevasaurus

Tim... :USA: Yep...what Scott said...the B-100 is a garden tractor.and a good one. :)

Of course you know we want pictures. :wh:

B-8074

A rule of thumb that I use, is if the back wheels bolt on then it's a garden tractor. If they slide on and use a cotter key or e-clip then it's a lawn tractor. And welcome aboard.

HankB

A rule of thumb that I use, is if the back wheels bolt on then it's a garden tractor. If they slide on and use a cotter key or e-clip then it's a lawn tractor. And welcome aboard.

That would mean that my A-80-E is a garden tractor and IMO (with a Peerless trans) it is not.

A vertical shaft is often associated with a lawn tractor. However, my first WH was a Charger V8. It was equipped with an Eaton 7 Hydro and IMO that trans is substantial enough to handle ground engaging attachments.

I suppose the final determination is how robust the trans and frame are. The vertical chargers and commandos used Eaton and Wheel Horse transmissions, but they do not have the two rail frame configuration as is seen in your avatar. As such, I would consider them in between the garden and lawn classifications.

I suppose one way that WH classified them is whether they had the square axle and/or rear hitch for attaching gardening attachments.

HTH,

hank

VinsRJ

LT's tend to have sheet metal frames. :)

horsefeathers

Tim... :wh: Yep...what Scott said...the B-100 is a garden tractor.and a good one. :USA:

Of course you know we want pictures. :)

Thats right!! !

The b100 is a good tractor especialy when the price is right!!

Mister I never win anything!!! :)

Nice line up Steve!

:) HORSEFEATHERS!

mr.pipes

The difference between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor is that a garden tractor accepts ground engaging attachments, such as a plow, disc harrow, tiller, cultivator, thatcher.

KC9KAS

I agree....MY B-100 is a Garden Tractor.

Tim S.

Hello again I posted this back in november and just got the tractor late april had a local retired machinist rebuild the motor, after putting around the yard to break in it began to knock. took back to machinist said fly wheel nut worked loose retightend nut.

Started back up putting around the yard again 5 minutes knock is back and getting louder heavy knocking like hammering, check fly wheel nut it's TIGHT loosing confidence in machinest he did a cub 341 for me 2 years ago it's running fine everyday mowing tractor, can it be anything else but the connecting rod.

TIA, Tim

mr.pipes

I wish I could tell you what the problem is.

I suggest bringing it back to him if he rebuilt it recently.

I would think if there is a major problem he would rather fix it now then later

when the rod is sticking out of the engine through a nice new hole

I hope you are able to get it all sorted out :hide:

HorseFixer

I agree with what Pipes said. Most people especially if he is honest and upstanding I would think would like a chance to redeem himself. It could be a loose Rod on crank as mentioned and that sounds about right to me and hopefully it has not done much damage. I would deffinatley insist that the bottom pan & head be dropped check conneting rod and piston this will also allow for examination of oil and sump of oil pan for shavings. Sounds like something in Rod area to me. :hide: Good Luck

Cheers ~Duke

:WRS:

HankB

First, click the dropdown on the Picasaweb site to select the '800' size.

next click "image only" and it seems that you did that.

Next on the RS page, click the IMG button and paste the URL for the picture:

006.JPG

viola - a beautiful picture of a great looking tractor! :hide:

bigd

nice tractor i would agree about the rod but more details would help one loud knock would indicate a rod a double knock (takes a practiced ear)would indicate a wrist pin.a third possibility is the crank is not shimed correctly.what type of rebuild was it?new rod and piston or was it a refresh just gaskets and rings?any maching done?I had one brought to me that had been rebuilt it ran but knocked and was lacking power when i pulled the head off i found the kit that was put in it was for a twelve horse and the sheetmetal said it was a twelve horse but the engine was actuall a 14 horse,you could move the piston almost an eighth of an inch in the cylinder i couldnt believe the engine ran.

Tim S.

The old rod broke I acquired the tractor through trade same piston new rings and gaskets as far as I know. The crank was polished, he turned the crank on a 341 I had him do on an old cub and it's still mowing an acre of grass from 2 summers ago, Can't tell about the knock weather it's single or double knock.

Tim S.

Update on motor, connecting rod lock washers he showed me were backing off, (I should say nuts were backing off) very thin and didnt' have the slight offset they normally have looked flat like a regular washer, replaced those and been running the tractor for 15 to 20 minutes a day now for about a week now everything seems good now. what a smooth running little 10 horse motor it is now, mower deck is on and cuts nice, man I love it.

can whlvr

good to here you got it sorted out :hide:

Duff

Update on motor, connecting rod lock washers he showed me were backing off, (I should say nuts were backing off) very thin and didnt' have the slight offset they normally have looked flat like a regular washer, replaced those and been running the tractor for 15 to 20 minutes a day now for about a week now everything seems good now. what a smooth running little 10 horse motor it is now, mower deck is on and cuts nice, man I love it.

Every now and then a few lock washers come off the production line with no spring tension in them. I've gotten a few that way over the years. Don't know the metallurgy involved (bet someone here does!), but you end up basically with a flat washer with a split in it. Glad you isolated the problem before any damage was done, and enjoy your tractor!

Duff :hide: :WRS: