mattd860

H55 or HH55????

mattd860

The model # stamped on my 5.5hp Lauson/Tecumseh engine is H55B-1170. However all of the local shops cannot find any record of this motor at all. They seem to get somewhere when they use model # HH55 but actually, that trail goes cold too. I've also seen other posts with people calling them HH55 or H55. So what is it really?? Neither H55 or HH55 get me anywhere (or anything) at the parts stores but I just need to know for my own sanity.

Thanks!

evanloock

A HH Tecumseh engine is a cast iron blink motor (HH=heavy duty horizontal). The problem you are having is that the H55B and the H55D engines used in the Suburban 550 and the 551 are NOT on microfiche or the computer search methods. You will need to find a dealer or individual who has an older parts book with these models.

mattd860

Thanks!!!!! Even if I find an older book containing part #'s - will the part #'s be usable?

evanloock

Yes...if any parts are still available (and not many will be) the old numbers should be able to be cross referenced to a new part number. If you need carb parts use the numbers off the carb. I don't know if any parts are available for the Tillotson carb on the H55B-1170, but I ordered a carb kit for the Walbro carb on a H55D-2113 last year.

stevasaurus

Matt...you are correct that information is scarce to nil on the 5.5 techy/lawson engines. I have the HT55C-3088P on my 502. I have been searching for a couple of years, and I have a book on the way that may help...should be here any day now. Search the posts in this section and you will find quit a few threads related to this subject. Off the top...it seems that the 5.5 and the 6HP parts are interchangeable. The 5.5 used an oil pump rather then splash though.

I have also heard that the 4 HP is also the same block and parts...but I am not sure about that yet. :USA: Good to know there is some one else looking. :)

gd.pudge

thats interesting ,didnt know that

puddlejumper

I am not computator literate enough to tell you how to find this but I downloaded the pages from this site . it is a parts list for your h55. I am guessing formariz is the man you need to talk to. This is the locator at the bottom of the pages I printed.

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww51/formariz/lauson1.jpg

Hey it works Just put the page numbers after lauson in above locator

dhuberinc

My motor is the exact same model number and I can't find any parts info either. I do have an old Lauson book that has a data sheet for the model H & HB 45 and 55. It's a 1961 document in the "Aftermarket Engines" section. Has a nice pic and all the performance and dimentional specs but alas no parts data.

mattd860

My motor is the exact same model number and I can't find any parts info either. I do have an old Lauson book that has a data sheet for the model H & HB 45 and 55. It's a 1961 document in the "Aftermarket Engines" section. Has a nice pic and all the performance and dimentional specs but alas no parts data.

dhuberinc - I just sent you a private message.

fireman

You should have just bought my RJ58 :thumbs:

mattd860

You should have just bought my RJ58 :thumbs:

LOL - I know your RJ didn't need any work or restoration but I thoroughly enjoy doing my own restoration projects. I have all winter long to make the suburban looking like your RJ.

I went to the Jacktown show in Penn this weekend and got lots of tips on fixing up my tractor and motor. I talked to one guy who has the Lauson H55A, H55B, H55C, and H55D as well as tons of parts. He as immensely helpful.

stevasaurus

Matt...hope you are going to share what you learned. :thumbs: :)

mattd860

Ok the manual I purchased on Ebay was a HUGE success. It contains the parts list, engine breakdown diagram, carb diagrams bulletins, and the Mechanics Handbook for ALL Lauson Tecumseh engins that were sold around the early 1960's.

This book contains specific breakdowns of the ellusive H55B-1170 as well as the H55A and H55C which I was told also came with suburban 550s. As we already knew, a lot of the parts cross reference to the H55D series but know we know for sure which is which :)

The Mechanics Handbook is golden. It showed me how to route and adjust the carb/governor linkage and tons more. The manual also gives clearances and torque specs for all the lauson/tecumseh motors

I have attached the information pertaining to the H55B as well as the carb diagram and a weird Bulletin regarding an H55 carb change. However, non of the carb part #s on the bulletin relate to the carb found on the Wheel Horse Models. If someone can look into it that would be great. If there's a replacement carb for the H55 that you can still get parts for, it may be worth getting since the old Tilloston that came with the Suburban is impossible to find parts for.

I cannot scan the Mechanics Handbook because even though it's in a "4-ring" binder, most of the pages are still bound together. So I would have to fold and manually scan in each and every page which will take me all day. If anybody needs specific information, feel free to PM or ask here and I'll get if for you.

IF YOU NEED ANY INFORMATION FEEL FREE TO ASK ME. I CAN GET INFO ON MANY DIFFERENT VERTICLE AND HORIZONTAL SHAFT TECUMSEH MOTORS & CARBS.

Parts Catalog

Carb Diagram

Carb Change Bulletin

:):wh::) :thumbs:

• Like 2

mattd860

Just a note on the links I posted above.... Make sure you click the Green download button below the document preview window after you click the link. The images, letters, and numbers will become much clearer

Tgtack
On 10/22/2010 at 2:11 PM, mattd860 said:

Just a note on the links I posted above.... Make sure you click the Green download button below the document preview window after you click the link. The images, letters, and numbers will become much clearer

@stevasaurus, @mattd860,  know this is an old post, and not trying to call you guys out, but I am trying to dig up the same info that you guys were looking for years ago on the HH55B engine.

None of the posted links work, nearly all of the posted photos were posted off site and they are no longer available. If you guys still have the information about the 551 tractor and the HH55B engine, please share as several of us are currently trying to bring one back to life and info is impossible to find. I can not even find clear close up pics of the engine and how it mounts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

00101_eGeEDAXRGu5_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 1

oldredrider

Couple of pics

Resized_20170803_184524.jpg

Resized_20170803_184651.jpeg

• Like 2

Tgtack

Is the mounting base cast as part of the block, or bolted to the block?

@oldredrider, can you measure the overall height to top of the engine heat shield?

oldredrider

The mounting base is part of the block. 3" OC side to side and 6 3/8 OC front to back. 

From engine base to top of the engine shroud is 12 1/4".

• Like 1

Tgtack

Thank you!

stevasaurus

Tgtack...send a PM to @mattd860 and ask him about the materials he has.  My book "Chilton's SMALL ENGINES Repair & Tune-Up Guide"

Copy right 1974...pretty much a how to book on the engines and carbs with specs and torques.  If you need any of that stuff, I should be able to help.  The book has no part numbers. 

formariz
On 8/3/2017 at 8:20 PM, Tgtack said:

Is the mounting base cast as part of the block, or bolted to the block?

@oldredrider, can you measure the overall height to top of the engine heat shield?

@oldredrider. Can you take photo of bottom of your engine? As per parts diagram bottom plate should be bolted to block and not part of it. Others I have here are bolted to block.

5985557375b0b_lauson2.jpg.cb81107420a5730f0ec46a32989dc10f.jpg