Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

I need some wiring help please :)

Horse'n Around

I rewired my Raider 10, I decided to install a solenoid because I would rather not trust the light guage wires to run the starting circuit. Well so far so good, I have installed the wiring and with the exception of one thing everything seems to be working so far.The part that has me confused is this. On the wiring harness that comes out of the engine there are three wires. This particular harness has the 3 wires mounted in a row and the connectors are tubular or pin type. Heres my prediciment, every wiring diagram shows the center wire which is black (from the engine) going to the M pole on the ign/start switch. the other two go to the rectifier and the center wire (orange) from the rectifier goes to the R pole on the ign/ starter switch. Well the new switch I bought has a I in place of the M pole and a A in place of the L pole. When the black wire is connected to the I pole, the engine will not start,but when its not plugged into the switch it starts fine but when I turn the key to off it wont shut off. In case it matters, the rectifier wiring plug has 3 flat connectors in a row rather than 1 on top and 2 below it.

According to the spec number and decal on the shroud the engine I have in it right now was origionally powered Craftsman machine of some sort,It is a HH120. Im going to work on the HH100 that came in it, but since the HH120 runs terriffic I decided to use it.

I figured the I pole on the new switch would be "ign" so that made me think... Magneto or the M pole on the old switch and L pole which I assume would be the same as accessory so I connected the headlight and cigarette lighter to the A pole on the new switch. The wire to the light and cig lighter go hot when they are supposed to, the lights dont work because the switch is bad. I get powre to one side of the switch but not the other no matter which way I switch it.

Can anyone shed some light on why the engine will not start when I hook the center wire from the engine harness to the I pole on the ign switch? Did I assume wrong when interpreting the letters on the new switch. Wyhen I unhook the wirer from the I pole the engine starts and runs like a top but wont shut off by the key. Could I have bought the wrong switch? I got it at NAPA, it says it replaces WH 103990 and John Deere AM 102544,AM 31995. The connectors are as followes, they are t=of the flat variety situated like this.... __ __

__ __

__

I sure would appreciate any help you can offer me.

John

TT

STOP IMMEDIATELY!, John. :USA:

103990 is a battery ignition switch and is feeding 12 VDC power to the kill wire of the solid-state ignition through the "I" terminal. It should have "cooked" the coil by now, but (luckily) it sounds like it hasn't. :)

103991 is one of the OEM switches used on the magneto-equipped newer :wh: models and would probably work in your application. Some of the MTD / AYP tractors would also have the correct switch for mag ignition. I believe I have seen them at TSC, Lowe's, and perhaps even Ace hardware.

Horse'n Around

Whew, Thank you soooooooo much Terry. Evidentally I got extremely lucky, it doesnt seem to have hurt anything. I can go right out and it starts right up. I sure appreciate your help!!!! :):USA: .I have the engine tuned so it starts immedietly and when it cranked a couple of turns and didnt start I immedietly knew something was wrong and disconnected the wire. When I tried it after that and every time after it started like a charm. Luckily the Lord looks out for Childern, drunks and fools.. and I dont drink :wh:

Ill go get the correct switch tomorrow, I feel like a dope, I should have asked which switch to buy, I didnt know there was a diffference. Now I do ! I owe you big time !!!!!

Thank you again!

John

Horse'n Around

Im still looking for the correct switch locally, boy living in a small town here is a bummer. Im going to try and get it ordered.

John