Sign in to follow this  
Lowflyer

C141 update re bad vibration

Lowflyer

Hi all, here is an update re the bad vibration and rattle etc on my C141.

As mentioned before there was a fractured fin on the flywheel and I guess this had been missing for a while when it was with the previous owner.

I have spent the afternoon removing the shroud and yes went ahead and trimmed the opposite fin off with an angle grinder.

Not the best option as many of you posted on this group, but after putting everything back together and starting up there was a 100% improvement I am happy to say. the engine ran smoothly at tickover and full power.

I trimmed the opposite fin as closely matching to the fractured one as I could and rounded all the sharp edges. I seem to have got them very equal as the improvement is incredible.

I was quite surprised by the weight of the fin removed and no wonder I had such a pronounced out of balance engine.

I will keep an eye open over here for a perfect flywheel and would replace it if one comes up, but until then I am happy with the result.

Thanks again for all the imput.

Roly C141 Dorset U.K. :)

Kelly

Glad it helped but as you said do replace it when you can, did you smooth out the broken one also??

Lowflyer

Hi Kelly, yes got both sides very smooth and equal, then sprayed them black.

I am sure a few on the group will be upset by my action, but with no replacement flywheel being imminent I had nothing to lose and I am happy that I now have a smooth running motor.

Roly C141 Dorset U.K.

Kelly

Remember a 10, 12, 14 and 16hp will fit, even off other brands of machines.

neil

hi Rolly

i have a complete 12 hp pull start engine that is just sat in my shed would be ideal for parts for your 141

i live nr Taunton Somerset

Save Old Iron

as an additional safety measure, the flywheel could be maganfluxed by a local machine shop to check for any cracks in the metal

magnaflux also makes a 3 part liquid kit for the "home user"